Black Short Stories : Cherish

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by aqueenpassing, Dec 25, 2003.

1. aqueenpassing

aqueenpassing Well-Known Member MEMBER

Construction/ Project Asst
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cherish

“Life bestows many trials and tribulations upon you” cherish life today because tomorrow isn’t promised.”

Part 1
    An event in my life which has held great importance to me was the day my late boyfriend Kevin, died. One day Kevin and I were out in the street in front of my house playing a game of basketball, when suddenly , out of the shadows came an out of control champagne color vehicle that veered down our street , heading straight for us . Frozen with shock I maintained my position in the middle of the street as the vehicle approached me , I could hear the screams of the neighbors telling me to watch out ; I could feel my feet struggling to move , but there I stayed . Moments before what would have been my demise, I could peripherally see Kevin bolting towards me. Before I could realize the events that took place, Kevin shoved me to safety and heroically took my place in the path of the drunk driver behind the wheel of the vehicle. It was inevitable; Kevin was violently struck head on. He held on to the bumper as the vehicle dragged him ten yards. There Kevin’s mangled body clung on until the driver swerved and collided with a neighbors palm tree. Escaping my daze, I ran to his side. As I knelled down and sat placing his head in my lap, I balled hysterically as the paramedics came. I sat there as his crimson blood saturated my shorts and prayed he would live. Kevin died in my arms that day, on June 12, 1998. His death was sudden, unexpected, unsettling, and heroic. His death was a tragedy and I will forever mourn his death. Kevin and I were inseparable most of the time. The only time we were apart was when either he or I had to leave for work or school. We were truly in love and planned on being together for the rest of our lives. It was high school where Kevin and I met and began dating , I knew he was everything I had ever asked for in a life partner .He was caring , understanding , sensitive goal orientated , and educated .

Page 2

Kevin was a twenty-two year old graduate, whom was full of energy and ambition. He graduated from Peperdine University with an Associates degree in business, and a Bachelors degree in political science. He wanted to further his education in graduate school, about a year after he graduated Peperdine University. Kevin had big dreams of becoming a social justice lawyer in the future. Kevin’s future was the most important issue in his life at that time, even though he would frequently try to convince me that I was the most important. Unfortunately his life was concluded so rapidly that the future he dreamt of would never become reality. I now questioned my own dreams and future. What future did I have now with out Kevin he was everything to me and now he is gone. I became cold and bitter as the days, weeks and months went by. I promised my parents that I would finish school but it was just not the same anymore, I didn’t have the drive nor did I have the desire to go on. Everyone has been wonderful to me very caring and understanding especially my teachers, they all loved Kevin and had high hopes for him as well, he was thought of as the most likely to succeed and his personality shined with everyone, you either loved him or hated him. I keep close contact with his family I know how much they love me and they just assumed like my family that we would be married and have a family one day; it was just expected of us. His mother still calls sometimes asking if he is there and then she will catch herself and bust out crying hysterically, I can’t say she has lost it, because I find myself doing similar things from time to time, like picking up the phone to call him, or driving over his house then I remember. I guess it will be a long time for us all to heal and go on with our lives, I am still not sure it is possible I can’t phantom life with out him and somehow, I don’t think I will ever be the same again.

Part 2
    In memory of Kevin

It has been four years now since Kevin died, I went on to finish school I have my master’s degree in medicine and I am currently working as a physicians assistant, I also dedicate hours to the MADD organization it some how makes me feel better, like maybe I am doing something to constitute Kevin’s death against the drunk driver who hit him, of course he is still doing time but it does not make it any easier to live with out Kevin. I promised my self that I would donate a wall to the Stanton Park once it was finished, for all the people killed by drunk drivers, I have been talking a lot about it to the chairman of the MADD organization, she also suffered a great lost years ago by a drunk driver and decided to founder the organization to make people more aware as well as put a better emphasis on the problem that the city seems to overlook. We meet twice a week and it is the only wonderful thing in my life right now. At Thursdays meeting Katherine introduced me to Michael Williams, he was tall and dark skinned very handsome man, whom seems to have an aura about him, he had the most beautiful smile I had ever seen, I found myself smiling and engaged in a wonderful conversation for the first time in a long time. I felt a little guilty at first and started to turn away, Michael caught my hand and said he understood, he felt that way to for awhile when he first lost his girlfriend, I turned back around and took a seat, he begin to tell me about his girlfriends death her name was Renee and he was so in love with her his eyes seem to light up and glisten when he mentioned her name and the things they use to do together. I found myself thinking if Kevin did that when he talked about me. Days went to weeks, we were starting to spend a lot of time together and we had become good friends, I found myself dragging him to our family gatherings my family and Kevin’s liked him very much he just seem to fit in. It was about 2 weeks away before the opening of Stanton Park and I was more determined then ever to make my honorary pledge to the city they were very receptive to the idea and said if I would foot the bill they would make the grand faunally along with the grand opening of the park. I started to do some pricing of the marble walls, Michael asked what I was doing and I told him my plan he said he would love to chip in and help
    Page 2

it would make him feel like he was really doing something special for Renee as well. By the end of the week we had enough money to purchase the marble as well as have all the names from the organization added to the marble. At the top of the wall I had a special tribute to Kevin It read: In dedication to Kevin Smith the most wonderful man the world would never know but for those of us who do we honor your presences in our lives and all those you have touched. There were 14 columns that were 12 feet high. The names engraved would only cover the first 6 columns with more to spare for the coming year and for those we have not learned of yet. Our hopes are that each year the names will decrease. I was so excited about the unveiling; no one knew what we had done, so I kept it a surprise until the park was open. The grand opening was set; I told the family and convinced everyone they had to be there. I picked up Kevin’s mother and brother while my family followed in another car we got to the park Michael meet us at the gate and directed us to our seats, since Michael and myself were contributors and represented MADD we had a seat on the proteome with the mayor and city council. I could see my mother wandering what the heck was going on me and Michael giggled as we watched them chatter back in forth between them selves trying to figure out what we were doing. The mayor gave his speech and others had there say, the time came for us to un-veil the marble wall, Katherine stood up to speak and talk on the MADD plans and insight for the coming year, she then introduced me and Michael we stood up as we grabbed each others hands we made our way to the proteome, the microphone was much louder than I thought so I was startled by my voice. I would like to thank everyone at the MADD organization for their dedication and support to the community the victim’s families and the city, the mayor and city council for giving us this wonderful opportunity to honor our loved ones lost. So with out further a do I would like to take this moment to direct you all to the left, you will notice a huge construction site with a crane near it, “Can we please un-veil the wall”

Page 3

at that moment the crane un-hooked the large plastic covering as it dropped to the ground you could hear the crowd roar with excitement, “ladies and gentlemen” this wall will now be a permanent fixture in the Stanton park to remind us all of all the loved ones we have lost and will loose in the coming years each year the names of the those lost will be added to the wall in remembrance. I would like to honor the following the love of my life Kevin Smith 1998, Renee Jenkins 1997, Conrad Smith 1997 and the list went on and on for another 20 min. After the reading of all the names, I grabbed Kevin’s mom’s hands and guided her to the wall, she saw the dedication and begin to cry even more as she hugged and thanked me for all that I had done. I did not cry that day as my mother gave me a big hug and kiss, she told me she was proud of me and that Kevin would be too. I knew he was smiling down from heaven, because at that very moment a gush of wind blew up toward his name as it caressed the marble, I knew he was saying thank you, I looked up to heaven closed my eyes and said goodbye for the first time and the last as I will cherish his memory forever as my life stretches ahead.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    whoa dis was a story within
    mo mo mo !!!
    part 4