Black Entertainment : Casting of White Actor as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Sparks Sharp Rebuke From Playwright

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
white-king-306x165.png

A black director’s decision to cast a white actor as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. has sparked widespread outrage.

Director Michael Oatman’s version of “The Mountaintop”, where King imagines himself on the eve of his assassination, includes three performances where King is portrayed by a black actor and three where King is portrayed by a white actor.

“I truly wanted to explore the issue of racial ownership and authenticity. I didn’t want this to be a stunt, but a true exploration of King’s wish that we all be judged by the content of our character and not the color of our skin,” Oatman said in a statement, the
Huffington Post reports. “I wanted the contrast… I wanted to see how the words rang differently or indeed the same, coming from two different actors, with two different racial backgrounds.”

The writer of the original play, Katori Hall, has even joined the chorus of those criticizing the production at Kent State University.

Read more

http://yourblackworld.net/2015/11/1...-king-jr-sparks-sharp-rebuke-from-playwright/

He needs his a** kicked

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back