Pan Africanism : Changing 'black' studies for the times

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by dustyelbow, Dec 4, 2005.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    ###########################

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I think this is a necessary change in focus. My major in grad school was African Diaspora history. As I began to study the history and struggles of Blacks throughout the world, I understood how connected we are. The African American experience has never existed in a vacuum. We can only benefit by learning about our brothers and sisters in the African diaspora.

3. militant

militant Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Thats very very true. You always make sense when it comes to pan-africanist issues. The demographics of the diaspora is changing with the increased movement of African peoples from all over. It is only right that Black studies is updated.

Unfortunately, you will admit that such changes as proposed here could cause a sense of self-defence and even outright xenophobia amongst people who want to defend their ethnicities. I have gone to sites where I read that "Afro-American culture is under threat by influx of africans".

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Thank you brother Militant! I feel that I make sense when it comes to all issues, but I digress. Xenophobic attitudes are usually not prevelant among those who are conscious enough to undergo black studies. This is not to say that there are no African Americans who have xenophobic beliefs; however, those who do clearly do not see our connection with each other. The change in focus being proposed for black studies will help change this to some degree. It probably won't be possible for every black person in the Diaspora to develop PanAfrican beliefs/behavior. However this is not necessary. We only need enough to make significant changes in our social-economic & political postion worldwide. The rest will have to join in or be left behind.

5. militant

militant Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Very true. A movement gains momentum after its been built into something successful by the few people who believed it.