Black People : CHALLENGING THE CULTURE OF WHITE SUPREMACY...

jamesfrmphilly said:
i cannot do that as my art form, photography, is not recognized by black people.
i continue to compete within a white supremest framework.
i haven't had a lot of success but many of the black photographers who i started out with have given up.
i will leave a body of work when i die.

I believe changing your venue might help out with that brother James. Perhaps the Philly crowd isn't into art? However I see many street vendors on 125th street (Harlem) selling art. I've know black art stores in Baltimore. I don't fault you for going to white galleries to sell (you have to eat), but I think more black people would be interested in your work than you think. I've seen your work, and I think it is quite good!

jamesfrmphilly said:
i cannot do that as my art form, photography, is not recognized by black people.
i continue to compete within a white supremest framework.
i haven't had a lot of success but many of the black photographers who i started out with have given up.
i will leave a body of work when i die.

Pan is correct, Brother Elder... The July 4th weekend in Brooklyn, we have the International African Arts Festival every year... More than 4 million people attend each year over a 5-day period... There are many whites who attend, but by and large, the vast majority are African people from all over the world... They buy the art brother, believe me - they buy the art!!! Unfortunately, the event is only a 5-day deal... The good thing is that you can still make a nice chunk a change in that 5 days... Mark the day on your calendar... Go to their website, and garner some info on their activities...

Additionally, Sista Poetic posted some information of the African Arts Festival down in her home state... Just think, the chance to sell your art, enjoy Virginia, and get to meet one of finest sisters at Destees.... Doesn't that just tickle you somethin' fierce?(smile!)

But seriously, these art festivals take place all over the country, particularly during the summer... Find out the schedules in each state on the east coast, and the south, and you might find an avenue toward financial freedom from the enemy...

Peace!
Isaiah

Isaiah said:
Pan is correct, Brother Elder... The July 4th weekend in Brooklyn, we have the International African Arts Festival every year... More than 4 million people attend each year over a 5-day period... There are many whites who attend, but by and large, the vast majority are African people from all over the world... They buy the art brother, believe me - they buy the art!!! Unfortunately, the event is only a 5-day deal... The good thing is that you can still make a nice chunk a change in that 5 days... Mark the day on your calendar... Go to their website, and garner some info on their activities...

Additionally, Sista Poetic posted some information of the African Arts Festival down in her home state... Just think, the chance to sell your art, enjoy Virginia, and get to meet one of finest sisters at Destees.... Doesn't that just tickle you somethin' fierce?(smile!)

But seriously, these art festivals take place all over the country, particularly during the summer... Find out the schedules in each state on the east coast, and the south, and you might find an avenue toward financial freedom from the enemy...

Excellent information brother Isaiah. When it comes to thinks like selling Art, Clothes, Furniture, etc...it is often necessary to travel (as well as to know the best places to go).

panafrica said:
I believe one of the most effective methods to challenge the culture of white supremacy is to remove oneself from it. When a person spends their day to day life within white culture, it is virtually impossible not to be influenced in one way. The majority of people who were opposed to integration had this in mind. 40 some years later, many of their fears have been realized.

Pan, when you speak of "removing" oneself from the system of White Supremacy, can you be more specific? As the system is all-pervasive in this society, are we talking about, say, what the Honorable Elijah Muhammad proposed - a 5-state Black-owned area, where we'd be completely separated from White folks?

Peace!
Isaiah

Isaiah said:

Peace!
Isaiah
i have exhibited at that venue and i did not make money.
would you please give me the benefit of the doubt that i do know my market?
i have marketed in new york and around the world.

i don't want to seem ungrateful for your suggestions, but i need you to know i have been there and done that.
i do not make statements based on theory.
my statements are based on personal experience.

bottom line, black people do not value photography.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back