Black People : Canadian Artists for the Poor

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by phynxofkemet, Jan 26, 2009.

1. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    This ad found it's way to my facebook page. As an artist, I can always use more exposure for my work, because if it's not seen it doesn't sell, and if it doesn't sell it doesn't support it's own existence.

I am looking at this invitation seriously, and would like the thoughts of anyone else who would care to comment.

Participation will go to support CHANGES in AFRICA where I do hope one day pray to visit, so it seems like a positive opportunity all the way around.

It's been a long time since I've taken any sort of risk, and I guess I'm a little nervous and would like my friends take on this one:
    Also if you think I should enter a piece of work, out of the ones in my online Destee album which would you choose???
    :luvu:
    http://destee.com/forums/album.php?albumid=82

http://www.artistsforthepoor.ca/index.html

2. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Wow! I say "Go for it, Sista!"

I took a look at the artists featured and didn't see digital works there - but you know my favourites from your destee album are Phynx of the Perfect Night - like you said, at first I wasn't quite sure if I liked it at all - but it just drew me in and I really love it! I also like Gaia. :)

If you do choose to take part, good luck and keep us posted on developments, please!

:heart:

3. phynxofkemet

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    Thanks Sister!

I had Gaia in mind too! And since she's an original done on oil, I'm going to see about having it replicated as a giclee. When I looked up at the post, it had 1 reply and had been viewed 11 times. 1:11 - usually means
    " This sign is used to indicate that your thoughts are related to the start of a new cycle in your life. What you are thinking about doing or changing is correct for the new phase of your life.

http://www.spiritual-path.com/numerology.htm

Excellent sign - thanks again!

4. phynxofkemet

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    Mawu isn't a good fit

So, I went ahead and got the canvas copied. I submitted a jpg of the canvas, and was told the following:

I ran your painting by some of the other organizers of the event, and they weren't sure it was a good fit...are you able to send me a .jpg of the other item you were thinking of donating?
    http://destee.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1072

I haven't replied yet, because I'm not sure whether I want to B slap somebody or remain diplomatic with their rejection of my piece.
    I guess I either have to take some formal training in art or face constant rejection of my work.... oh my the mountain top just got a little further away

Please advise

5. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    don't let them fools get u down sis...that piece is dope....
    it's probably to black-minded for them....
    use this moment in time as motivation to even get better...
    as long as you believe in yourself you are 99% there....

one love
    khasm

6. phynxofkemet

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    thank you

:wave:
    brother Khasm, that verbal hug felt really good...

7. phynxofkemet

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    LOL & SMH

I asked the organizer if the quality of the work was unacceptable, or what the problem was and this is the reply I was given:

"it's about the breasts looking naked...which we understand in some countries doesn't have the same connotation at here... but we can't take that chance with our audience... if the artist says that it is the pattern or folds in a garment... then I vote that we accept it... the quality is fine... as are the colors... which I love... and I love the bold strokes..."

CAN YOU IMAGINE? YES PEOPLE, THIS IS THE CITY I LIVE IN, OF COURSE THE AUDIENCE ITSELF IS PREDOMINATELY LACKING MELANIN, (I'M GOING TO STOP CALLING THEM WHITE, CUZ THEY AREN'T WHITE, THEY ARE NOT SUPERIOR THEY ARE LACKING SOMETHING)

SO, when I calm myself sufficiently to answer in a diplomatic way, I may suggest that they find some more diversity in their audience. Or, I consider saying that she's wearing a "garment"...

Or I make another canvas depicting the hypocrisy and keep that for later.

Oh decisions, decision...

8. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    Phynx, I saw where at Youtube, this artist painted a beautiful picture and she let the viewers see the picture come into it's being on high speed. If you exposed your art somehow on Youtube, I think that would also do you some good.

Here is the artist I am telling you about, check it out! Excellent...

Astrologer4U

9. phynxofkemet

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    Thank you

For the suggestion.

My mind has been trippin on the organizer's comments. I mean truly, to have a problem with breasts is to me so misogynist, and I don't want to sell out, but my art makes more of an impact when it's shown.... So often in the past I've walked away from opportunities because there was a ring around the portal that I considered prejudice. The thing is, I've held myself back from enjoying the rewards I could have earned by leaning on my own strength to get through the unpleasant feelings.

I realize that I get to choose how I feel, and how I react to those feelings. It does me no good to choose to be offended and fight a battle from a position of no power/influence. My father has been trying to teach me to get to that place first, and then use my position to make change. I think it's time to listen to my elder's wisdome and breakthrough the barriers.

I will put something together though for YouTube, its a really good idea and I thank you for the suggestion, and positive upliftment in my life.

I love watching her paint, this artist is as her music sings true "beautiful". I could feel her in this work, amazing! I can learn a lot too from watching this video, she's so skilled! Thanks Sister A4U

:luvv:

10. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    Yes of course, we will always run into those who don't like what we are about. However, for every one person who turns you down, there are two more who will accept and embrace you.

I know, rejection is tuff but rejection is not the end. Art means different things to different people, you just have to seek out those who can see the positive meaning of your art. In fact, I saw your work before and it is really good. In fact, I would be interested in buying something from you. I must look at your work again.

Yes of course, you should listen to your father, he really is telling you the right thing.

A lot of people get exposure from Youtube, I really think using all of your internet resources is the best way to start if you want immediate exposure.

I knew you would like that video, I felt the same way while I was watching it. The sister really out did herself having that music play in the background while painting that piece. I learned a lot from her as well. I am not into the paint though, still using pencils but she made me want to move off into chalk, which I am looking very much so forward to.

There are other artist at youtube I think you would find interesting. Lot's of competition out there, but then again phynx, you can handle competition :roll:

Edited addition:
    In case you want to check Ladessa out more in depth, just to get some ideas... here is the link to more of her youtube videos. With as much as you write, plus you are an artist. I am sure you could really come up with a great idea for featuring yourself, as well as your art, at youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=ladessa+sullivan&aq=0&oq=ladessa+sull

Astrologer4U