Black Short Stories : Caught in the Rains

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by Earthly Allure, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Earthly Allure

Earthly Allure Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    The temple of Karnak, where the Earth Chylde prays
    Ratings:
    +0
    **This is based on a friend of mine.

Caught in the rain of insecurity, Sebastien thinks to himself...

I haven't been in a relationship for more than three years. My last relationship ended when I came back from a Church Retreat in Tennessee and found that my Frat brother/best friend was dating the woman I was truly in love with.

From then on, things went downhill.
    I slipped into a depression that didn't seem to ever abate and I slowly began to become jaded where women were concerned. Instead of searching for other women to be with I decided to do a little exploration/experimentation myself.

I first became attracted to men around about four months before the bitter break up with my girl. I had been at a dinner party with some other peeps of mine and in walks this delicious looking black brotha. Now midnight chocolate would have been a better term for him. The man was baldheaded and sexy as all get out. I found myself staring at his god-like body, full of muscled perfection. He stood at 6'3 and probably weighed 195 lbs. He boasted a mouth full of searing sunshine-perfect teeth, broad shoulders, an expansive chest of granite that merged into liquid hard abs(6-pac) and a narrow but powerful waist finally tapering into thickly muscled thighs that went on and on for days. This ***** was hotter than 9 summers and a sauna.

He was dressed down in all Kenneth Cole clothing from the shirt to the square toe shoes he rocked. He was fly and for some odd reason I found myself wanting to be the suga in his stank. Now that was crazy for me simply because I'm an up and coming Track star/Writer; I'm 6'0, caramel complexioned, light brown eyes and cornrows and built as only a track star can be built, and as masculine and all get out. I was simply floored by this dude.

Apparently this ***** had super-radar because he looked directly at me and flashed that million-dollar/Ooooh-baby-make-me-holla smile at me before taking his seat at his table. For the rest of the evening its like me and ol' dude silently flirted. I started feeling warm as hell. And then again at that time I was confused simply because here I was with my lady friend but yet I’m making goo goo eyes not at another female but a *****!

The little get-to-gether was beginning to come to a close so I got my gal and we quickly exited. I never saw that man again, nor did I explore those feelings. After the break-up and subsequent depression I felt that I needed a bit of change in my life. I put track on the back burner and turned to my writing. I left the Lou'(St. Louis) and moved to Chicago where I moved in with one of my homeboy's and I began working on different projects both personal and public collabo's with other friends. I got a job with this Publishing House in downtown Manhattan called Sea Crest Publishing where I was a creative consultant/PR for various writers and in the evenings I was free to hone my craft and explore my poetic side. This lasted for about two years. I finally found a cozy little loft of my own, not far from my job; decorated it in African inspired articles and began delving more and more into poetry.

Tonight there is an open mic session at Tha Celestial, a cute little jazzy joint where all the afrocentric/artistic intellectuals and bohemians chill. I had been visiting the place for about eight months and felt right at home. In the past I had participated in various open mic sessions reading a poem here and there and I was truly beginning to love doing it. The crowd was great and I loved the feel, the atmosphere. Well anywho, tonight there's definitely an open mic session and I feel confident to do it.

I'm there and dressed to the nines in this nice earth brown jean unit by Prada with my Cole Hann brown leather shoes on, my free-flying afro' on point, and my array of light African shell jewelry on. I was sportin' this delicious natural oil scent I had created called Imani. I was truly feeling good and loving the flow I was in.
    Finally, with the lights dim and the mood smooth the show started.

When the MC, a light brown brotha with dreds by the name of Andre', announced the mic was opened; I got up and headed toward the stage.

"Peace and Blessings peeps. The piece I want to read is a little sometin', somethin' I like to call Captivity.
    I stepped back from the mic to get myself together, cleared my throat, stepped before it again and began to speak.

Captive in your delicious prison of
    secret caresses and mystic guesses.
    Lost in your tranquil sea and earth hue.
    I emerge from my pain and depression, gorgeous
    and new. But, I am brand-new,
    brand-new and in touch with a new existence of be....
    the sun now shines on the landscape of a new me,
    A me that now openly embraces those feelings I tucked
    away, deep within my dark; kept closed by a lock;
    but now they've been released since something triggered
    my Pandora's box.
    I admit I’m confused as hell!
    Even a bit lost and returned like three week old mail
    Still this male admits to liking these new feelings i'm
    experiencing. Relishing in the way my heart embraces a new
    phase of life and a new song to sing.
    I am overjoyed to embrace this new feeling and
    activity.... I'm most happy to just bask in your sweet,
    sweet captivity...

My eyes are closed as I finish. I've been lifted on some other level and I'm in another zone. My eyes are still closed and the audience is silent...silence fills the room and the atmosphere is charged with some un-identifiable feeling. I finally calm down enough to open my eyes and see the entire room full of peeps on their feet, silence killed off with the explosion of applause. I'm surprised! Usually the poets receive snaps in appreciation of their scribes, but I’m receiving an applause out of this world. I bow while smiling widely to the sounds of a deafening applause and a few shouted phrases of "Go on boy," "Hot **** Dawg!" "You betta get it sexy!" to say a few.
    I'm pleased to say the least. I make my way off stage and to my seat when I see him.

Its the chocolate wonder I saw when these feelings first emerged. He smiles, his 1,000 watt smile turning my legs into putty. Me a grown man! *smiles*
    I sit down and take order a hot tea, noticing him staring at me. I look at him rather shyly and smile. He smiles. My insides quiver and I’m like '****! I'm a ***** and here I am shaking and quaking and blushing because another ***** is looking at me." Yet on the outside I continue to smile and then turn as the waitress returns with my hot tea and a compliment for my performance.

I thank her and sit there trying to immerse myself in the words of this beautiful Jill Scott look a like on stage. Soon I feel a tapping on my shoulder. I turn and find its him! "Whassup?" He says. My heart is beating fast and furiously. I tip my head in greeting mumbling a 'whassup wit it?' He then asks if he can join me and I gesture toward one of the chairs at my right. He sits down and extends his hand. "Yo, I'm Khalil Washington." He says his smile bright and his liquid dark eyes shining and full of life. I reach for his hand in the customary fashion. "Whassup, I'm Sebastian Crenshaw." He nods "Nice to meet you babyboi. I just had to get at you and say that I really enjoyed that piece. It was deep as hell." He smiles again and like some idiotic little broad, I find myself cheesing big as hell.

I thank him for the compliments and for the moment we sit in silence taking in the vibe of the joint and the present person on stage. He orders a little white wine and begins conversation. We spend the next few hours talking about subjects from Poetry to Politics and History. The dude is on point. I'm feeling him and feeling more and more comfortable around him. He seems to be feeling me as well. I soon fell myself falling into his dark eyes when he taps me. "Man...did you hear me?" I kind of sit up quickly. "Oh, my bad pa, I'm sorry I was thinking about something. What was your question?" He smiles knowingly and continues. "I said didn't we meet before? You look so familiar." I nodd and tell him of the little dinner party about two years back. "Yeah, that’s it! I knew I remembered you. I'd never forget a handsome face like yours." He says while sipping his wine. 'Man! Did ole' dude just say handsome face like mines?' I start blushing and cheesing. I can't believe I'm doing this off another *****.

We continue chillin, just enjoying the feel and vibe of the club and the many lyrics of the various poets and artists. There's this brotha and fly sista that gets onstage to perform some jazzy melody and soon I'm loosing myself in the rifts and words, feeling very open and warm. Feeling so warm and good that I really don't trip when I feel ole' dude intertwine his had in mine like we're together or something. I don't even trip, I just smile and continue bobbing my head to the bass beat. We sit like this for the remainder of the evening. "Yo, my man." He says in this rich baritone. I look at him waiting for him to continue. "Man, I don't want to seem like i'm coming on too strong, or disrespecting you, but dawg, I'm really feeling you and its weird, because I've been feeling you since we last met two years ago. In fact I was feeling you that night, but you were with your gal and I didn't want to disrespect you." I look at him for a moment. "Khalil," I say using his fist name like we've been boi's for years, "I'm feeling you as well and I’ve even thought of you since that night. Be assured my man, you're not rushing anything or being aggressive or pushing yourself on me in any way. I'm diggin this vibe between us." He visibly sighs and grasps my hand just a little harder. " So where does this leave us? I mean I would like the chance to get to know you better." I sit there looking at this dude play the guitar and recite, but not really listening to his words. "Khalil, I would love to kick it with you and get to know you better as well, but man, I'm new to all of this and its all a lot of stuff to digest. You understand?" He nods. "Don't worry pa, I wont rush you in any way. In fact I'll just be here by your side to be a help and hopefully a support system." ****! those words leap out at me, piercing my heart deeply. I've never had another person say that to me. This ***** has me opened definitely.

I smile and nod. He grips my hand a little tighter. We sit enjoying the rest of the poets and artists and talking in between acts until the club closes.
    Outside its chilly and a light snow is falling.
    "Sebastian, its been a real pleasure chilling with you and I look forward to getting with you more and more." Khalil says handing me a card with his name, address and phone numbers to his job, home, cell, and pager. ****!

I'm feeling a bit bold so I reply, "Khalil, man it's been real magic dawg, but the magic doesn’t have to stop right here." I'm smiling and I smile even wider at his look of surprise. "Dawg there's an all night coffee house around the corner. How about we head over there, get some coffee and chill for a bit and talk." He thinks for a moment before flashing that magnetic smile. "I think that would be a good idea pa." He says as we both start down the sidewalk talking and just enjoying each others company.

That was nearly nine months ago and now he and I are closer than we could have both imagined. We haven't slept together or anything drastic like that. He respects the fact that there are still some things I'm dealing with about this lifestyle, and for that I’m grateful. Some would say that he's my lover, and I’d say that’s not true, I mean yes, we've kissed and cuddled many times, but he's more of an intimate and deeper friend than a lover. I'm content at this time over all, I mean I still have problems like everyone, but on the whole I’m cool.

As we sit on the leather couch, warm from the fire in the fireplace; I watch the snow fall in swirls and for the first time in years I feel... caught in the rain of security.

Copyright 2004 A.D/ "HyeKlass Publishing"
    ~HyeKlass

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    welcome to da short stories this was well done very creative
    tyte story pt.2 please

3. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    You are flourishing with skillz!
    Your talent runneth over!
    Great story!

4. Earthly Allure

Earthly Allure Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    The temple of Karnak, where the Earth Chylde prays
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate all of your love and I can't wait to read what you put out. God Bless.