Black History Culture : Cherokee Indians: We are free to oust blacks

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Amnat77, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    OKLAHOMA CITY — that some wealthy Cherokee owned black slaves who worked on their plantations in the South. By the 1830s, most of the tribe was forced to relocate to present-day Oklahoma, and many took their slaves with them. The so-called Freedmen are descendants of those slaves.
    After the Civil War, in which the CherokeeThe nation's second-largest Indian tribe said on Tuesday that it would not be dictated to by the U.S. government over its move to banish 2,800 African Americans from its citizenship rolls.
    "The Cherokee Nation will not be governed by the BIA," Joe Crittenden, the tribe's acting principal chief, said in a statement responding to the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs.
    Crittenden, who leads the tribe until a new principal chief is elected, went on to complain about unnamed congressmen meddling in the tribe's self-governance.
    The reaction follows a letter the tribe received on Monday from BIA Assistant Secretary Larry Echo Hawk, who warned that the results of the September 24 Cherokee election for principal chief will not be recognized by the U.S. government if the ousted members, known to some as "Cherokee Freedmen," are not allowed to vote.
    The dispute stems from the fact
    fought for the South, a treaty was signed in 1866 guaranteeing tribal citizenship for the freed slaves
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4451602...e-are-free-oust-blacks/#.TnEjeKVeZAR.facebook

2. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Have you ever heard or read about the Freedmen Descendants of the (so called) Five Cilivized Nations...A link to their website is on the world wide web...

Otherwise thank you for what you have shared with us here...

FYI...

3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    they are some b!tches for that....
    effectively rewriting their constitution....
    they give all native americans a bad name....

one love
    khasm

4. IntelligentNoire

IntelligentNoire Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +148
    Didn't some of them have that rep anyway. I've never understood why blacks idolize natives. True there were some good ones, but there were some that participated in slavery and other cruelties against blacks same as whites. I am not surprised by this. not surprised at all. I am surprised that blacks are surprised.

5. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I don't care....Native Americans can do what they want, as far as I'm concerned...

6. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    What an odd statement, i.e ., coming from somebody who isn't claiming to be one to somebody who does acknowledge any shared ancestry with this nation's first peoples etc.

7. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    There is much to admire about this nation's first peoples...There are also things non natives with a conscience regret hearing and seeing what happened to so many of them, during and after white centuries of white contact...But obviously you've either never read BLACK INDIANS: A HIDDEN HERITAGE nor a lot more about the legacy of the Black Seminoles etc. So in the first case, some things explain themeselves, but in the second case, if only more african americans could just be true to who they are and include us african native americans in the cultural/social/etc. mix to begin with? No shame if the mixes were chosen (not came about by chance)...FYI....

8. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

For some strange reason everytime i read something like this, the book "the hidden hand" pops into my mind and forces me to think about who else could be behind all of this sudden change...

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
  10. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Those expelled should form their own tribe.