Black Entertainment : CAPTAIN AMERICA 2

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Kemetstry, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    A sci-fi action classic.

2. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    My Review Of CAP 2:

I've come to a place where I refuse to give Marvel any of my money for their product anymore. And not just because I'm for the opposing team, either; but also because I don't like how they operate as a company, and as a consumer, there is no better way to voice my opinion, than with my dollars.

That said though, as a comic book fan, I'm still interested in whatever gets done with these characters just the same. So, if I can cop a bootleg, or sneak into a movie, I will.... Some of these films I would eventually catch on cable, or borrow somebody's DVD or Blu-Ray to watch it.

And so it goes with Cap 2.

I think I've seen all the Marvel "Cinematic Universe" movies to date, and most of them have been anywhere from decent to boring. For the most part, nothing I'd wanna watch more than once. My fave one thus far, has been the last Hulk movie (Hulk is one of my few fave characters from Marvel).

Ultimately, I found Cap 2, to be kinda "meh". I'm sure that comes as no surprise to some of you, but I just didn't see the mind-blowing movie-going experience that this was hyped up to be.

Now granted, I admit to my bias. I'm not a Marvel fan in the slightest, but Captain America is a character that I absolutely despise. As a conscious Black man, I'm not EVER gonna feel the blue-eyed, blonde haired "savior" of America, who was genetically altered to become a "super soldier" (which is about as Nazi "master race" as it gets). That, and the militarization of Marvel's "Heroes" has always left a bad taste in my mouth, with their top 3 heroes (one being a soldier, another being a Norse War God, and the other being a military industrialist) being basic warmongers.

So, suffice it to say, I'm not a Marvel fan.

But in the interest of fairness, let me talk about what I liked about this film:

• Anthony Mackie/Falcon = I love this actor, and he brought this character (who in the comics is basically a nobody) to life in an interesting way.
    • Winter Soldier = The character's portrayal was done quite well, IMO, from a visual perspective. Especially his metal arm.
    • The technology = Very well portrayed. Everything from the jets, to the hellicarriers (which BTW, it's funny that they got crashed.... Kinda makes it funny, considering that I crashed one in the Marvel/DC story that I wrote, which IMO, was a little more interesting than what happened here).
    And...... That's about it.

So, now for the negatives:

• SHIELD as an org is absolute ****. They were more worthless in this movie than they are in the TV show. WTF good are they? They are supposed to be the premiere (albeit redundant since they showed the FBI and the CIA in the movie) espionage/intelligence org in the MU, but they end up being totally ineffectual. And they have been since the very first Iron Man movie. And why the **** do they dress like SWAT mercs? What happened to the stylized uniforms from the comics? Nothing is visually appealing about them whatsoever. Never mind the fact that they don't seem to dress consistently between the movies and the show. AND, these guys get their ***** whipped, like an after school special. Not to mention (SPOILERS) they get infiltrated like it's nothing. How on earth has the "World Security Council" given these guys an endless amount of funding, for this steaming heap of failure? And between the show and these movies, these guys can fly all around the world in their fancy jets and flying cars, but they are NEVER around when you need them? I remember in the Iron Man movies they showed up on the scene, and in the first Thor movie, they were around, being all nosey and bullying civilian scientists and whatnot... But when aliens invade, and their camp gets taken over, these dudes ain't worth a ****.
    • Speaking of the whole "getting infiltrated" thing, this whole "we have seen the enemy, and the enemy is us" trope has been done before, and done better, IMO. The latest Star Trek Movie is a perfect example of this. The reality is, when you've militarized your "heroes", that's going to be the only outcome.
    • In mentioning Cap again, his whole power set just bugs the **** outta me. Namely, his shield. Originally in the comics, his shield was able to absorb kinetic energy, or something of that sort. However, in each of the movies he's been in thus far, that has been demonstrated in different, and always contradictory ways, and this film was no exception. An enemy punches the shield, and he gets knocked halfway across the world. But he can take a full blow from Thor, from off the top rope, and shrugs it off like it's nothing? Yeah, okay.
    • Where the **** are the Avengers in this film? Okay, they named-dropped a few characters... Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's only cool for the die-hard Marvel Zombies. It makes no sense that Iron Man or even Hawkeye can't even show up. See, I've come to realize that all "Cinematic Universe" basically means, is some brief cameos, some side-mentioned names here and there, and that's about it. These people rarely ever show up, especially during times when they could prove most useful.

Beyond that, there are LOADS of logistical stuff that I found problematic in the movie, such as:

• How does Nick Fury basically wrestle the guy in his SUV, with a broken arm? Really? It's not like Fury has any superpowers in these movies, or is even particularly well-trained as a fighter.
    • A Hummer jeep crashes full speed into the back of a Lexus (with NO AIR BAG), and these people are basically okay? Yeah, okay.
    • Why on earth does Cap take off his mask to fight the enemy? That made absolutely no sense, especially when he gets caught in an explosion a few minutes later, and has his head slammed into a wall.
    • So... You've been given this top secret, game-changing info on a flash drive..... And you "hide" it in a vending machine, behind some M&M's, so someone can buy it???? No wonder your whole org has been infiltrated, with that kinda stupidity.
    • How do you jump out of a glass window, that's designed to withstand armor-piercing rounds, with only 3 feet of running/jumping clearance??
    • Why does Cap even live in public apartments? Your alter ego is VERY public, to the point of people recognizing him when he's out and about. You're a military spy soldier, but you don't think it's dangerous to live next door to civilians, so that when people shoot rockets into your apartment, maybe civilians just MIGHT get hurt???? You don't have a girlfriend/wife, or anything resembling a normal life, if you're not on a mission, you're training for one.... So why don't you just live in a secure military facility, away from the people you're supposed to protect?
    • It bugs the **** outta me, that Marvel has very few noteworthy villains to speak of... Certainly not many that they've used in their movies. If it's not a recycled Loki, then it's some non-descript villains (can anyone even name the guy from the last Iron Man film??), or the government. Most of the time, the heroes are fighting each other, and this is mostly no exception. Winter Soldier is an on/off anti-hero/villain.... Basically the Red Hood of the MU. Yeah, whatever. We've been teased Thanos a couple of years ago, and still no closer to seeing the true BIG BAD. These Z-listers just aren't that interesting.
    • These end credit scenes have become increasingly pointless and redundant. There was a time where people stayed till the end of the credits to see what was coming next..... Now it just feels like a big waste of time, and you can easily leave the movie when the main movie is over, and not feel like you've missed anything. Was that supposed to be Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch at the end?

This film has all the typical Marvel fanfare; lots of flash, with little substance, lots of the usual Marvel snark that passes for humor and "characterization", and occasional name-dropping to make the kids and Marvel Zombies go berserk....

Meh.

IMO, this movie is what the SHIELD TV show should be, just with a smaller budget. Not the Marvel version of the Big Bang Theory on TV, that they call "Agents of ****".

This was certainly better than the last few movies they've done (the first Cap movie, the last Iron Man and Thor movies), but that's really not saying much for me. I enjoyed the last Hulk movie by leaps and bounds over this one. Honestly, I think the best parts of this film were seen in the commercials and trailers for it. I'm clearly not the target audience for this (and other of Marvel's movies), just like I realize that Man Of Steel isn't for everybody. But, for me, MOS is FAR superlative to Cap 2.

So overall, I'd give this a 6 out of 10. As a matter of perspective, the first Cap movie was a 3 out of 10.

3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    yeah cap shield depiction in the movies is bs...he knocked thor back 1000 ft in the avengers...lmao
    that was probably the worse scene of all time with marvel movies...and i'm going back to the original spiderman's with the rope looking web....lmao

one love
    khasm

4. Flavia

Flavia Well-Known Member MEMBER

Romania
    Lazy person.
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hope to see it sometime this week at cinema:)

5. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,325
    I'm a fan of Marvel, but not a fan of Cap A. He was always boring to me like the Blondie Norse dude with the hammer.

Cap A is like, on drugs, and I'm supposed to root for that? :lol: He's kind of out-dated to me. They should trash him, like they did Catman. :lol:

6. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

Not drugs, special steroids

7. Angela22

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,325
    LOL, okay, so you put "special" in front of it, and it's not a drug anymore?

He's totally doping; should be banned from the Avengers for being a user.

8. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

If he was a brother, it would be bad. Because he was white, there was a war on, it was special "vitamins"

9. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    This. The problem is, Iron Man's father was one of the people that came up with the "special drugs". And Iron Man himself has had similar "augmentations". Hawkeye too.

So getting kicked out of the Avengers is not the problem, it's joining the Avengers in the first place.

10. Angela22

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,325
    Didn't even know that much; Iron man's an alcoholic, so I don't trust him drinking and driving that suit, and Hawkeye is...well...*snore...totally need some better "Avengers". :lol: I think in this respect, I've always liked the Justice League more; shoot, I think I like the "Teen Titans" more than them.

It's like the Justice was more thought out, to me, while the Avengers is something that was just suggested by the drunk at someone's birthday party, in a backyard.