Black People : CHIRAQ: "It is culture and environment," Arewa Karen Winters, Loury's great-aunt, told the Tribune.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by skuderjaymes, May 11, 2016.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    The streets were cruelly efficient to Pierre Loury. An arrest record at age 14, shot to death by police at 16. Authorities said he ran from a car that had been pulled over because it resembled a vehicle involved in an earlier shooting. He allegedly threatened an officer with a gun and was shot in the chest.

The details of Pierre Loury's death are in dispute — the family has filed suit. The story of Pierre Loury's life is more complete, thanks to a compelling Tribune account this week by reporters Alexis Myers and Jeremy Gorner.

Loury, who grew up in drug-infested North Lawndale, was a gang member on probation for his role at age 15 in an assault and robbery on a CTA train. He skipped school, stole from his family. His mother and stepfather wanted to believe in the teen's better nature but lost their hold on him — to the streets.

"It is culture and environment," Arewa Karen Winters, Loury's great-aunt, told the Tribune. Then she cited a gang coda so chillingly obvious that Loury's mother, Tambrasha Hudson, joined in for the last four words: "You gonna ride with us or we are gonna hurt you and hurt your family."

Loury was killed April 11. A few days later, Chicago passed the 1,000 mark for shooting victims this year — a pace faster than those of the previous few years. Last weekend's casualties totaled 51 shot, eight fatally. It is a horrifying, unfathomable roll call: Nathan Hicks, 16, shot in the chest on a sidewalk in East Garfield Park. Andres Rivera, 58, felled by an apparent stray bullet to the head at his dinner table in Archer Heights …

There have been about 200 homicides this year, a pace 50 percent higher than that of 2015. To tease apart the risk factors that put Pierre Loury and many others on the thin margin between safety and violence is discouraging. His great-aunt's insight — "it is culture and environment" — speaks to social and economic currents that run deep through the history of troubled Chicago neighborhoods.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...e-loury-algorithm-edit-md-20160510-story.html

2. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Actually it's long overdue that we stopped seeing ourselves as victims (rather than just empower those who also prey on other blacks in our midst by default)!!!

fyi

3. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    All way back during the eras of slavery and segregation:

Our plight has been falsely characterized of us being unable or unwilling to save ourselves...

The facts easily dispute that: Either by black resistance among enslaved black people or black grassroots black grassroots efforts to end segregation...

Also the black led Urban Rebellions reflect all of the above..

Please do consider more positive means to express how you feel and
    also more progressive means that you also hope will empower us ( who also seek to end halt black homicides) etc

fyi

4. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    On point brutha Chuck. For decades the so called black leaders has instilled in many of us that we were the victims, and someone else was to blame for our lot in life. Also I grew up in the chi, in the Robert Taylor jects. I can tell you that if you was about going to school, and didn't associate with the gangs, or engage in the things the things they did, you were basically left alone. It's too many past, and current examples to prove what I say is true.

Peace!

5. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Also the real issues originate with who actually condone (not condemn) what the real bad guys do to make a buck...

And, only because of its misleading fantasy tripping is gangsta rap becoming a issue, whereas real white gangsters were (or are the problem) in many U. S. cities...

fyi

6. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I would say there is no one person or system. The parents (in most cases, parent) engage in many of these activities. I know personally a few mommas that fit this bill, then yell "free my son/daughter" when they get locked up.

Peace!

7. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    The progression.. or regression.. is from Left to Right. Like Karen said, "it's Culture (and environment)."

[​IMG]

8. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    During All eras:

There are those who either just make excuses
    or are truly striving to make a difference!!

fyi

9. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I agree, but there is a system in place that makes these situations. For example, what did they think was going to happen when they tore down the housing projects, and just placed those folks just anywhere? They have vacant lots that were vacant when I was a child that they have built housing on. Not for us, they have pushed us out, but for the Arabs and Asians.

Here's an example...

Would breaking down Chicago's segregation turn into gentrifying neighborhoods by slowly pushing out the existing black population?

I don't think it has to be gentrification. Many of these neighborhoods have large numbers of vacant homes and vacant lots. I think there's room to bring new people in and add them to the people who are already there for many years before we run out of room for both. Unlike on the North Side, where there isn't the room, and somebody has to leave. Just don't come in acting like you've discovered something you can fix. Accept that there are people who have been there, who have been working to maintain and improve these neighborhoods.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/real...-help-chicagos-black-neighborhoods-would-they

Peace!

10. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Yes, back during of eras of segregation, the policies of the federal goverment led to the buiding of public housing products, and the denial our people's right of personal home ownership ( by local racist white home sellers)...

But this is now is now (in 2016)!

I. e., other ethnic groups in general (and whites in particular), fled from parts of nearby Dearborn and Dearborn Heights, when ther jobs got oursourced to other nations too...

Hence: Also what's led to the mass migration of both chaldean christians and muslim arab immigrants to this state...

But any blacks here also remember the racist rants of Dearborn's longlist serving white mayor...

Also, white bigots target Dearborn's muslim population, whenever the mainstream media presents less than fair coverage about who is actually an 'islamist terrorist', as well...

That includes other cities after those 9-11-01 era attacks...

My point:

Be cautious who else you also blame for our people's woes in 2016!!

fyi