Black People : Chinese teen defaces Egypt temple; sparks outcry

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, May 28, 2013.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Could it possibly be their so-called #1 world status that causes such rude behavior?

[​IMG]

Chinese teen defaces Egypt temple; sparks outcry

BEIJING (AP) -- A Chinese teenager who defaced an ancient temple in Egypt with graffiti has come under fire at home where his vandalism prompted public fretting about how to cultivate a good image overseas as more newly affluent Chinese travel abroad.
    The teen scratched "Ding Jinhao visited here" in Chinese on a temple wall in the ancient city Luxor, and the incident came to light when another Chinese tourist posted a photo of it on a popular microblog with the comment: "My saddest moment in Egypt. Ashamed and unable to show my face."

The photo quickly caught the attention of the Chinese public, attracting thousands of comments, and someone was able to identify the person responsible for the graffiti as 15-year-old Ding Jinhao from the eastern city of Nanjing. Many criticized Ding's act as an embarrassment to the country.

http://news.yahoo.com/chinese-teen-defaces-egypt-temple-135035477.html

[​IMG]
    In this photo taken Monday May 6, 2013, the Chinese words "Ding Jinhao visited here" is seen on bas-relief in the 3,500-year-old Luxor temple in Luxor, Egypt. A Chinese teenager who defaced the ancient temple in Egypt with graffiti has come under fire at home where his vandalism prompted public fretting about how to cultivate a good image overseas as more newly affluent Chinese travel abroad.(AP Photo) CHINA OUT

Peace In,

2. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

Nah, I don't think. I believe it was just a teen thinking he was doing something daring and cool that'd get him noticed. Teens all over do that sort of stuff; maybe not to this degree, but not all have a chance to. Rude behavior from teens is from land to land. I think they showed a great deal of humility with even saying they didn't raise him right, and shows how they were still protecting the young boy, their son.

Also posting it up not denying it was a shame shows some sense of owning up for their own, so aside from the defacing, I don't see where they went wrong.

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Avoiding any kind of debate here, the question becomes, how did they raise him? Also, the comments below point to a wider problem:

Many criticized Ding's act as an embarrassment to the country.
    "Why there are so many citizens who go abroad and humiliate us? How many generations will it take to change this kind of behavior?" Xuan Kejiong, a prominent journalist with Shanghai Television, wrote on his microblog.

"Nowadays, people in China no longer want for food and clothing, and even in the luxury shops abroad, there are advertisement posters in Chinese," the paper wrote in a commentary. "But many people also feel as though their 'hands are full but hearts are empty.' In the process of modernization, how have the people come to lack modern manners and consciousness?"
    The outcry prompted Ding's parents to publicly apologize.

Had it not been for public outcry, I'm not so sure they would have apologize publicly...

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,729
    :11100:check...

5. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Hey Clyde :wave: Great topic!! I am gonna agree with Angela tho. This is a teen being rebellious and careless. he caused his parents grief and embarrassment and needs to be disciplined.

6. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    The Chinese are the new "Ugly Americans."

7. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I wonder if the folk who think this was just "teenage hijinks" would feel the same way if the little stankin' punk carved graffiti on their mothers' gravestones?

What about the MLK statue in Washington, D.C. Okay for foreigners to come here and scratch "Killroy was here!" on his statute? If not, why? Because his is a NEW statute, unlike the monuments in Egypt that black ancestors erected thousands of years ago?

8. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

Possibly to protect their child as most parents would do; sure, he did something wrong, but many parents don't want that kind of shame and embarrassment placed on their kid.

And lots of people talk about their own countries manners, especially with their youth. And also often criticize how kids are being raised not to respect anything.

9. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Well boo-hoo! The parents don't want that kind of "shame" put on their kid. I'm sure the black people who erected that statute don't want his graffiti defacing it, either.

Oh, and other than the stupid "we bad parents" who-gives-a-crap, have the parents said anything about paying to have it restored!? That's "real" remorse. Oh, and should they decide to visit the U.S., invite them to your house. Little sucka come to my house scratching up my good furniture and it will be ME apologizing to the police for that foot stuck up his.....

10. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    just remember chinese teens aren't the only ones being rude and obnoxious. We have our own rebellious seeds running around here too..