Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Chemical Warfare Against Black Women - June 7th, 2003

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by Gary C. Booker, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Gary C. Booker

Gary C. Booker Well-Known Member MEMBER

Freelance Writer, Researcher
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Mantidote
    June 8th 2003

Cosmetic Chemical Warfare: Hair straightening and the mutilation of black women

Are you straightening your child's hair? Are you straightening your own hair? Then you should look closely at this mantidote. Never mind what Donald Rumsfield is telling you about chemical warfare... you are already a victim of chemical warfare and you don't even realize it. I am not going to focus on self-hatred and hair straightening(that much), but the biochemical effects of repeatedly putting cosmetic chemical weapons in your hair. Are you being your own Chemical Ali?

Pay attention to the following picture on the bottom left. This is the back of a commonly used hair relaxer that says on the front "NO LYE RELAXER," as if you should be assured that it is safe to use. Yet on the back, it says "THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS CALCIUM HYDROXIDE AND GUANIDINE CARBONATE (TOXIC). YOU MUST FOLLOW DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY TO AVOID SKIN AND SCALP BURNS, HAIR LOSS AND EYE INJURY." It gives an entire list of things to do and not to do, including "IF RELAXER CAUSES SKIN OR SCALP IRRITATION, RINSE OUT IMMEDIATELY AND WASH WITH AN ACID-BALANCED SHAMPOO. IF IRRITATION PERSISTS OR IF HAIR LOSS OCCURS, CONSULT A PHYSICIAN." I laughed at that part because I thought, "It would be a bit late to call a physician after HAIR LOSS wouldn't it?" But it is no laughing matter.

Relaxing African American hair is extremely dangerous. Note that this thing basically told you that YOU ARE PUTTING TOXIC INTO YOUR HAIR. Even if nothing goes "wrong," it would only be smart to wonder exactly what you are doing to your hair. URL=http://www.peterschemical.com/calcium_hydroxide_or_hydrated_li.htm]Calcium Hydroxide[/URL] is also known as "Hydrated Lime." In general, it is a chemical designed to break down things into components, as acids do. Acids donate a proton in a chemical reaction. A "Base" accepts the proton. Something that is neither an acid nor a base is called "neutral" and has a pH level of 7. When an acid and base come together, they balance each other out but can sometimes produce very violent chemical reactions. So exactly what does "ACID-BALANCED" mean? Does it mean that the acidic effect of the perm is balanced out by a base or does it mean that it has a neutral base? Funny that a perm info site comes up when you do a search for the term "acid-based" on yahoo. On this particular perm site is a section on "acid-balanced perms" that says, "acid balanced perms have a pH range of approximately 4.5 to 6.5 and usually penetrate the hair more slowly." Hmmmm... but what about "acid-balanced shampoos?" Most of them are the same way... seems like "acid-based" has been a commercial term for "relatively low acid." But the acid is still there.

I have heard reports of Autopsies of black women where there have been found astonishing and horrifying amounts of lime under their scalp. Now you know where it comes from. It comes from hair straightening products. The label also mentioned a toxic chemical Guanidine Carbonate , which is also a commonly used for pesticides as well as explosives! Really, is it worth it? Is it worth whatever cosmetic goal in which a sister is trying to obtain committing harmful acts of chemical warfare upon herself and/or her children?

As fo the brthers reading this mantidote... I pose a question for you... is your standard of beauty harmful to the health of black women? committing harmful acts of chemical warfare upon herself and/or her children?

Thaken from this months first mantidote

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    One would think that after reading this, companies that sell these chemical hair products would immediately crash and burn (pardon the pun)...because Black women will suddenly stop chemicalizing their hair. But sadly, how many women will read this, understand it, and still make that hair appointment because they need a "touch up" cause their edges are TOO nappy?

Ask yourself this, did the surgeon general's warning statement added to a pack of cigarettes stop people from smoking?

I don't mean to be a pessimist but let's face it, this information won't make a bit of difference to many sisters out there who have been brainwashed into thinking that the ONLY reason they like their hair permed is because it makes their hair easier to manage. They and many Black men are victims of the "silky, sleek, long and smooth" disease and it's terminal.

Nowadays we even have to give our hair a name....Afro...natural...perm...and so on. Only because we're living in someone else's society. Can you imagine what it would be like if there was a shortage of these chemicals and Black women couldn't get their hair permed? Scarey thought.

Madame C.J. Walker...what were you thinking??? :(

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    word !

4. Gary C. Booker

Ratings:
    +1
    Peace Sister Queen,
    I guess one has to eat the elephant one bite at a time. It is unfortunate that self hatred has been buried so deep that people will result to self mutilation to live up to a standard that has a 400+ year history of not living up to them.

But the information is our there and I am certain that at least one person perming will say "enough." If that happens, then all of the searching for the information was worth it. Within every woman is a potential to raise children to value who they are and what they were created to be.

Hope you folks are prepared for my mantidote next week... I'll be back from vacation so it will be time to groove. :)

GCB

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Brother Booker,
    I enjoy reading your articles. Yes, I definitely agree, you have put the information out there so no one reading it can now claim ignorance as an excuse. One person changing their behavior because you have helped them to free their minds and love themselves more naturally, is a powerful and beautiful thing. I encourage you to continue telling it like it is because I want you to know, your searching for information and sharing it here with us has not been in vain.

I hope you're enjoying your vacation and look forward to your return!! Bring it on! (And I ain't quoting Bush--can you believe he said that?? :eek: )

Peace,
    Queenie :heart:

6. Gary C. Booker

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you very much sister queen, :)
    Sometimes it can get difficult to stay on schedule writting these things... this isn't my only endeavor. But that's how I'm able to provide info straight from the frontlines of Black American issues. :)

My other mantidotes are posted. Hope to hear from you soon!

GCB

LOL @ the Bush comments... the President of Senegal has no idea what he's getting into.

7. emprezz

emprezz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings...

Just want to share something:

When I stopped perming my scalp went through all kinds of changes. For example, it smelled for months. Chemical? I say yes, it was the chemical leaving my body.

Great topic and I hope many many sistahs read this and give it serious thought.

Peace and Blessings!

8. Gary C. Booker

Ratings:
    +1
    Peace Sister emprezz,
    Thank you very much for sharing that. I am so glad you stopped. I've seen some NASTY pics of what perm has done to some sisters... and now you've liberated yourself from the attacks. Excellent. :)

GCB

9. lots of mamo

lots of mamo New Member MEMBER

preacher and in transportation
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive me

Hi I am Lot of mamo, please forgive me I am new at this,
    I need all the help I can get I thought that I was voting for your message,
    I thank God for your Love brother.

Thank You Lots of Mamo

10. divine_1

divine_1 Active Member MEMBER

Life Long Learner
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings Bro. B

I thank u so much for the knowledge shared. I am young but, fortunately i was taught from a very early age about the dangers of these hair "care"products. My hair has never been chemically treated. When I was younger, my parents constantly told me that regardless of what anybody says, I am beautiful the way my Creator made me and that i should never allow any one else's image of what beauty is or is not make me conform. I was comfotable with myself. I didn't need anybody to tell me who I was, because I understood that I know me better than anyone else ever can. Even with that knowledge, I faced opposition when I reacehd sixth or seventh grade. basically ALL of the young girls in my school had permed of straightened hair. That was around the time when the relaxer companies started to heavily promote no-lye, "natural" relaxers with natural additives. I was bombarded with different product names and why they were safe to use by my peers on a consistant basis. I can say with pride, that i never have or wanted to perm my hair because i knew of the damage that would last as a result.

On one level this shows the damage that can be done by deceitful traditions. My peers are conditioned to believe that perming their hair makes it more manageable and easier to control. Yeah, your hair is far more manageable when it's in your hands instead of on your head!
    On another level (a far deeper level) this shows the lasting damage that was done by the enslavement process. The sub-conscious/ unconscious self hate that is exhibited by so, so many of my sisters while they accept and attempt to conform to the standards of beauty set by some one else. To make it worse, that some one else tries at every available chance to look more like you!

Peace, and once again thank u