Black Relationships : Chivalry Ain't Dead: It Was Just On Life Support!

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by Mike Ramey, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Mike Ramey

Mike Ramey Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17
    Chivalry: Off the ‘Injured Reserved’ List
    By Mike Ramey
    Let’s open our commentary today with an icebreaker.

A well-known feminist crusader came home late one evening. Tired from spending much of her day as a ‘champion’ of women’s rights, she comes home to a darkened house, heads upstairs to her bedroom, changes clothes, and gets into bed.

About an hour later, she hears noises downstairs. Her first thought: A break-in!
    Anxiously, she nudges her husband.
    “I hear noises downstairs!” She whispers, with a sense of urgency.
    “That’s nice, dear.” Groans her husband.
    “Well, aren’t YOU going to do anything about it?”
    “Isn’t this an EQUAL relationship?”
    “Well, what’s THAT got to do with THIS?”
    “I’m exercising my EQUALITY. It’s YOUR TURN to take care of THIS!”

Now, to some, this dialogue may be a bit on the sarcastic side, but I hope you get my point. When the chips are down, and when the going gets tough, gender roles are encoded into our DNA.

Wishing won’t change them.

Court decisions won’t change them.

And, lectures won’t change them.

It’s NORMAL for a man to protect his family from ALL intruders, and it NORMAL for a man to be chivalrous.

Chivalry, the art of treating women with respect, courtesy, and a sense of protection, HAS been on the ‘injured reserve’ quite a few years. If I would have to pick an exact year when that took place, I would have to go back to the start of the Women’s Liberation Movement in the 1970s. The ‘patient’ was diagnosed with ‘Testosterone Syndrome’, ordered sedated, and confined to a hospital bed.

Several decades have passed. Many young women of today have found in the quest to ‘define’ their ‘individuality’, the rhetoric of feminism has encouraged a whole new breed of barbarians at the gate.
    Some of them are WOMEN, much to their amazement and horror.

The call has gone out for MEN to return to their traditional role of protector and provider. This ALSO means that we have to re-institute the basic premise that goes against the tenets of feminism. Women NEED protecting and can’t protect themselves.

Unfortunately, chivalry is something that is NOT taught in a classroom, or a diversity seminar. It takes a man to teach other men HOW to be chivalrous.

Thus, the cry has gone up, by a feminized society, for REAL men.

One who knows how to ‘tip’ his hat to a lady. One who knows how to ‘shield’ a woman from attackers and predators. And--dare I say it--one who knows how to open doors, pull out chairs, and bring his sweetheart flowers, candy, and even propose marriage when HE knows the time is right.

Yep! Doggone it! Society WANTS REAL MEN!

Men--just like the men--who grew up with dear, ol’ Dad!

This must FRUSTRATE some Women’s Groups to have to actually ‘go public’ with their ‘wondering’ about the ‘lack’ of men on college and university campuses.

More and more of them are going into the military--the LAST bastion of chivalry, honor, and manhood.

Think I am making this up? What is the driving theme behind many of the so-called, big money ‘chick flicks’ that criss-cross the various entertainment venues of today? Why, a man who can make a woman feel ‘safe and secure’. A man who knows how to woo, in a romantic fashion, while making sure that the woman does not fall prey to the various barbarians and predators along the road of life! A man who will, to the cost of his own life if need be, protect the woman with whom he has become ‘linked’.

Those, my friend, are among the hallmarks of chivalry--which is a by-product of healthy manhood. If one were to add a few more explosions, a bit more gunfire, and raise the body count, by golly you would have the same theme emerging from many of our ‘action adventure’ offerings on the silver screen.

REAL men may have been on life support and confined to a hospital bed at the whim of the various social engineers and think tank experts. However, many of these same ‘experts’ have found--in the last few years--that the world is NOT the ‘friendly utopia’ that many wished it would be.

There ARE dangerous types out there.

It is going to take REAL men to raise their sons with a sense of duty, honor, and honesty to combat the evils that do exist. Men, just like the men who grew up with dear ol’ Dad!

I KNOW that a lot of WOMEN are glad to see the return of REAL men.

Even die-hard feminists who hear noises in the night.

Mike Ramey is a writer and minister who lives in Indianapolis, Indiana. His monthly, syndicated column THE MANHOOD LINE appears around the world on various websites. To correspond, drop an email to manhoodline@ yahoo.com. © 2002 Mike Ramey/Barnstorm Communications.:jawdrop: :bomb:

2. Solo

Solo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Tech Support for an ISP
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with this. In my opinion, the feminist movement prett much killed chivalry. U know what I say sometimes? Chivalry is dead because some b.... killed him. By this I mean that a once chivalrous man may have given it up because one 2 many females decided it wasn't "cool", or didn't appreciate his efforts.

Now I consider myself a chivalrous man, a gentleman and a scholar...of course this hasn't gotten me anywhere with the ladies....

3. Mike Ramey

Mike Ramey Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17
    We're seeing a comeback!

I believe that we are seeing a comeback. Women LIKE a brother who can treat them right...no matter WHAT the newspapers and 'Talking Heads' on television might say.

Have you ever noticed that the 'advice' shows and threads are FILLED with all kinds of drama? The upright brother is in the MINORITY, it seems. That is, until you MEET the right LADY.

REAL women like REAL men who will treat them RIGHT! No matter what the RAPPERS might say.

Mike Ramey

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Although I can admit that feminism is a contributing factor to this issue/problem, I can not lay all of it at the feet of the feminist movement.

Yeah, most of all of those "Independent Women" are probably some LONELY women. LOL!

But, a man can't be like "dear ol' Dad" if he didn't have a Dad as an example.

5. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448
    Life support??! LOL It's been in a comatose state for so long it's vegetated...str8 brain dead, pissing in a catheter, and being fed BS through a tube...With little to no chance of rehabilitation.

6. Dre Money

Dre Money Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +143
    When I think of the word Chivalry, I imagine men fighting over women.