Black People Politics : CBC / Whitney Houston

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Heartbeat, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Heartbeat

Heartbeat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +86
    The Congressional Black Caucus has drafted a resolution which is to be read at the funeral for Whitney Houston. America hardly ever hears from the Congressional Black Caucus. Here we are in the midst of high unemployment disproportionately affecting black people, budget cuts that will affect the cost of a college education, an HIV-AIDS crisis in the black community, public education K-12 that is in shambles, etc., etc., etc and the CBC makes sure news of this resolution gets out in the main stream media. I'm the first one to say Whitney Houston was a rare talent, but for the CBC to make a big deal about this resolution while being quiet and in my opinion ineffective when it comes to far more significant issues on Capitol Hill is disappointing. Whitney's death and funeral is not significant. It is sad that she leaves a daughter, family and millions of fans mourning but not significant in the big picture of black america and the national political agenda. The national political agenda and black participation in it for the benefit of black people is the job of the CBC and as much energy needs to be placed here as in jumping on the death of Whitney Houston bandwagon.

2. Each1teach1

Each1teach1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986
    :toast:
    Heres my thing: 250,000 people die in this world every day! thats a 1/4 of 1 million people. Most of them we never heard of and never will, have died in some country we'll never visit due to some war, famine or disease we will never hear about and much less mourn. Even more sad is the fact that average people with the same problems whitney had have lived and died the same way she did minus the fame and the people who knew them talked about them like a rabid dog...even after the funeral, yet they act like Whitney gave them life....smh I love whitney too but we need to take it down about 20 notches for real. The CBC is a completely unfunny and horrifying joke, those fools need to give their seats to people who are serious.

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Whitney Houston To Be Honored By Congressional Black Caucus

[​IMG]

WASHINGTON -- The Congressional Black Caucus will honor Whitney Houston with a resolution that will be sent to Houston's family in time for the late singer's funeral on Saturday, according to Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.), chairman of the caucus.
    The CBC chairman said he opted not to file an official resolution that would get a House vote because "very little is done around here" and he didn't think there was time before the funeral. He also suggested it would be inappropriate to bring such a resolution to the House floor.
    "No family deserves to have a debate over whether or not a deceased loved one should be honored," Cleaver said.
    RESOLUTION
    To commemorate the life and accomplishments of Whitney Elizabeth Houston over the past 48 years; and expressing the condolences of the House of Representatives to her family upon her death.
    Whereas Whitney Elizabeth Houston was born on August 9, 1963 in Newark, New Jersey;
    Whereas Whitney Houston was the youngest daughter of famed singer Cissy Houston, and John Russell Houston Jr., cousin of Dee Dee and Dionne Warwick, and god-daughter of Aretha Franklin;...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...onal-black-caucus_n_1280237.html?ref=politics

Peace In,

4. novek

novek Active Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thought we were talking about the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

5. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    Wow! Well I agree to the fact that these 'Black' politicians aren't doing much about the very issues mentioned to the point of being affective, but I'm wondering if there's something else to their actions as well. For instance, back years ago, it was highly publicized when Whitney performed the American National Anthem that it was the very start of the war, and her presence may regarded as perhaps a political symbol that she, as a Black African American woman supported the war cause. Since that time that she belted out the Star Spangled Banner, it seems like it became 'the thing to do' and a string of Black African American musical icons have since been featured and highlighted. But it was said that after her performance, she became famous all over the world for that song, and maybe the CBC is responding in light of her support for the American government.

6. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    I don't know, I don't think she or the CBC has directly helped me as a Black American for the trouble I've been through in this system, but as a whole and on the political arena, I kind of think of her in the same light as I would Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor and probably some more entertainers, some of whom may have did something political like Whitney did in singing the National Anthem. Some of them performed for the men at war. This thread kind of makes me think about the recent news about some racist White man who just burned the New Jersey flag in protest against the flag being ordered to be flown half-staff for Whitney:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/02/20/john-burri-flag-burn-whitney-houston_n_1289087.html

Another man pretty much read what was in the article in his youtube:

But in defense against what the Michigan man said, I do believe that when entertainers do things like perform for the soldiers at war, or perform the National Anthem at the start of war, that is definitely 'a service' that has been fully accepted and acknowledged in the past, so I believe that his racism has clouded his views. Now, here's what some one said about this incident on facebook:

Facebook comment from
    Josh Hughes

on Feb 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Nobody whinned like this when we were flying flags at half mast for Marilyn Monroe... but of course... she was white.... Get educated fools!
    http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/133249/whitney_houston_flag_tribute_is?next=151

Now, I really wouldn't know right now if that's true, or if flags were flown half mast for Marilyn Monroe or not, but I would be surprised if Whitney was the only celebrity that had a flag flown half mast.