Black People : Chinese court upholds death sentences for coal mine bosses responsible for deadly 200

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by skuderjaymes, Dec 1, 2010.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    A Chinese court Wednesday upheld the death sentences with two year reprieves given to two mine bosses found responsible for a gas explosion that killed 76 people at a central China coal mine last year.

The sentences were the first time mine bosses in China held responsible for a fatal accident were given the death penalty.

The provincial high court in Henan Province rejected the appeals of Li Xinjun, former head of the No. 4 coal mine in the Xinhua District of Pingdingshan City, and Han Erjun, former deputy head of the mine.

The court also rejected appeals filed by three other managers of the mine who were sentenced to 13 years, 15 years and life imprisonment respectively.

The Intermediate Court of Pingdingshan City sentenced the five mine bosses on November 16 for neglecting safety procedures and forcing miners to work underground despite knowing the mine lacked adequate safety measures.

The blast ripped through the No. 4 mine in Pingdingshan City on September 8, 2009, as 93 miners worked underground, killing 76 and injuring 15 others.

The mine was under technological renovation at the time of the blast and did not have a safe production license, the court has found.

China's coal mines are notorious for deadly accidents. More than 2,600 miners were killed in mine accidents in China last year, a number significantly less than in previous years.

more here...

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Now it would be something if they could only show the same due dilligence to Black people

Zambia charges 2 Chinese officials with attempted murder

October 19, 2010|By Chibaula D. Silwamba, For CNN

Officials in Zambia have charged two Chinese mine managers with the attempted murder of 11 of their employees at a coal mine in the southern part of the African country last week.

The suspects, Xiao Li Shan and Wu Jiu Hua, are expected to remain in custody as they await trial.

The managers at the Chinese-run Collum coal mine in Sinazongwe district -- some 186 miles (300 kilometers) south of the capital, Lusaka -- allegedly shot and wounded 11 miners during a work dispute, said Sinazongwe District Commissioner Oliver Pelete and Zambia Police Inspector-General Francis Kabonde.

The mine's management has repeatedly locked horns with its employees over the years because of pay and working conditions. In June, about 22 miners were injured underground.

The Zambian government closed the mine, temporarily, because it lacked adequate safety standards last year.

After the shooting, Zambian Labour Deputy Minister Simon Kachimba warned the government would not allow investors to abuse workers, the state-run Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation (ZNBC) reported. He did not specifically single out companies from China.

The Asian giant is a significant investor in Zambia , which is rich in coal and copper reserves.

But its companies fall under near constant criticism from labor unions, opposition politicians and ordinary people over what they say are the unsafe working conditions and low wages offered to locals by the Chinese-run firms.

Mines Minister Maxwell Mwale and other government ministers have warned Chinese investors to abide by Zambian laws and to do a better job of protecting their employees.

Opposition leader Michael Sata, who partly campaigned on an anti-China platform during the 2006 elections, has repeatedly condemned what he sees as Chinese investors' mistreatment of local workers.

The worst accident involving a Chinese company in Zambia happened in 2005 when close to 50 people were killed in an explosion at the Beijing General Research Institute of Mining and Metallurgy factory in the town of Chambishi.

www.cnn.com

3. Istari

Istari Well-Known Member MEMBER

taking care of my family and myself
    Ratings:
    +152
    China is doing what the Europeans have been doing for hundreds of years and is still doing to Mother Africa…..Deplete it of it’s natural resources and harvest its people as slaves….

4. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Exactly!

The China of today is a monstrosity of imperialist greed that Sun Yat Sen would hate to see,
    but acually is the fulfilment of Chaing Kai Chek's dreams.

We of African descent would benefit from looking at what is realy going on and the fact that the few who rule now could care less about the masses or true Communism,
    and have created a plutocracy that Mao, and Chiao en Lai would not recognize!

5. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Funny thing is the only thing we know about what china is doing in Africa is what whites tell us they are doing. Since when do we trust Cnn?

6. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    what is it that you did not read?

the numerous amoutn of black folks who are enraged about this are posted on the other thread dealing with this issue

So realy why is there so much love for a nation that is no longer communist, and treats tis own people like crap?

And realy with the kind of money China has, they can easily queit any press abou their excesses

How much is the US in the hole to them?

7. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Couldn't find anything about the Zambia incident in either the Final Call or the Guardian. But what do they know? If cnn says it happened it happened.

8. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    So I guess Africans from 52 nations have no news sites on the web, or the Zambian counselate,

and that the testimony of African officials means absolutly nothing?????????????????????????????????????

maybe folks are right white people have been killing us so long so why be sellfish

we need to let the Chineses get a shot at it now:10500:

9. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Zambia: Gov’t accused of ignoring workers
    Posted on Wednesday 20 October 2010 - 16:53

Chongo Kabange,
    AfricaNews reporter in Lusaka, Zambia

A cross section of Zambia society has launched blitzkrieg attacks on the Zambian government for failing to take punitive action against Chinese investors that are abusing Zambian workers and abrogating labour laws.
    Trade unions, civil society, opposition political parties, the church and youth movements have expressed disapproval at the way authorities in Lusaka handle labour matters involving Chinese investors.

And a Zambian opposition leader has accused the government of “colluding” with Beijing in the abuse of the country’s workers after two Chinese mine managers were arrested for allegedly shooting 11 of their employees.

The incident occurred on Friday after workers protested about their pay and working conditions at the Chinese-owned Collum coal mine, 200 miles south of the capital, Lusaka.

Two Chinese managers allegedly responded by opening fire into the crowd of miners, 11 of whom were wounded. The managers have been charged with attempted murder. Nine of the workers have been discharged from hospital, while two await surgery.

The mine had been closed by authorities in 2006, after reports that workers were being sent underground without proper protective clothing. It had since been allowed to reopen.

Winter Kabimba, secretary-general of the opposition Patriotic Front, said the arrests did not atone for years of malpractice by Chinese companies. “There is no doubt that the Chinese companies have been colluding with the Zambian government in the mistreatment of Zambian workers,” he said.

Many Chinese companies paid “slave wages”, he said, and routinely ignored safety regulations and labour laws. “The government has turned a blind eye to all these breaches,” he said. “It is a form of colonialism.”

www.africanews.com

10. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I hope everyone here at destee.come is paying attention and reading this. Brotha Ankhur has us all worked up over something he read in cnn yet even allafrica.com has nothing to say about it.
    http://allafrica.com/zambia/

But I'm sure the brotha has an explanation for that, don't you, Ankhur.