Black Spirituality Religion : CAROLINA CHURCH ASKS FOR WHITES ONLY

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Kemetstry, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    Freedom House Church, North Carolina Congregation, Under Fire For Requesting 'Only White' Greeters (VIDEO)
    Posted: 09/03/2013 5:13 pm EDT | Updated: 09/03/2013 5:13 pm EDT
    redditstumble
    [​IMG]

WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Follow:
    North Carolina, Video, Freedom House Church, Freedom House Church Makeda Pennycooke, Freedom House Church North Carolina, Makeda Pennycooke, North Carolina Freedom House Church, Black Voices News

[​IMG]
    Churches often do their best to welcome new members and make new congregants feel welcome, but one North Carolina congregation caused a firestorm when a lead pastor requested "only white people" serve as greeters.
    Carmen Thomas, a member of Freedom House Church was outraged after receiving an email from Pastor Makeda Pennycooke asking people of color to refrain from serving as greeters at the 9 a.m. service during the congregation's busiest season, WBTV reports.
    Pennycooke, an African-American, sent the email to a group of church volunteers writing "first impressions matter" and that the congregation wanted "the best of the best on the front doors."
    Thomas told the news station she believed Pennycooke was attempting to attract white worshippers.
    "We are continuing to work to bring our racial demographic pendulum back to mid-line," she continued in the email. "So we would like to ask that only white people be on the front doors."
    According to WBTV, Pennycooke has since apologized for the email along with seniors pastors Troy and Penny Maxwell.
    "The pastors have been meeting with staff and church members to confirm their commitment to diversity and to ensure nothing like this happens again," church officials told WBTV.
    "Freedom House believes in a diverse relationship within its membership, reflecting the larger community in which the church resides, doing life together as a church representative of everyone -- culturally, ethnically, economically, and generationally."

2. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    bot

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

Thanks for the ... BOT ... This had gotten away from me, and I couldn't remember the title ... Somebody needs to send Pastor Makeda Pennycooke a copy of my book: Does Color Matter? :rofl:

4. Ken Taylor

Ken Taylor Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +206
    The most disgusting thing about this story is that the author of the email was a Black Woman!!!

5. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

When the revolution comes, some of us have to be the 1st to die

6. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    If you're serious, I think the author should. lol

If some haven't read the news clip, she only wants white members to welcome the guests/members who come to the services.

I was shock to read it was a sistha.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

Yeah, I saw that, it sounds like a black church trying to increase the collection plate in order to pay the bills, smh. The pastor did retract and apologize, which did little for the lady that got burnt.

8. Ken Taylor

Ken Taylor Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +206
    I'm thinking she was probably "encouraged" to send the email so that if it didn't go over well they always had a fallback position. I imagine the encouragers motive was more financial than racial, but I wonder why she would want to be a part of growing a church full of people who would be offended by having a Black person greet them??

9. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    For some reason I'm not sure it's a Black church. Its seems to me to be a mixed.church.

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

My curiosity got the best of me, here it is; this white family, the senior pastors, started the Church and Makeda, it seems, felt the email was necessary to restore the "mid-line" of diversity. Black and Hispanic membership had surpassed the whites:

[​IMG]
    THE MAXWELL FAMILY

In early 2002, God asked Troy and Penny Maxwell to do something crazy: He asked them to leave all they knew in Richmond, Virginia, and start a church in a city they'd never even visited. From the moment they arrived in Charlotte, the Maxwells (and a small band of merry helpers) hit the ground running! Freedom House's doors opened in September 2002, and since then has become a fixture in North Charlotte. The Maxwells are excited about all God's doing in our wonderful city, and they're excited to keep doing God's excellent work in Charlotte and around the world.
    Troy and Penny have been married since 1992. They're committed to each other and their three children: son Colby, and daughters Cabell and Cassidy. Their passion is to see you live up to God's fullest potential in you, and they're committed to encouraging vision and purpose in every person they meet.
    The Maxwells are mentored and covered by Dennis and Colleen Rouse (senior pastors), and Pastor Darrell Mims (executive pastor of finance and administration) of Victory World Church in Atlanta, GA; and Pastor Steve Kelly (senior pastor) ofWave Church in Virginia Beach, VA.

http://freedomhouse.cc/pastors/

Its hard to say or prove that Troy and/or Penny insisted or encouraged Makeda to write the email. They very well could have had a meeting on it and Makeda was asked to write the email, or, Makeda took it upon herself to do it.

[​IMG]
    Makeda Pennycooke
    Executive Pastor of Operations

[​IMG]

Tracie Frank
    Communications Director

Click this link to see the church staff, only two(2) blacks are on the leadership team:
    http://freedomhouse.cc/team/