Black Relationships : Caught In The Blinking Neons Of Hollywood

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Most of you know that I do not watch television so I am not up to speed on what's going on in Hollywood.

But I hear about things; Now the other day it was brought to my attention that Mr. R kelly has a video or something outin which a preacher and his wife were both cheating on each other with cats who were on the down low.

One thing I do know, hollywood tends to do things to death--to squeeze the last penny out of an idea until there is no more money to be made. But the price we pay for satiation is high because when something is thrown at us so much we get the impression that it is a big issue when in reality it is not.

Is the issue of down low brothas as big as Hollywood is making it seem or are we helping to spread fear and distrust in our community?

Sistas, how many times have you decided not to date a brotha because there was something slightly efiminant about the way he carried himself and moved his body? Do you look more for clues about a brotha's possible sexual orientation than you do for clues about his character and suitability as a mate?

Brothas, have you ever been mistaken for down low just because you don't fit the stereotype of how a man should appear to be? Do you run from the stereoptypes. ignore them or defy them?

river said:
Most of you know that I do not watch television so I am not up to speed on what's going on in Hollywood.

But I hear about things; Now the other day it was brought to my attention that Mr. R kelly has a video or something outin which a preacher and his wife were both cheating on each other with cats who were on the down low.

One thing I do know, hollywood tends to do things to death--to squeeze the last penny out of an idea until there is no more money to be made. But the price we pay for satiation is high because when something is thrown at us so much we get the impression that it is a big issue when in reality it is not.

Is the issue of down low brothas as big as Hollywood is making it seem or are we helping to spread fear and distrust in our community?

Sistas, how many times have you decided not to date a brotha because there was something slightly efiminant about the way he carried himself and moved his body? Do you look more for clues about a brotha's possible sexual orientation than you do for clues about his character and suitability as a mate?

Brothas, have you ever been mistaken for down low just because you don't fit the stereotype of how a man should appear to be? Do you run from the stereoptypes. ignore them or defy them?

Wow...no one bothered to touch this so let me try so long as you dont think I'm simply "whining"..

Don't believe the hype!! It depends on demographics. There are some cities that are known to have openly gay men (and women) and of course, HOLLYWOOD is one of them (especially WEST hollywood). So why would Brothers need to be DL with the wide acceptance of gay men in certain areas?

For sure there are Black authors who have written books dealing with this and have been featured on talk show and sensationalized this issue and blown things out of proportion. Think about it. What is the number of Black men that you KNOW are openly gay. From that what % do you believe could possibly be DL?? And what are the indications that would make you believe this. Most of the BLACK men I encounter on a daily basis are at the gym, working out AND playing basketball and in all my years only one (or two) of my best friends may have been gay or DL. I used to run in a very large group of athletes who were very popular with the women and these brothers were not banging each other..Most of the Brothers I ran with in college settled down and had kids with Black women and I have no knowledge of a single one who was gay or DL. And I can not think of a single individual in my family who is known to be gay or DL.

"Sistas, how many times have you decided not to date a brotha because there was something slightly efiminant about the way he carried himself and moved his body? Do you look more for clues about a brotha's possible sexual orientation than you do for clues about his character and suitability as a mate?"

I can't say that my gay-dar is on permanently, but it would be upsetting to know a man is "into other stuff" after falling in love with him. Just as I would look for yellow teeth, consistency, and dedication, I'd be checking for clues too. Can't afford risking a heartache, or a death sentence behind hidden secrecies. Some people hide their sexuality very well. I would not bother with a man who had any limp in his wrist, or sway in his walk. Is he paralyzed or disabled? LOL. I trust my intuition, for it has guided me in the right direction thus far. To answer your question...only once, I had to leave a man alone behind his suspicious sexual behavior.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back