Change your 'do... you're fired!!!

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Slowly, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    Never underestimate the power of a Black woman's hairstyle to raise a ruckus. Whether activist Angela Davis's defiantly full 1970s blow-out or Rep. Cynthia McKinney's notorious shift from her trademark goddess braids to a free-form Afro, our hairstyles have been tied up in controversy.

The latest to-do over a hairdo comes from the syndicated reality television show Divorce Court, which just parted ways with its star judge of seven seasons, Mablean Ephriam, over a disagreement about money, taping schedules, and her hairstyle.

"They said I could not wear my own hair," said Ephriam, an African-American woman, in an interview with NiaOnline. "We'll give you more money, but if we do, we have a condition: You'll wear this wig during the contract period because we want to avoid any hair issues."

Ephriam had worn a wig during the previous season because some chemicals she had put on her hair had caused it to fall out, she explained. "I was wearing a wig until my hair grew back. I like wearing my own hair."

http://www.niaonline.com/NiaLD/NewDesign/homepage_channel/homepage_article/0,2011,3024,00.html

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Sistahs Sistahs Sistahs ABROAD:

PLEASE be yourself. If they can not accept you for who you are, then that is too bad for them! There are other people who will appreciate you for you. I would take a DEEPER, DEEPER look into why this is such a "controvery." I can assure you that it did not, and does not come by surprise, or happenstance!
    Please take a deeper look into it, BEFORE you decide to change yourself, ONLY for "boss-man/woman" to accept you.

By the way, Kudos :welldone: to those Sistahs who decided NOT to change, just because they were not accepted by one person or another.

KD