Black People : Can't Vote...But You Count!

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by happy69, May 25, 2004.

1. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
  2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Two problems with Felon's Rights in Florida are the Felon and the State.

First the State of Florida:

In our state citizens loose their civil right's (voting) after a felony conviction, purportedly after they are finished with their sentence they are entitled to gain their rights back

The Process to gain them back requires you filing a clemency application with the Office of Clemency, the Application used to be 13 pages long and now it has been reduced from 1 to 4 pages. So you fill out the form and wait for your rights to be restored, and it is that simple right.

Wrong. It takes up to two years for the State of Florida to Process your application. I filed my application in October of 2002 and I just received my Civil Rights back in May of 2004. I have already registered to vote and am already on the list to work at the polls. Moreover, the state does not tell you how to do this either.

In about 6 to months to a year, I will be going before the State Legislator to present a plain to expedite the reinstatement of Civil Rights for felons; it will be a computer based solution that will allow computer software to reinstate people, thus making the process faster because it is currently done by human hands. Hopefully the state will acknowledge my project and let me proceed.

The Problem with the Felons:

I have discussed with several felons over the last 2 to 3 years about getting their rights back and the response I get a lot is **** DEM ******** OR **** DA SYSTEM. Some of these people have no desire to vote. The ACLU tries to hold Voters Reinstatement drives for felons but they usually fall on Deaf ears.

One of my goals after presenting my project to the state is to create a new program to encourage felons to vote. I think one of the problems Felons have is that the people who are trying to help them do not relate to them. Thus, there’s a disconnect between the messenger and the message. I myself will handle the message part because I know someone who has never been a felon can relate to a person who is.

Another component of this program will be to create a brochure for prisoners and probationers and parolees, which will tell them how to reinstate their rights once their sentences are finished.

In conclusion, this argument goes both ways, while the State of Florida and other states Disenfranchise felons, we still must look at the fact that some felons do not want to participate in the political system of this country. I think when people like me start presenting the proper legislation to our state governments, these problems will be eradicated over time.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I've been saying this for years...I've posted this numerous times on this website alone. In fact a made this subject one of the areas we need to concentrate on the African American agenda:

4. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Dang!
    They are really trying
    to bumrush my people from
    every angle. Tying up
    every loop hole that
    they can find.
    Sumpthin got these
    people working on
    overtime. I sure hope
    that we can get it
    together before it's
    to late!

5. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, Man, I understand what you are saying; and I agree on both counts. I don't believe that the system would try to explain exactly how to regain rights. I also, agree with the degree of apathy that you say that you have faced. I don't think that if David Duke had not ran for Governor of this state; I honestly do not believe that I would have started voting-but I did, and I have not missed voting since 18- regardless of where I am at. As a matter of fact I worked the polls when I was living in Boston too.

But, this is not just about restoring rights; and I still wrestle within myself over who gets to restore rights; meaning my mind changes on the subject from time to time. This is about, a sector of the society who doesn't have the right to vote--- yet, they are taken outside of the place where they live and are counted as constituents where they are housed- so, in effect this takes voting power from the community from whence they came. That is heinous! And according to the article it is also illegal... I think if you approach the subject with the ones you are trying to reach with this kind of evidence... this should at least cause pause; after pause [sometimes] comes thinking and with thinking can come ACTION.

PA I don't doubt that you posted this story; I don't remember seeing it or reading it. You know that sometimes some of Us post the same thing or the same topic---and it is almost the luck of the draw, which survive and which perish. But, I know that We have talked about the subject matter. So, I'll ask you, Have you heard of any litigation pending against any state about this? For jails in and or around Black Communities are the prisoners counted?
    I think the latter question could really shed light on the subject and cut out any questions. You are correct PA, this has to at least be in the top five, but behind helping those out here, working and striving first.

6. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    DOMINOE THEORY! or I really like Donald Byrd

Catch all the brothers playing dominos and tell them to play this game.
    WE NEED THEME MUSIC. So everyone play Donald Byrd's hit Dominoes.
    GIVE BUSH THE :court: :court: :court: :court:

WE'LL Stand our problems all in a row, watch them fall like DOMINOES!

" This is about, a sector of the society who doesn't have the right to vote--- yet, they are taken outside of the place where they live and are counted as constituents where they are housed- so, in effect this takes voting power from the community from whence they came. "

Yes Happy this is going on. The Republicans did a redistricting of all the states that were part of the sedition that caused the civil war. Redistricting. They were doing this last year. I called a few radio stations, and the plea to have someone investigate and move on this wfell on deaf ears.

They setting us up with Die - Bold. ( BOLD DEATH ) Any way you want to spell it. :driveby: Make the system stand up and fall like DOMINOES!

This is another problem with many voting and that will be encountered. They don't want to take the time, nor travel to the polls. They should do absentee ballot. This may be something Black Americans should pull on the masses. I'm talking making a bold statement, with the voting system.

THAT IS WHAT OUR ANCESTORS FOUGHT AND DIED FOR. IT IS WHAT MARTIN AND MALCOLM DIED FOR.

Bush Gained FLORIDA Ground with overseas Absentee Votes when he stole Florida. Lets give him DEFEAT all over the country with absentee ballots.

( While we all sit at home, sipping something ) :tongue:

A absentee ballot vote. We could send them certified. Gauranteeing the mailing and I would go as far as spending an extra dollar on mine, by requesting a return receipt, I want proof they got it.

Instead of using the electronic DIE - BOLD Absentee Ballots should be returned.

" In foreign countries where missionaries work, there is an assumption that Americans are kind, moral, and compassionate people. They judge our country by the values and lifestyles of Americans living abroad. In many developing nations Christian missionaries are the largest people group representing America. The behavior of our current president made international headlines and was printed daily in the "World" section of PNG's national newspaper. The paper is called "WONTOK" and is written in Melanesian Pidgin, the trade language of PNG. We pray that our next president will represent the USA well, without bringing further shame on our country abroad. Don't neglect to exercise your privilege to VOTE! "

7. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    Hodee,

With this, We have to come to some consensus and immediately on how We are going to insure that Our Votes are counted-- truly as We vote.

How?

They need exit pollsters outside each and every polling place-- or they need to create a paper reciept for each voter---JUST LIKE AN ATM.