Black Short Stories : Care Taker

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by MsInterpret, Oct 24, 2011.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Walking down the barely lit hallway, covered in filth, cracked walls with wallpaper peeling off the walls, carpet that had stains that no one ever bothered to clean, I could smell the odor of death, mixed with cat feces and booze. What a hole! For me, the smell of the deceased was an all too familiar scent that I would never come accustom too. But it was my job to find out how deceased had came too. As I came to the door way a police officer came to greet me with his hand over his mouth and nose.

“How you doing Detective?” asked the officer.

“Better than most, worse than others,” I chuckled.

“Better than the poor woman inside,” replied the officer with a grin I didn’t quite understand, but I decided to ignore it. “Her name is Beatrice Thompson, age 77. The woman’s daughter hadn’t seen her mother in days. Daughter's name is Rachel Thompson, age 56. She called her, but she never picked up the phone. So she came by and found the door slightly open and her mother on the hallway floor.”

I leaned forward and took a peek down the hallway of the apartment and noticed the body of an elderly woman on the floor. Her upper body was leaning against the wall and a small table. It was too dark for me to notice much more, I had to get a closer look in order to find out what really happened.

The officer continued speaking to me about the incident, “Looks like she’s probably been there for about a few days or so.”

“Any weapons?” I asked as I took out my small notebook in the side of my jacket and started to take notes.

“No,” the officer answered, “But it looks like she was stabbed a good number of times.”

“Hmm,” I nodded. The door didn’t have any signs of forced entry as the lock wasn’t broken, and neither was the frame of the door. If it had been kicked in or knocked open in some sort of way the door might have been damaged in some kind of way or may be there might have been a foot print. The door wasn’t the strongest of doors either, so there would be some sort of sign.

“**** dump!” The officer cried out. “You’d think someone in this place would have noticed something, but all these damned dope fiends are too high to notice or smell anything ‘round here. Scum of the earth they are. And I don’t know why that woman would let her mother stay…”

“Thank you officer,” I cut him off ‘cause I really wasn’t in the mood to hear anyone’s personal opinions. “Did you get any statements from any other witnesses besides the daughter?”

“No. Like I said detective, these low lifes are too high to notice anything.”
    “Well, stay here and make sure no one enters or tampers with anything around this parameter.”

The officer nodded and walked a little ways down the hall. I put gloves on and some slippers over my shoes so not destroy any evidence and ducked under the police tape on the doorway and made my way towards to body. There was dried blood everywhere, not just on the floor, but the walls. Pictures knocked off the wall and a mirror that was cracked that also had blood on it. Looked like someone's head, possibly Beatrice's, got smashed against it. I knelt down to take a closer look at the body and noticed what looked like to be a bruise on the left side of the cheek. The body was already decomposing and needed to be taken to forensics as soon as possible.

“Somebody hit that poor lady pretty hard.” I looked up and saw a lady with a camera in her hand. “Her dentures were found all the way at the end of the hallway.”

The lady was Elaine Bergman, she was from the coroner’s. A young ambitious woman who loved her line of work. I don’t think I’d ever seen her take a day off.

“Looks like the assailant knew her,” I mentioned to Elaine.

“It looks like she was stabbed 13 times, all in the lower abdomen, and no sign of any weapon. I was waiting for you so that way we could move the body down to be checked out some more,” Elaine said, “My assistant dusted for finger prints, but we haven’t come up with anything. The only prints we did find were those of the daughter’s and a caregiver that comes by every couple of days. Other than that the daughter says her mother doesn’t have any visitors.”

“Where’s the caregiver?” I asked getting to my feet.

“No one knows. The daughter is downstairs in a patrol unit, Detective Daniels is downstairs getting more information about the caregiver’s last none whereabouts. It doesn't look like the scuffle went any further than the hallway. Nothing else in the apartment was touched or taken."

“We got to find that caregiver,” I said to Elaine, but really talking to myself. “I’m going to take the daughter down to the station to see what else I can get out of her.”

“Alright Detective. As soon as I get an clear autopsy report I’ll give you a call.”

“Do that.”

To be continued....

2. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Welcome back gurl, I missed you too!

3. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Thanks! :) missed you too

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    awesome........................

5. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    LOL but will she finish it?? :lol:

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    good question but i truely think she will finish it and bring it to a final note

7. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    After exiting the apartment building I saw Detective Daniels by a patrol unit talking to a woman whom I suspected to be Beatrice's daughter, Rachel Thompson. As I approached the vehicle I could tell Rachel was going to be a handful. You could tell she was spun out on some kind of dope. Her eyes were heavily glazed over and red, she looked like she hadn't bathed in days because her hair was matted and her face and clothes looked grungy.
    "How's the scene checking out up there?" Daniels asked?
    "Good. Just need to find out where this caregiver is." I responded looking down at Rachel.
    "She's a little out of it. I've been listening to her babble on and on, and she really isn't making any sense out of this situation," complained Daniels.
    "Take her down to the station and put her in the holding cell," I directed.
    "But I didn't do nothing wrong," Rachel cried out as Daniels closed the back of the squad door.
    I looked at her threw the window. Tears poured down leaving streaking on her face. As she cried out you could notice the drugs had taken a serious toll on her teeth.
    I turned back to Daniels and asked him one more question before he pulled off.
    "Did you get the name of the caregiver?"
    "No. She said she only met the lady a couple of times, but that she spoke in Spanish."
    "Alright. I'm gonna go upstairs and have a look around and see if I can find some documents that might have some information on this caregiver. I'll see you at the office."
    "See ya."

I walked back into the crime scene as the corner's office was just taking out the body. I stepped over the blood and noticed a shoe print that was heading back towards the door.
    "Hey Elaine, did you get this?" I asked.
    "Yeah, I got." She answered back with a kind of angry look. "What? You think I'm not good at what I do?"
    "No," I said shaking my head. "I was just asking."
    "Well we got all we needed to get."
    "Sounds good. I'm gonna take a look around one last time to see if I can find some papers pointing to who this caregiver is."
    "Alright, I'll give you call after I do an autopsy."
    I nodded and went back on my hunt.
    I rummaged through a desk but found nothing, but overdue bills, medical documents, and miscellaneous papers, but nothing that mentioned a caregiver.
    The bedroom came up with nothing and so did everything else. As I stood in the kitchen I noticed a magnet on the refrigerator that said 'Holy Rosary Caregiver Services' at the bottom it said 'Si, Habla Espanol' and then the phone number.
    A lead!

To be continued....

8. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    intriguing. now give us the hook.:)

9. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447