Black People : career ?'s

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by daroc, Mar 12, 2005.

1. daroc

daroc Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +36
    i didnt kno where to put this....

i'm in college right now and just claimed my major- history/education. but i dont really know if i want to teach. for all the teachers or any one working in a school- wats it like? - what made you want to teach? and why havent you stopped to find something that pays better? honestly i really dont know what i want to do- all i kno is that i love our history. when its comes to me teaching- i have doubts about me being the type of teacher that could stay within my limits. i kno teaching is not the only thing i can do-but at times i feel as if it would be the easiest road to follow for the time being.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I fully understand the love & attraction to history, because I was also a history major in college. As much as I would like to tell you differently, you are extremely limited in occupational choices as a history major. The most obvious choice is teaching & as you already know the pay isn't good. History majors can also work in libraries & government. However these jobs are pretty scarce (indeed those in these jobs tend to stay until retirement). In addition to this, it is becoming increasingly difficult to get a teaching job with a History degree, because of fierce competition.

As far as what makes someone want to become a teacher, that is an individual choice. The most noble reason is a desire to guide & direct young people. This is what made me want to get into education (summers off & snow days aren't bad either). However the low pay is difficult to get around. Personally I am currently looking to get out of education, because as my family grows, it doesn't compensate well enough (idealism doesn't pay bills). If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have minored in History & choose a major that would command more income. This is the advice I would give to you sister Daroc. You can study history on your own time, but use your college experience to find a career that will allow you at actually pay them loans back...LOL! If you are determined to stay with history, then consider this....it is a accepted program to prepare for Law School!

3. daroc

daroc Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +36
    pan, to be honest i never really wanted to teach until my history teacher suggested it. i and i nvr planned on being a history major.but i am. i guess college will do that to- make you pick somin that you "enjoy" jus to get those grades and get out. even if i dont teach i still want to help kids. and at one point was think about public policy- but i want more interaction- than a desk job. tutoring kids every week has made me want to have more of a hands on responsibiltiy- after seeing kids who cant read and write in 4th grade or worse, but like you said- it dont really pay. at times i jus feel like all the job that really mean somin- that really help someone develop as a person in any way- dont pay- and thats not how it should be. I dont want to spend my life asnwering to the man to get paid, but at the same time- it seem slike helping my own doesnt pay either. where is the balance?

4. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Aren't they changing the criteria now for teachers and requiring them to have a degree higher than a BS?

When you graduate one way to pay back your loans is to teach. Your right about the professions that serve the public getting the short end of the money stick. Good luck on what ever you decide.

Sounds like Pan gave some very sound advice.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Yes brother Hodee more schools want teachers to have Masters Degrees. Many do tuition reimbursement; however, you still have to put money upfront. Quite frankly I don't feel that teaching pays enough for the education they require!

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    That says a lot sister Daroc! The easiest choice isn't always the best one. Either way the decision is yours, I wish you luck!

7. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    Teaching is a service job and none of the service jobs are high paying. Im in law enforcement another service job with low pay. If money is what you seek and not service then teaching is not for you.