Children having children

NNQueen,

We definitely must be proactive. One place to start is our own home and family. I don't have any children, but every so often, I teach a class for family members. Each child receives a book, "What's happening to my body for girls or What's happening to my body for boys". We talk about issues and they open up to me easier than their own parents. It has become a big hit. We discuss the pros and cons of certain decisions.

This is definitely a new age and children are maturing faster than ever. We must continue to work toward stronger families and communities and teach our children to be at peace with their decisions despite the peer pressure from others. We must try our best to protect our children from certain aspects of corruption. It is definitely harder to do that now.

Also through my volunteer work, I try to make a difference. If our children don't get positive attention from family, they will seek negative attention. Some children are in communities where they never see an intact family or know anyone who graduated from college. They live what they know until they are exposed to something different. We must work to give them opportunities. This is why I am so adamant about parents working together for the sake of their children regardless of their differences.

All very good points, Regina! I would be interested in knowing more about the class you teach to families, what some of the issues are that youth raise and how you respond to questions.

Also, what is some of the advice you give to parents to encourage them to work together for the sake of their children regardless of their differences?

I think that would be excellent information to have available here at the Forums, don't you? This is another proactive way that we can begin to broadcast solutions in direct relationship to issues and concerns that are raised.

What do you think?

Peace!

I have a class for the girls and a class for the boys. This works best and keeps the embarrassment at bay. At the beginning of class, they are given a test of twenty questions. The test covers basic things they should know about their bodies and other information. Most of them flunk the test! They are shocked because they think they know everything. One question for the girls is, "What is the correct term for a female's monthly cycle?" I have gotten all kinds of answers.

I have visual aids, charts and provide other classroom materials. We have hands on assignments. I am honest with the children when they ask questions, even personal questions about how I have dealt with issues. I give them examples of decisions others have made. I stress to them a smart person is one who learns from her/his mistakes but an even smarter person learns from the mistakes of others. Some of the questions I get are "How do you properly insert a tampon (girls)? and Why do I sometimes wake up and the bed is wet (boys) because a part of my body is reacting in a weird way?

After the class, I treat them to dinner. They like the class and I have had a lot of positive feedback from their parents also. Some of the parents have talked with their children about various topics and some haven't. It opens the door for communication and lets the children know we are trying to show them the way.

I encourage parents not to involve their children in adult matters. Don't let them be your sounding board when you are upset with the other parent. Don't put the children in the middle. If you truly love your children, love them enough not to be bitter and emotionally scar them. Don't try to ruin the other parent, emotionally or financially, because in the end, the children suffer. I encourage them to not fight it out in the courts, but work together through some sort of mediation. Their finances are only going to the lawyers and the people in the court system when it should go towards their children's future. I am so tired of seeing the court battles over trivial issues. Our children deserve a childhood where they don't have to worry about food, shelter, clothing or continuous conflict at home. It is a fact that when fathers are allowed to be more involved in their children's lives, the children suffer less financially and emotionally.

I think it a good idea. Let me know if you would like me to do an outline of the course, etc.

Peace, my sister.

I am in the age of young girls and I don't have sex and if I do have sex I will protect myself with birth control. I plan to have sex when I get married. Every girl is different. All girls aren't alike. My mom talks to me all the time about sex. Even though I am very tempted to have sex I do not succumb to temptation because I know sex before marriage is wrong. But if I do have sex before I get married I will ask God to forgive me. Reply if you have something to say about what I wrote!!!!!!!! :)

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back