Can't Get To The Site

Discussion in 'Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions' started by Kemetstry, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    I couldnt get in the room at all

Moreover, I had difficulty even locating the site. I had to go thru the back door just to find Destee.com

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    indeed. the only way i got here was by using the ip address.

sure made for an interesting experience: the smilies box next to the message input box had some of the smilies spelled out; each post had "add to rep power" written out; the "destee discussion forum" logo was replaced by the alt text and there were even some gaps in the "post icons" list. and site navigation was weird; some links went hunting for destee.com and "broke" (could not resolve hostname) and some links would look for 207.36.125.225 - seems as if some links are written as relative links and some are absolute links.

even broke down and called valueweb tech support. <shrug> turns out that, while they do host the server that the forum runs on, they do not handle the domain name services so could not explore the issue ... unless a $75 fee were paid ... so we are stuck with this intermittency ....

oh! something was also mentioned about email problems because of the decision to self-host the name servers. and yeah, it takes a while for email from here to get to me. i can get a PM here and not get notified for as many as two days!

kinda odd, though, that the service providers of the different folks that have mentioned this issue all react in the same way to the same intermittent problem. seems more like it would be something at ns1 or ns2 ... but who am i to say?

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i was locked out of the site for the last 24 hrs or so.
    i got "server not found".

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Family ... i am so flustered by this problem.

I have absolutely no idea why this is happening to us.

The site is up, and has been up consistently for months.

I can get here. I don't have that problem. I'm not able to duplicate the problem.

I do believe you all are having this problem. Many have said that they are.

I can see by the numbers of Members logged in, number of posts, etc., that traffic is low.

I talked to the hosting folk, they say that everything is straight on our end. The server is up, the site is up, the domain is up, everything is up on their end.

They tell me it is probably DNS issues with the domain name servers with each Member's local ISP. For example, if you use comcast as your ISP, they have domain name servers (dns) that they use to route all site requests through. If they don't have us in that dns, you won't be able to get here. Not only may it be that dns, it could be any dns (or router) you use along the path of getting here.

Let me try to explain moe betta.

Each Member enters in destee.com into their browser. They first have to get past their own local ISP's dns. Once you do that, there are several hops that that request takes across the Internet, to get to us. Sometimes 10-12 hops, going through different routers, to get here. Any one of those routers not recognizing our domain, will drop the ball and you can't get here. And you'll receive page not found.

If it were our server, no one would be able to get here. That's what they tell me.

But that does nothing to solve the problem. I don't know what to do, to solve the problem. I'm not satisfied with the above answer, because it doesn't resolve the problem. I just don't know what to do.

Our site is up, and i don't have any control, nor does our hosting company, over the "hops" required to get to us.

I've sent them traceroute reports of Members who have provided these "hops" to me, indicating where they are getting dropped in their path to us, and it's been outside entities, like AT&T, where the ball is being dropped.

Since this problem has gone on now for about 4 weeks, progressively getting worse it seems, maybe i need to send them a whole bunch of traceroutes from Members that can't get in.

With this in mind, do the following the next time you can't get in:

1. Click on your START button

2. Go to RUN

3. Type in CMD ... and hit ... ENTER

4. A command window / prompt will appear.

5. Type in the following ... tracert destee.com ... and hit ENTER

6. You should see a series of numbered lines, about 10-12, illustrating the path (hops) you take from your computer to this site.

7. If you are not able to get here, somewhere in those hops, you'll see one of the numbered items with astericks in its line. This is an indication that the ball got dropped right there, keeping you from getting here.

8. Copy and paste this information into an email or notepad document. (To copy and paste from this window, right click on the top left hand corner of the window, where you see the little "C" ... a menu will appear ... choose EDIT, then select all ... then go back to that same little "C", right click it again, and choose EDIT ... copy ... you'll then be able to paste that information into another document.) Send it to me.

9. Maybe if we have a lot of these to send to our host, they can contact the outside entities and get them to adjust their stuff or something.

One additional thing. In doing the above, if you are not able to get here. Try entering in our IP address. It is http://207.36.125.225. You'll find that you are able to reach the front page, even if moments before you rec'd page not found error. That speaks to domain name servers (dns), as it is the domain name server that turns the ip address into the domain name (for lack of a better way of saying it).

In #5 above, you can also type in ... tracert 207.36.125.225 ... and you will get a successful tracert, even if you are not able to get here normally. Further indicating that this is a dns issue outside of us.

All of that to say, even when the domain name ... destee.com ... does not work for you ... the IP address ... http://207.36.125.225 ... will work. Unfortunately, it will only get you to the home page (for the most part). You will not be able to browse the site this way, because it's not coded with the IP address, it's coded with the domain name. This will verify for you though, that the site is actually up, it's just that you can't get to it.

Man.

I've never seen this problem like this before, in all the years i've been out here.

So please, if you get a chance to see this, and you can take these steps, (may want to copy and paste this into another document, while you can read it, so when you can't get here you'll know what to do), copy and paste the tracert information to me.

I hope i've not confused you all more than you were before, but this is essentially what we are dealing with.

Even last night, when i talked to tech support folk, he logged into 4 different services of his own, and was able to access the site ... using 4 different paths. So it's very difficult to get them to see the problem, as they can't duplicate it either.

If you all are able to send this to me, we can provide evidence that there is a problem, and get them to contact these outside entities.

I'm sorry i am not able to resolve this myself. You know i hate that folk can't get here.

I Love Yall.

:heart:

Destee

5. bm40

bm40 New Member MEMBER

Systems Engineer
    Ratings:
    +0
    This get's a little technical, but I'll try to keep it simple.

Each ISP has it's own computers (ok?) that should house the IP addresses (directly or indirectly) of all the other public registered computers - world wide. The ISP's computers are supposed to remain up to date. If for some reason you get routed to a computer (not related to your ISP) that doesn't have destee.com mapped to it's IP address, you get tossed "Page not found".

Next time it happens do this:

. Go to your DOS prompt
    Start -> Run -> Cmd
    . type
    tracert destee.com

If you see
    * * * * request timed out
    It's probably your ISP having routing a problem
    You should call them

If you see a bunch of lines with numbers and final line says "trace complete". This it's not a routing issue -- it's something else.

I hope this helps... :weights:

BM40

6. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    Ive been having that problem on and off for the last 5months or so now..
    i even added an additional browser (firefox) in addition to explorer and aol.,. which i thought perhaps it was my error and could not access the site.. it has gotten worse lately

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i was locked out all day and then i got back in toward evening.
    i called my ISP tech support and they could not help me.
    they could get in from where they were.

they said it looks like the domain name is not on all the servers.

i think the hosting people are supposed to propagate the domain name but i don't know exactly how.

8. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I have problems on all browsers except AOL.

9. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    I second that..
    cause i have firefox..
    i.expl
    and i pinged the website and it timed out... 4 out of 4

but aol works perfectly...
    sometimes when im cliking thru pages however.. it will say page not found.. after hitting refresh liek 3 times.. it will come up.

10. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Same here.