river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Hey fellow geeks,

I am at a total loss as to what happened to the sound on my 'pute. I am using Windows Vista which tells me that my sound card is working properly and the most up to date driver for my sound card is already installed. My master volume is not muted and is at maximum loudness. The speakers themselves are turned on at max. Yet there is no sound

I was able to use Skype yesterday with no problem but when I went to listen to wwkc there was no sound. I have not the foggiest idea what happened between the phone call and going to Firefox that obliterated my sound Someone suggested to me that Skype sometimes mutes puters but when I googled for the problem the posters at their community found that their problem ewas a Logitech webcam or a Logitech headset neither of which I have. None of their solutions worked for me.

Also twice yesterday Windows asked me for permission to run Legacy cpl elevated.exe. Not knowing what this is I did not give permission. Maybe running it would have corrected my problem but I haven't seen the prompt anymore and don't know how to make it come up.

I need sound to record brotha Oldsoul's classes and to listen to music so I don't go batty.

Does anyone hear have the faintest idea what could be wrong and how to fix it?

If this is your home system that doesn't get used for anything critical, backup and reinstall.

It would also be a great idea(assuming you haven't already)to make a slipstreamed/NLite disc in order to spare yourself the time and annoyance down the line when you'll no doubt have to do this again(assuming you plan to continue using Doze or mainly using Doze). It also wouldn't hurt to make a miniXP rescue disc(again, assuming you're fond of Doze).

Is this your first time having an issue with skype?

I ask because maybe you might want to explore alternatives in and outside of Doze.

(ALL home systems are used for something critical TO THE HOME USER!! you sound like a typical point and click tech ... smh)

looking into it, sis! ("vista"? <shudder> i've just had xp do my puter in and still working to get my stuff back. [wanted to play some games that my older box won't handle under win32 emulation.])

this "elevated.exe" seems to be, on brief glance, something used to raise the permissions of an app to run - apparently one that needs admin privileges? [<shrug> windows and their pathetic efforts at "security" lol] do you recall which program prompted this request?

do you get any sound out of headphones? (er ... is the skype headset disconnected?)

um ... if it's just matter of not hearing what is coming out of your puter, i would think you could still go ahead and record something .. unless it is a sound card/system issue ...

surfing the net for clues; will report back ... as long as i don't turn that other box on and play dink smallwood some more ... or get back to try to recover booting to my ubuntu partition ..

scary!! do malware scanning!

more on "RunLegacyCPLElevated.exe":

Vista's UAC Warnings Can't Be Trusted, Symantec Says
According to Symantec researcher Ollie Whitehouse, the way Windows Vista's User Account Control uses colors to denote trust levels can be bypassed using a program supplied on Windows Vista. RunLegacyCPLElevated.exe is designed to allow legacy control panel applets to run as Administrator, avoiding restrictions they would otherwise have. This program can be told what dynamic load library to load, and does nothing to verify what DLL it is loading. When control panel applets are loaded this way, the Standard User is prompted to allow Windows to "Run a legacy CPL elevated," with no indication as to what precisely is going to be run. The color-coded prompt panel denotes that it is something known to be part of Vista that is attempting to run, whereas in reality the DLL being loaded by the Vista application need not be a trusted application, and could, in fact, be malware.

Whitehouse is correct in his assertions about this flaw in RunLegacyCPLElevated.exe. In a similar way that IE implements killbit control over controls it permits to run, this application and any others like it should be restricted to only running controls that have been indicated as valid. That validation should require Administrative approval and should clearly indicate whether Microsoft can determine the author and signing authority.

Meanwhile, the only way to prevent this sort of exploitation would be to prevent RunLegacyCPLElevated.exe from running at all.

Of course, this also assumes that consumers are going to understand the different color meanings, which is unlikely. Nevertheless, the prompt text is void of any information that any reasonable person could use to determine whether they wish to allow the control panel applet to run. Likely, this is because Microsoft intended RunLegacyCPLElevated.exe to run any old control panel applets, including ones that don't adequately identify themselves. Microsoft could have, at least, included the name of the DLL that RunLegacyCPLElevated.exe was trying to load in the prompt.

We can expect this one to get abused at some point.

found here

(ALL home systems are used for something critical TO THE HOME USER!! you sound like a typical point and click tech ... smh)

"Critical" in my opinion is a matter of someone using their system for some profession or business. In that situation I think it makes sense to patch holes in the leaky pipes that make up Doze.

If it's for something else, considering what's available to most users today, it makes more sense to throw their stuff in storage and do a clean install rather than patching certain things. The reality is that more often than not something cannot be repaired or is only a temporary fix which ultimately leads to the system grinding to a halt or becoming an unstable mess not too far down the line. My intention with that advice is to spare the user time, money, and annoyance. Call me crazy, but I think some people prefer to spend more time using their machine than dealing with its problems. JMO

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back