Pan Africanism : Cannibalism?!!

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Pharaoh Jahil, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Today in college, my teacher were talking about how some cultures practice cannibalism and this sista from East Africa told the class that it was said in her country(don't know which one) that a few African tribes also practiced cannibalism..It kinda dissapointed me, is this true?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    *Sigh*....to your African classmate: Whatever happened to not airing your dirty laundry? I do know of some African Ethnic Groups ("tribes" are actually considered by most to be an insulting term) that have been known to practice cannibalism, at least that did so in the past. This is unfortunate, but true. I know that many people (particularly Europeans) would use this as evidence of African savagery. But there are societies all over the World (Europe, Asia, and S. America) that have been known to do the same. That is not a justification for the practice of cannibalism; however, because I also think it is a sick practice. Yet, we as a people should not be embarrassed by every bad story we hear about Africa or Africans. Every bad practice is not a reflection on all of us.

3. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    <<<Yet, we as a people should not be embarrassed by every bad story we hear about Africa or Africans>>>

True, thank you for actually bringing me to my senses about that. I guess what's left of my Eurocentric-thinking kicked in. Even though we are the most unique, we also have our flaws. Africans aren't perfect. The whole human race has flaws but Europeans have the most. Now as for that sista airing her or 'our' dirty laundry, I was really ticked off that she would even think about mentioning that, all that does is give the diasporian-Africans in my class more of a reason to buy into the Euro-myths about and deny Africa.

4. DreamFunk

DreamFunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    ...some societies would claim to be cannibalistic solely to intimidate their enemies....however, there is a small gang of crazy drug-addicted men that are terrorizing the Congo with that mess....

....its pathetic how some will try to 'label' an enire group by the actions of a disturbed minority within that group...but there are "crazies" in every society.

...and some people have "resorted" to cannibalism (ie Gemans, Brits)...cannibalism also took place right here in good ol' America:

Then another river-freezing, icicled winter hit, and with it a period so bad it was later called the Starving Time. Arms and valuable worktools were traded for a pittance in food. The fields lay fallow. Housing was used as firewood. The weak settlers were easy pickings for the contemptuous Indians. Trapped within their walls by Powhatan's renewed enmity, the Jamestown residents ate their way through their livestock, their pets, mice, rats--and each other. Many turned to cannibalism, sneaking out at night--braving Indian ambush--to dig up the graves of both English and Indian dead. One contemporary wrote of a man who secretly killed his wife and ate her, until only the head was left. The author wrote --in a tasteless joke that has spanned centuries--"Now, whether she was better roasted, boiled or carbonadoed (grilled), I know not, but of such a dish as powdered (salted) wife I never heard of."
    ~A Brief History of Jamestown, Virginia

5. uzoka

uzoka Well-Known Member MEMBER

writer
    Ratings:
    +8
    The Imperial and Royal Dragon Court & Order, one of several occult-inspired secret societies created by the aristocracies of Europe following the formation of the Catholic Priory of Sion and the Knights Templar in the 12th Century and still existing today within the highest stratums of European society[with strong ties to the CIA and some today's most powerful pharmaceuticals], are known to practise vampirism, technically, a form of cannibalism, having been seen doing this by reporters for the Guardian, and preferring the blood of young boys [white] of high intelligence.

Strange people with even stranger habits and traditions are to be found right across the ethnic spectrum of human existence, Africans are no different, remember that.

Peace....

6. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    there is an old african proverb, it says your children's children will become food for your oppressor in a land overseas to the west. Hmmmmmmmmmm

7. sha-mecca allah

sha-mecca allah Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    there have always been savages. but the devil is the ultimate.

8. uzoka

uzoka Well-Known Member MEMBER

writer
    Ratings:
    +8
    From: http://mathaba.net/x.htm?http://www.mathaba.net/0_index.shtml?x=29157

http://www.geocities.com/newworldorder_themovie/thedarkside.html

http://mathaba.net/x.htm?http://www.mathaba.net/0_index.shtml?x=29157

9. dmn234

dmn234 New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    canibalism a myth

Am from the east african community and i have lived with the society that is alleged to be cannibalistic. The truth is that this' an age-long myth that was used as a defense mechanisim to instill fear into neighbouring communities. In such way, they lived peacefully without having their cattle rustled. That girl should have known better than to go preaching bad news about her country of origin. By the way, the community alleged to be cannibalistic are called the 'KISU' and live somewhere at the foot of Mt elgon and they are just a normal agricultural community- quite friendly to be sincere. This is not a publicity campaign anyway

10. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Here we go, again...from the skillet to the frying pan.

We need to be careful here and Africans (in this thread) probably need to do the appropriate research to dismiss this myth forever.

Several years ago, there was a well-respected anthropologist being interviewed who dispelled this erroneous idea that, a lot of Africans, Melanesians and Native American tribes were cannibals. He noted that THERE HAS NEVER BEEN AN MODERN ANTHROPOLOGIST THAT HAS WITNESSED AN ACT OF CANNIBALISM.

The only thing that even comes close, are the reports and revelations that some New Guinean “tribal” communities use to and some cases still do, consume the remains of dead relatives. They believe this ritual of respect, sort of, allow them to embody part of the soul and spirit, of the deceased and gives them a connection with their ancestors.

What do you think, the “so-called pagan” origins of the Eucharist and communion, are all about?

“take this bread…” (body) ________“drink this wine…” (blood).

You will find more interesting paths that imply cannibalism, among pre-Christian pagans and their direct influence on Christendom or Mesopotamian cultures, than you will in the mythologies of early European explorers. For, European explores were good at exaggerating and lying about, Africans and people that they feared or those who mystified them. As dmn234 has said, these types of “man-eating stories” were a form of defensive propaganda, used to ward off aggressors (especially WHITE PEOPLE).

We might need to leave this fairytale foolishness, in the old movies and cartoons that always showed black people, “cooking a white man in a pot”

Peace,

Sun Ship

:teach: There is NO pristine science, research or irrefutable evidence of cannibalism in Africa!!! :teach: