Black People : Capital Punishment: For or Against?

Are you in favor of or against capital punishment?

• I am in favor of capital punishment

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I am against capital punishment

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Depends on the crime

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Queenie

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Cases can be made for or against capital punishment. Those that are in favor of capital punishment argue it on the basis of justice and morality. If a person commits a vicious crime, they destroy the moral community and give up their rights to live like any other citizen in that community--even their right to life.

The argument against capital punishment is based on love and forgiveness and the hope that people who commit crimes can be redeemed. From this perspective, criminals should be isolated from the innocent, where they can no longer do them any harm--perhaps permanently. Just punishment is okay but the community should not stop loving or give up even on those who show no love.

Some people believe that life imprisonment without parole serves the same purpose as capital punishment but costs less without the practical disadvantages and injustices of its actual practice.

Which view do you take in regard to capital punishment? Are you for it or against it?

Source: http://www.frontiernet.net/~kenc/cappun.htm This post was last edited by NNQueen on 05-05-03.

Monster,

I'm unclear--how is life imprisonment less costly than capital punishment?

"Life imprisonment without parole serves the same purposes as capital punishment at less cost without the practical disadvantages and injustices of its actual practice."

I say certain crimes should be punishable by death-ie infanticide. Perfect example--Scott Peterson (the man accused of killing his wife and unborn child in Modesto, California) should be tortured and executed-then resucitated and executed again.
I like the "eye for an eye" concept of capital punishment but an unjust and corrupt system can't justly operate, running a high risk of exterminating the innocent accidentally.
If we could construct a fool-proof method of of determining guilt then I'd be all for capital punishment but I can't say I'm wholely against it either.

Scorp,

"I'm unclear--how is life imprisonment less costly than capital punishment?"

Good question and I'm not sure how Cauthen calculated the cost of life imprisonment and the cost of killing a prisoner. It would seem that it would cost less to execute a prisoner as opposed to maintaining a prisoner sentenced to life imprisonment, particularly if the prisoner is relatively young.

It pays to know your rights

In reference to the justice system in the U.S., it doesn't hurt to know your rights. Information contained in the following link includes the Rodney King case in 1991 and other similar cases; the "Tuskegee Syphilis Study" that didn't end until 1972, and other scientific experiments in the U.S. Very detailed and comprehensive. . .

http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/cat/usa2000.html

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back