Pan Africanism : can't we all get along?

I wish we could all get along. Its certainly unfair to attack someone because they disagree with views that some may hold. A person could say "I disagree with what you're saying Charlie" and thats cool, but querying my racial back ground to see whether I'm white was an ad-hominem red herring attack. If i was white, attacking my background does little to nothing to refute my position.

Charlie_Bass said:
I wish we could all get along. Its certainly unfair to attack someone because they disagree with views that some may hold. A person could say "I disagree with what you're saying Charlie" and thats cool, but querying my racial back ground to see whether I'm white was an ad-hominem red herring attack. If i was white, attacking my background does little to nothing to refute my position.

There are better ways to debate than to question the person's race.

However, there have been situations here where a member puts forth viewpoints that consistently go against the purpose of this forum. This is particularly the case with opinions that ignore racism and basically says everything is the black person's fault. These tend to be views purported by whites and ultra-conservative blacks.

So while I think you do have a point, I can't say that I agree that race doesn't matter here. It does because it matters in this country... which is one of the reasons why the board is here in the first place. If you're black, then it's assumed you are on the same wavelength as the people here... if you're white then most would assume you're probably here to cause trouble, or to find fault with the black community.

karmashines said:
There are better ways to debate than to question the person's race.

However, there have been situations here where a member puts forth viewpoints that consistently go against the purpose of this forum. This is particularly the case with opinions that ignore racism and basically says everything is the black person's fault. These tend to be views purported by whites and ultra-conservative blacks.

So while I think you do have a point, I can't say that I agree that race doesn't matter here. It does because it matters in this country... which is one of the reasons why the board is here in the first place. If you're black, then it's assumed you are on the same wavelength as the people here... if you're white then most would assume you're probably here to cause trouble, or to find fault with the black community.

Race does matter in some situations when its blatantly obvious that bias is involved and there is no problem with that, but is all fallacious to cry racism everytime there is a disagreement. People here can disagree with me all they want but unless they address my specific points and post evidence to refute it, they're not making any point.

karmashines said:
there have been situations here where a member puts forth viewpoints that consistently go against the purpose of this forum. This is particularly the case with opinions that ignore racism and basically says everything is the black person's fault. These tend to be views purported by whites and ultra-conservative blacks.

This is an essential point that you've raised Karmashines. Most non-blacks and ultra-conservative blacks who join this website also approach its topics with hostility, as well as question the credibility of what we post (which is an opposite approach to how most blacks approach this site, with a desire to connect and converse with other black people). Non-blacks and ultra-conservative blacks are also often condescending. Charlie Bass was all three (hostile, condescending, questioning the credibility of everything posted), which is why he was questioned. Our members are highly intelligient and very perceptive. We can easily detect such actions. Charlie Bass since you say that you're black I believe you. However as I said before you need to drop your hostile attitude. That alone will improve how people here interact with you. You also need to realize that we at Destee believe in teaching, guiding, and building with our people. If this is your goal, I don't think you'll have any further problems. Disagree all you want, just be prepared to site your sources, and have them possibly challenged. Despite your initial thoughts people here are well read, well educated, and well researched in many fields.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back