Black People : Capital Punishment: For or Against?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by NNQueen, May 2, 2003.

?

Are you in favor of or against capital punishment?

1. I am in favor of capital punishment

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. I am against capital punishment

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Depends on the crime

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Undecided

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Cases can be made for or against capital punishment. Those that are in favor of capital punishment argue it on the basis of justice and morality. If a person commits a vicious crime, they destroy the moral community and give up their rights to live like any other citizen in that community--even their right to life.

The argument against capital punishment is based on love and forgiveness and the hope that people who commit crimes can be redeemed. From this perspective, criminals should be isolated from the innocent, where they can no longer do them any harm--perhaps permanently. Just punishment is okay but the community should not stop loving or give up even on those who show no love.

Some people believe that life imprisonment without parole serves the same purpose as capital punishment but costs less without the practical disadvantages and injustices of its actual practice.

Which view do you take in regard to capital punishment? Are you for it or against it?

Source: http://www.frontiernet.net/~kenc/cappun.htm This post was last edited by NNQueen on 05-05-03.

2. monetg

monetg Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Monster,

I'm unclear--how is life imprisonment less costly than capital punishment?

"Life imprisonment without parole serves the same purposes as capital punishment at less cost without the practical disadvantages and injustices of its actual practice."

I say certain crimes should be punishable by death-ie infanticide. Perfect example--Scott Peterson (the man accused of killing his wife and unborn child in Modesto, California) should be tortured and executed-then resucitated and executed again.
    I like the "eye for an eye" concept of capital punishment but an unjust and corrupt system can't justly operate, running a high risk of exterminating the innocent accidentally.
    If we could construct a fool-proof method of of determining guilt then I'd be all for capital punishment but I can't say I'm wholely against it either.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    i'm for it when it come to children
    but to kill and be killed is not the answer
    simple not GODLY

4. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Scorp,

"I'm unclear--how is life imprisonment less costly than capital punishment?"

Good question and I'm not sure how Cauthen calculated the cost of life imprisonment and the cost of killing a prisoner. It would seem that it would cost less to execute a prisoner as opposed to maintaining a prisoner sentenced to life imprisonment, particularly if the prisoner is relatively young.

5. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    It pays to know your rights

In reference to the justice system in the U.S., it doesn't hurt to know your rights. Information contained in the following link includes the Rodney King case in 1991 and other similar cases; the "Tuskegee Syphilis Study" that didn't end until 1972, and other scientific experiments in the U.S. Very detailed and comprehensive. . .

http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/cat/usa2000.html

6. JT_A

JT_A Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Death Sentence Is A Fragment

The facts are only disputable by those who like to argue.

It isn't until YOU or a loved one is actually falsely accused of a crime, vicious or otherwise, that empathy for wrongly convicted criminals is automatic. If you have faith in a supreme being that will make all wrongs right you have another reason to be in favor of life.

I am against capital punishment, I'm even against lower case punishment, most specifically 'abortion'. Wheather the State condones murder before birth or after birth is no difference to me.

That having been said, I also view this arguement from the other side of the table; if my child was murdered by someone, I see no societal wrong for me to take that person's life as one form of retrobution. In that vein, I believe, if you believe in your heart, that someone has done you wrong, you have cause to meet-out your own justice.

Life in prison is no pick-nic or cake-walk, so a life sentence is pratical. Let us not forget that in some states prisoners are literally 'paying their costs' in addition to doing their time for their imprisonment.

As for one of the earlier statements with respect to a small error percentage, I want to refresh your memory about the CENTRAL PARK JOGGER RAPE CASE: A large number of black and latino boys were gathered up, harrassed, made to admit to things they knew didn't occur (cops told them others already implicated them, so if they tell on someone else the judge will go easy...), humiliated for weeks on national TV, and in newspapers, and then railroaded into jail for years for crimes they didn't commit.

Now, if the District Attorney wanted to make it a capital offense, and the jury said GUILTY, those brothers would have died because of our (societal) wrong. Captial Punishment has no room for 'OOOOOPS I WAS WRONG'. Our brothers went in as innocent boys and came out as scarded men, given the comment on this thread, if most of you had your way they would have come out charred.

Shame on you.

7. s-jerard

s-jerard Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    We had this discussion last night at work while waiting on Carl Isaacs, the nations longest serving death row inmate, to be put to death.

Isaacs killed six members of the same family back in 1973.
    And after and endless stream of appeals he finally was executed
    last night.

The victims family was like, "Justice is finally being served."

But after lasting 30 years on death row, I think Carl Isaacs won.

Personally, I'm for the death penalty for those who show no remorse. I'm for life in prison for those who do.

8. Kitana

Kitana Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I have to say that yes, I'm all for capital punishment, when it has been proved beyond reasonable doubt (conclusively) that the offender committed the crime...

I was raised to believe that it was wrong to take anothers life, and that when you are wronged, doing the same to another, only brings you down to their level...but as far as I'm concerned, some people, such as those who rape and kill innnocent little children, are wasting good oxygen...and need to be punished severely for what they have done....

the justice system is at the stage where some of the punishments for crimes comitted, are laughable, and do nothing to deter others from doing the same thing....we need to have a system in place where anyone contemplating a crime needs to know that justice will be served and the punishment will be swift and harsh..and in saying that, I know that it would never be an easy thing to achieve and there will be mistakes made....but the way it is now, is certainly not working for the benefit of society..

K

9. prometheusunbou

prometheusunbou Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Most capital punishments are directed agents us and until that trend changes capital punishment is a crime to humanity, a crime agents us. Capital punishment is shameful and it stinks from hear to heaven, what's good for one should be good for all but not so with CP, Whites are committing murders left and right but are not executed as much as us, what I want to know is why some of us take to this type of injustice knowing that we are the intended victims of this act. I am a truck driver and every day on cretin roads I see cops more oft then not pull more Black Motorist over then thy do whites is this justice?, if not then nether is Capital punishment. Kitana If I knew that if it was equal I would side with you, you made some good points exp when you say quote: but the way it is now, is certainly not working for the benefit of society.. that is so true.

liviti
    quote: weighing the pros and cons of capital punishment, a 5% error rate would be fine.
    I ask you, is it fine when Blacks are the majority of people that it applies to, is it justice for us or is it just us? (To be or not to be).

liviti
    weighing the pros and cons of capital punishment, a 5% error rate would be fine.
    To you what are the pros and cons that make a 5% error rate fine?

I see that only 10 people voted I would have imagined that the numbers would have been much bigger on such an important subject as this.

10. Aisha

Aisha Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I am against capital punishment because I believe it gives vicious killers an easy way out. I want this country to start torture chambers and just for those that are "clearly" guilty of thier crime.

Aisha