Black Sports : Castillo vs Corrales

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Monetary, May 8, 2005.

1. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    If ya'll didn't see this fight, ya'll missed a classic. Both fighters almost knocked the other fighter out. Classic inside boxing from both fighters. The lightweight division has too many great fighters. If ya'll missed it, ya'll CAN'T miss the replay. This fight was nonstop from the first round.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    You beat me to it brother Monetary!

1st let me start off by saying I need to have more confidence in my sport. Everyone knows how I promote boxing on this website. I have been looking forward to this match up for over a year (it was delayed twice), but I never gave the family a heads up, because Diego Corrales & Jose Luis Castillo are only known to hardcore boxing fans. I'm afraid my assumption might have robbed people of a fantastic matchup. In my 20+ years of watching live boxing...my boxing video collection of fights dating back to the early 1900s...this fight might have been one of the best (if not the best) I have ever seen! Indeed this fight is what turns casual boxing fans into hardcore boxing fans!! Fantastic win for Chico Corrales...incredible showing by Jose Luis Castillo! I will be watching this one over & over again for years to come!! Incredible...Incredible...that is all I can say. If you have Showtime2 or Digital Cable, please check the replay!

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    DIEGO CORRALES WINS ALL-TIME CLASSIC

http://www.boxingtalk.net

4. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Corrales has gotten a lot better since he got destroyed by Mayweather a few years ago.

5. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Pan

THAT...was a great fight. To get knocked down TWICE in the tenth round and come back to knock your opinion...it was great match. Castillo wanted the ref to give him a chance to continue fighting. I didn't think so. He was out on his feet. He has the glace look in his eyes. He was done.

They can't really say too much about Corrales spitting out the mouth piece. He got a point taken away. So, the ref did his job on that one.

Mannnnnn, this fight was off the hook. All guts...nothing but will power. It was a great fight.

6. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Yeah, I saw that fight with Corrales and Mayweather. I felt sorry for him...a little bit. Mayweather was just too fast for him. Hey, Mayweather is too fast for most guys.

However, Mayweather is up there with guys who are heavier than he is. He needs to go to the body more with them if he's looking for a knockout. He also gets hit too many times against the bigger guys. If he doesn't watch it, he may end up like Sugar Shane.

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    That's an understatement brother Oceolo! The beatdown Mayweather gave Corrales ruins many fighters; however, great fighters learn from their losses and improve. Deigo "Chico" Corrales has gone from a good fighter to a great fighter with this performance! He has indeed learned a lot, and I am impressed with the many styles he brings to the ring: He can box & brawl. The only negative about Corrales is that he often goes down in fights. However, a like Felix Trinidad, Arturo Gatti, and Matthew Saad Muhammed....he has repeatedly show the ability to get off the floor to win. Also like those fighters he is actually more dangerous when floored. This is definately the fight of the year!! Trinidad & Winky Wright have some big shoes to fill next weekend.

P.S. Oceolo, what was your opinion of the stoppage?

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Floyd Mayweather is in a class by himself, a fighter with his talent (handspeed, footwork, defense, accuracy, boxing ability) comes along once every 15-20 years. The only way Mayweather is going to be beat is if he doesn't train or if he moves up too far to fast (which is what happened to Sugar Shane). I think Mayweather's upcoming fight with Arturo Gatti is going to bring him to superstar status. Not only do I think Mayweather will win, I believe he is going to make Gatti look silly.

Chico Corrales is another type of fighter, he doesn't have a Floyd Mayweather, Roy Jones Jr, Pernell Whittaker, Sugar Ray Leonard type of talent...but he is talented nonetheless. Chico is a versatile warrior, who brings surprises to the ring (you never know if you'll get the boxer or the slugger), and he always gives 110%, even in his losing efforts. If Chico fights every fight like he did last night, he won't have a long career. However in the rematch (which has to happen), don't be surprised if Corrales uses his jab and moves all night. That is the versatility he has, which Castillo doesn't. Coming off wins over Joel Casamayor, Acelino Frietas, and now Castillo....Corrales has had a heck of a run over the past 2-3 years!

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I missed this response

I'm sure that Castillo fans were devastated by the stoppage (he had fought his heart out), but you are right....Jose was clearly out on his feet. He was getting clocked with his hands to his waist. In that situation the ref will always stop the fight. Also I think the history of the fighters needs to be taken into consideration. Chico Corrales has a history of getting knocked down in fights, and climbing off the canvas to win. Castillo doesn't have that history. Corrales also looked the ref in the eyes...got up without wobbling...and displayed strategy by spitting out his mouth piece. Those actions show a fighter who still has his wits together. Jose had his chin in the air, his eyes were glassed over, and he was getting clocked. That is a heartbreaking loss, but a good stoppage! There has to be a rematch! Again this was the fight of the year....might even be the fight of the decade! This is boxing at its best! When two fighters show up to win....don't hold for 12 rounds....just trade punches with the intent to knock the other guy out. I am a fan of the NBA & NFL. However I've alway maintained that when boxing is at its best, it is the most exciting sport in the world!

10. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    It was a fair stoppage