Black People : Can You Swim?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by medusanegrita, May 15, 2010.

?

Can You Swim?

1. No, not at all. Will sink like a boulder.

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No, but I can float.

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Beginner - float, dog paddle, movement above water.

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Intermediate Swimmer - can do some strokes, tread water

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  5. Advanced Swimmer

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    I hear often that black people can't swim, don't want to swim, and often scared of water so they never learn how.

Black women dont' want to swim because it might mess up their hurr...

So can you swim? Please answer the poll and comment as you wish.

I love swimming and it is my favorite form of exercise and sport. I will swim whenever and wherever, even if I feel too tired to do any other exercise.

I am an intermediate swimmer, self taught. I can float, do regular breastroke, swim backward, tread water, and dive in the deep end and come back up.

I can not dive in shallow water, and I when I lost something in the pool and it hit the bottom, I wasn't able to go get it because I can't swim underwater.

I thinking/hoping I can become a lifeguard, but from the lifeguards I have talked too I pretty sure I can't pass the test yet. But I never checked into that directly.

2. bientempo

bientempo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
  3. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I am an intermediate swimmer. My family and I just went swimming yesterday afternoon. We live about 10 minutes from a nice lake and spend a lot of time there. We have a boat and a jet ski. During the summer months, we go to the lake about twice per week. We pull the kids around the lake on a tube then we usually go to the middle of the lake or some remote spot on the lake to jump out and swim.

I constantly try to get my brothers and my uncle to go out with us, but they refuse to go. They will meet us at the shore line so we can grill or fish, but they will not get on that boat. I have a good friend of mine who I invited his son and he out. He is a great bank fisherman, but had never fished from a boat. We fished for a while then my children asked if we could go tubing. The fish weren't bitting so we did. I pulled my children around for a while then asked if he wanted to go. (I figured if he saw how much fun my children were having he would be encourged to do it) He flatly refused. I tried twisting his arm, tried everything I could think of. I then asked his son who was a BIG High School football player. He was terrified at the thought. Somehow, my twelve year old used a little phsycology to get him to try it. I figured he would be a bit scared at first but would get comfortable as time went on. He was TERRIFIED the entire time. I started off very slow and GRADUALLY increased speed. After only about 5 minutes, he looked as though he was about to have a heart attack. I decided to end it because he just wasn't getting any more comfortable. (The tube is very large and very stable. It has a bottom so the rider sits in the tube and does not get submerse into the water.) So, I am not sure what the deal is, but I have not had very good luck sharing my love of boating and the water other Black people.

4. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    In NYC swimming was required partof gym in all High Schools.

They stopped that in the early 60s, but there are plenty of city pools all over, and the beaches as well.

We need as young boys to be taught, but most young Black girls teach themselves.

It's fun, the best exercise, but also a survival skill like rope climbing, hunting, fishing and gardening.

5. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I never thought of myself as unusual for my love of the ocean and water. But I’m part fish in a way of speaking. I have always been attracted to the sea. Perhaps it’s some kind of past life thing. My brother and I thought ourselves to swim at P.S. 45 in upper Manhattan, when I was 10 years old. I first could swim underwater across the width of the pool two times before coming up for air. Tree years later I started scuba diving (1965) at the boys club, in Flatbush. In high school I was the only black person in the swim team, but only for one year. I did not feel welcomed among my teammates.

In early 69’ I move to Puerto Rico and spent all my time cutting school. I learned to spear fish among professional spear fishermen, at the end I could free dive to 90feet deep and stay at the bottom for a minute, I was seventeen. That summer I tried to beat the draft by joining the navy and become an UDT member. But they would not have me for dropping out of high school.

In short my brother and I love the sea, I even gained a deep sea professional diving certification at coastal school of diving, Alameda, Ca. My brother is a master swim instructor in San Francisco and has done the escape Alcatraz swim every year, for the last 15 years. Please forgive my pride!

AXE!

6. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    I have been swimming since I was four and I love water and I know that water loves me.

these days I study the dolphin.....

7. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    I can't swim but I'll be taking lessons very soon.

is there an article on Dominicans not being able to swim?

8. bientempo

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
    not that I know of?? lol we like to wade. we all go to the beach but few swim. seldom see anyone in a place they cant walk to, unless in a small fishing boat or a yola to Puerto Rico. The sharks in the mona passage love us.

9. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    When I was younger I could swim, not all that great but could. I tried a few years ago and I could not do it. Although when I was younger I had a higher fat ratio so I guess my floatability due to fatness has left me in my advanced years.

I never tried to swim again and probably will not try to again... unless there comes a real need that I have to take up swimming.

10. bientempo

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
    At that point might be to late. was never a believer in sink or swim.:toast: