Black Relationships : Challenging the myth that sisters don't want blue collar brothers

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by CreativeGrl, Apr 12, 2010.

1. CreativeGrl

CreativeGrl Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +339
    Am I the only person who thinks that the whole "Sisters won't date a blue collar brother" thing is just an over exaggerated myth? Every blue collar brother I have ever known has either been married to a black woman, was living with or engaged to a black woman, or was juggling multiple black women at one time. And many of them have children, which means somebody is definitely giving them some play.

Also, some blue collar brothers get turned down because they don't know how to approach a woman, especially if they are around any of their male co-workers. You'd be hard pressed to find a woman who hasn't passed at least one construction site or Fedex truck only to hear some sort of lewd cat call behind them: "Sup Shawty?", or "You lookin' for me baby", or some variation of the sort. What ever happened to: "Hi. How are you? My name is _____ . What's your name? You look very nice today."?

Yes, I've turned down blue collar brothers, but for reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with them being blue collar. They were either married, in relationships, players, displayed some sort of immature or inappropriate behavior, or I already knew something about them personally that I knew would make us incompatible as a couple.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see all of these single, blue collar brothers all alone, desperately waiting for a sister to give them the time of day. And the ones I know who are single are single BY CHOICE. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    :10500: the last time i tried that line, they took away my players card for six weeks

3. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    :SuN049:

4. warriorprincess

warriorprincess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +201
    "Sisters won't date a blue collar brother"....I think that mostly when folks talk about this is more so about dating across SES(socio-economic status)....however that is defined.

5. CreativeGrl

United States
    Ratings:
    +339

Well, would you rather have a woman or a player's card?

6. CreativeGrl

United States
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yes, I understand. I just don't think women have as much of an issue with it as brothers make them out to.

7. warriorprincess

warriorprincess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +201
    I think some of those folk are disheartened cause they prefer the type of "white collar" folks that do not prefer to date/marry them.

8. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,127

It could be argued that the economy has more to do with the change in dating habits than anything else. In past years, many blue collar brothers werent given a 2nd look by certain females. It could be argued that these brothers were over reaching. But that's all in the eye of the beholder.

:em0200:

9. CreativeGrl

United States
    Ratings:
    +339

I don't even think it's a recent change. Honestly I've never known any blue collar brothers who were hurting for a date. You could have a point with the over reaching thing. There are those brothers who might be a "4" at best who won't settle for anything less than a "dime". If he's one of those brothers, then yes he may be spending a lot of time alone.

10. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    I think he meant 'overreaching' as far as class, status, and employment. A manufacturing laborer might be 'overreaching' if he looking at a sista that is an attorney making about 6 figs. She will hardly notice him.

But if the economy does have anything to do with the change in dating habits, that sista might be looking at the brotha now because
    1 - she might be laid off or not be working for that firm anymore, or people might be able to afford her servies
    2 - lawyer guys are not interested in dating her so she has to look outside her of economic social circle.

And in that case, I think a brotha has a right to shun her advances since he wasn't good enough for her at first, and she is only considering him now because things have gotten tight for her in the dating market.

Blue colla brothas ain't wanting for dates because there are plenty of women on their social and economic level who want them even if the higher class women don't.

Lower class and working class women are less choicy.... to the higher class women's chagrin. Higher class women want to call the lower class women 'whores' and lacking standards for getting with men that they (higher class women) won't even get with or consider in the first place.