Black People : Challenging The Term - White Supremacy

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Peace and Blessings Family,

For a number of months, maybe even years, Brother Kemetkind has challenged me regarding the term, white supremacy. Most of this time, i didn't really understand what he was challenging. It seemed originally that he challenged if the conditions surrounding the term existed. But now, finally, i realize it is the term itself, that he does not like.

As i've thought on it more, i tend to agree with him.

When Mr. Fuller last visited us, i asked him why he chose this term, instead of Black Supremacy / Black / Non - Black.

If no mistake, he said it was because when someone is sizing up their opponent (in a military sense), they don't make the mistake of under-estimating them. He said you wouldn't say, the white inferiors, are the problem, for if that were true, they'd not be the inferiors. Also, it does something in building cohesiveness in your army, to recognize the power of the opponent. It was something like that, not word for word.

But just saying this term does seem to give them power.

I remember Brother Omowale had posted somewhere on the forum, regarding when this term was first used, and by who. I'll have to try and find that, but it wasn't Mr. Fuller. I believe it was way before Mr. Fuller's time.

So this thread isn't about the conditions surrounding the term, but the term itself.

I believe it was Sister True that said ... white lunacy ... which seems more fitting.

I don't know ... what do you all think?

Has the term itself ... white supremacy ... outlived its usefulness for us?

Should we come up with a different term, that is less empowering to them, and more empowering to us?

Or does it even matter what we call it?

:heart:

Destee

2. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    As you may or may not recall, I also said that there was nothing "supreme" about them. I further stated that what we are actually suffering from is "white domination"....meaning that they have the "white force" by weapons alone to instill their will and their ways over and against our will and our ways. In essence, they dominate the media, the education, the law, the economics, the so called justice system and all other things...but they do it with the known knowledge that they have the "physical force" to put and keep it in place...a force that the people are in fear of who do not have the same force.

3. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    but y'all still don't hear me tho

finally a beginning!! eventually you will stop this focusing on this silly "white supremelunacy"!!

again, i sometimes wish i were nearly as adroit with this alleged "language" ... at least then any putative "debate" that i were to engage in with you would be comprehensible to you. all that verbiage to say a whole lot of little bits of the same thing that has been being said for far too long getting us absolutely nowhere but backwards. when y'all gonna stop and move forward? step up out of "the king's" (and now why you wanna use that label? it's just as was (finally!) noted here; there is power in words!) crap and (RE)-build our own nations!

oh, but i still ain't said nothin' have i? .... smh ...

one day, Africa WILL awaken from this dream/nightmare/delusion that "black people" are keeping us in!!

develop a NEW conformity!!

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Yes Brother Keita ... you are another that has resisted using this term. You're right.

Thanks for sharing!

Destee

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Yes Brother anAfrican ... you are another that fought hard and long against this term. I misunderstood though, and i still may be, let me know if i'm wrong. But i thought you were saying they have no power over us. I thought that was what Brother Kemetkind was saying all this time ... so ... i've fought that, and missed the real point all along.

Okay ... i'm getting it ... thanks for being patient with my slow pace.

It's good to have you in the house :grouphug:

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

6. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Great thread!

Thank YOU For this thread sista Destee!!!

Agreed 100%.

If we consider the strength of subliminal messages and the power of the subconscious, its hard to argue that repeatedly uttering the phrase "white supremacy" isn't doing us harm.

I think it definitely matters what we call it....and I'm interested to know how others in the community feel about this.

7. Edward Williams

Edward Williams Well-Known Member MEMBER

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    I heard this quote in a movie once and I thought it was interesting...

At some point we have to become the master of words and stop allowing words to master us.

They are masters of words and when they use those words against us they become masters of us because they can track and manage our behavior. Once we become master of words they will no longer be able to master us because words are used to think with. Once you master words you master your thoughts. Your speech and actions are a product of your thoughts. We have not yet mastered words but we can...and it is a simple task to perform.

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,729
    go into the court and tell the judge that you have changed the name:

The Supremacy Clause is the common name given to Article VI, Clause 2 of the United States Constitution, which reads:​

“ This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding. ”

The Supremacy Clause establishes the Constitution, Federal Statutes, and U.S. treaties as "the supreme law of the land." The Constitution is the highest form of law in the American legal system. State judges are required to uphold it, even if state laws or constitutions conflict with it.---

i have used the term, will continue to use it. so as long as i am on the site the term will be in play. is there the negro will will look me in the eye and tell me that i empower white people? you have to be taken leave of your senses to think that!

it may make you feel good to deny the reality of a thing but denying it will not change the reality. only combat will change the reality. as long as we content ourselves with window dressing, that is what we will get. changing a term is counter productive and silly. if you want to change something go change the reality, them the term will no longer be relevant.

we all live under a system of global white supremacy. deal with that. i do on a daily basis. should we now change the name of the KKK to the bowling club? will that make you all feel more secure? will that stop attacks? try it and see.

we all live under a system of global white supremacy. you can call it what you want. i will call it what it is.

9. Sami_RaMaati

Sami_RaMaati Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +243
    White Supremacy is a myth

Use of the term "white supremacy" in and of itself without qualification can indeed be a dangerous thing, depending on who is using it and who is hearing it being used. That's why I prefer to use the expression "the myth of white supremacy" instead of simply "white supremacy." The term can be further demystified by calling it what it is: "a demonic philosophy and practice of domination and exclusion built on a foundation of lies and deceit, and backed by coercion, intimidation, violence and threats of violence." The lies and deceit are firmly planted in peoples' minds from an early age via religious, educational and cultural (i.e., entertainment) institutions.

It is the evil offsrping of eurocentrism which Maulana Karenga defines as: "an ideology and practice of domination and exclusion based on the fundamental assumption that all relevance and value are centered in european culture and peoples and all other cultures and peoples are at best marginal and at worst irrelevant." [From "Introduction to Black Studies" pg 35.

The best way to deal with it is to demystify it by exposing it to the light of day and picking it apart like vultures in the desert. The two best works I've read that do this are "Yurugu: An African Centered Critique of European Cultural Thought and Behavior" by Marimba Ani, and "The Falsification of Afrikan Consciousness" by Amos N. Wilson.

10. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    The question is whether the term itself is a weapon used against us. Could it be that one of the steps to CHANGING the reality is to first make sure things you CAN control, such as your own use of language, are not in fact further crippling you.

Will more accurately naming white lunacy make it dissappear? No.

But it is one of many small things we can do that when taken together can create change.

Language is too powerful to voluntarily submit to terms that do us damage.

Recall the political will established in our people as we discarded the term negro in favor of black.