Pan Africanism : can't we all get along?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by jamesfrmphilly, Oct 17, 2005.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    Rodney King...................

2. Charlie_Bass

Charlie_Bass Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish we could all get along. Its certainly unfair to attack someone because they disagree with views that some may hold. A person could say "I disagree with what you're saying Charlie" and thats cool, but querying my racial back ground to see whether I'm white was an ad-hominem red herring attack. If i was white, attacking my background does little to nothing to refute my position.

3. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    There are better ways to debate than to question the person's race.

However, there have been situations here where a member puts forth viewpoints that consistently go against the purpose of this forum. This is particularly the case with opinions that ignore racism and basically says everything is the black person's fault. These tend to be views purported by whites and ultra-conservative blacks.

So while I think you do have a point, I can't say that I agree that race doesn't matter here. It does because it matters in this country... which is one of the reasons why the board is here in the first place. If you're black, then it's assumed you are on the same wavelength as the people here... if you're white then most would assume you're probably here to cause trouble, or to find fault with the black community.

4. Charlie_Bass

Charlie_Bass Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Race does matter in some situations when its blatantly obvious that bias is involved and there is no problem with that, but is all fallacious to cry racism everytime there is a disagreement. People here can disagree with me all they want but unless they address my specific points and post evidence to refute it, they're not making any point.

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is an essential point that you've raised Karmashines. Most non-blacks and ultra-conservative blacks who join this website also approach its topics with hostility, as well as question the credibility of what we post (which is an opposite approach to how most blacks approach this site, with a desire to connect and converse with other black people). Non-blacks and ultra-conservative blacks are also often condescending. Charlie Bass was all three (hostile, condescending, questioning the credibility of everything posted), which is why he was questioned. Our members are highly intelligient and very perceptive. We can easily detect such actions. Charlie Bass since you say that you're black I believe you. However as I said before you need to drop your hostile attitude. That alone will improve how people here interact with you. You also need to realize that we at Destee believe in teaching, guiding, and building with our people. If this is your goal, I don't think you'll have any further problems. Disagree all you want, just be prepared to site your sources, and have them possibly challenged. Despite your initial thoughts people here are well read, well educated, and well researched in many fields.

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    thank God i don't have education..........

it seems as soon as a brother gets ahold of some knowledge he also gets ahold of an attitude.
    how are we going to build together if every one comes in the door with a "superior" attitude.
    i think Charlie Bass and every one else needs to dial it back a few notches and share and teach the rest of us.
    should brothers and sisters miss out on good information just because some folks have a bad attitude?
    how weak is that?

7. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    to answer your question James, no... we can't ALL get along because not ALL of us are predisposed to be be united. In fact many of US are working against the rest of US.

8. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

It is exactly this arrogant and condescending attitude which cllas you into question.

Speaking for myself, I come to these forums to share information and much of what is expressed is also personal opinion on a topic. I am the kind of person who tends to cite reference sources on some topics but see no need to "post evidence" in order to get a point across. This is not the classroom or a scientific lab.

..."unless the address my specific points and post evidence to refute it, they're not making any point."

LMAO!

This is totally against the SPIRIT of THIS Family.

Wow!

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,688
    we do get along here

:heart:

Destee