Angola : Capoeira Angola defense

imhotep06

Jan 21, 2004
Houston
Occupation
Web Applications Developer
I think the first step is renaming back to its African name: Kipuru. It is from Kipuru that we get Capoeira. It is Kikongo for "flutter like a chicken" in reference to the fluttering movement of chickens or roosters fighting. As long as we continue to use the Portugese transposition of the term, they will feel a "legacy" to it.

Corvo

navigator of live
May 9, 2003
LaLa land
Occupation
Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
I believe Ngolo would be more correct, it's where many of it's movements come from and it's strategies.

Have you read Fighting for honor, by T.J. Desch(sp)? I recommend this book on African fighting systems.

imhotep06

Jan 21, 2004
Houston
Occupation
Web Applications Developer
The problem with Ngola is that it doesn't describe the movement. Ngola is Bantu for "energy." The art simply is a transposition of the high flying acrobats and dance movements which move from side to side like that of the rooster and thus Kipuru which was transposed to Capoeira.

Corvo

navigator of live
May 9, 2003
LaLa land
Occupation
The problem with Ngola is that it doesn't describe the movement. Ngola is Bantu for "energy." The art simply is a transposition of the high flying acrobats and dance movements which move from side to side like that of the rooster and thus Kipuru which was transposed to Capoeira.

If that is what you want to believe, sure O.K.:toast:

do you play Capoeira?

Corvo

navigator of live
May 9, 2003
LaLa land
Occupation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=qU_6vfzEoIA

I found this video on some Capoeira training. It is similar to some of the drills my group does.

Enjoy, and do seek out an African centered group near you. It will help you grow closer to our African spirit!

AXE!

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

sekou kasimu wrote on willa's profile.
What exactly is your ideology?!
I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.