Black People : Can You Name a Fact that is NOT Based on Opinion? If so, please post it in this thread - Thanks!

The only real fact that I know of as it relates to you my Sister Destee, which I don't have to be there to prove it to you is this; "If you are reading this, you're still breathing. Now some other people wrote some stuff that I can rip up but I won't. Lilpea said he's a man...where did he get that from? Somebody said that death is a fact...where did they get that from? I actually sort of dare someone to prove death to me because to prove death means that you'd have to first define life. The world is not round....I don't know where that came from either. And as I stated in another thread, even if you took all the facts, measured them for yourself and all else, you would still form an opinion of the facts based on the facts as presented.

Okay ... i shared my definition ... there is no substantive difference between a fact and an opinion.

They are essentially one and the same, varying only in one's mind, depending on how much of it they believe.

I don't want to necessarily be right on this, as it upsets the whole apple cart, but the truth is the truth.
I'd like to be proven wrong, so I asked for examples that might do just that ... prove my thinking wrong.

I understand what you mean Destee but I disagree. A fact is something that is definitely 100% true, from the dictionary "A thing that is indisputably the case". Examples of facts (refering to me personally) are "I am a blackman", "I was born in England", "My parents were born in the Carribbean"etc, other good examples in this thread have been given such as "the sky is blue" and "2 + 2 = 4".

I think what you mean is many people state their opinion and call it a fact. For instance an American once told me that its a fact that American Football is the greatest sport in the world. Obviously he loves NFL but that is simply his opinion and there is nothing factual about it. Other examples of opinions stated as fact are "God is real", "(insert name of country) is the greatest country in the world" and the old time classic "there is no racism anymore, blacks are better off than whites now!!"

I understand what you mean Destee but I disagree. A fact is something that is definitely 100% true, from the dictionary "A thing that is indisputably the case". Examples of facts (refering to me personally) are "I am a blackman", "I was born in England", "My parents were born in the Carribbean"etc, other good examples in this thread have been given such as "the sky is blue" and "2 + 2 = 4".

I think what you mean is many people state their opinion and call it a fact. For instance an American once told me that its a fact that American Football is the greatest sport in the world. Obviously he loves NFL but that is simply his opinion and there is nothing factual about it. Other examples of opinions stated as fact are "God is real", "(insert name of country) is the greatest country in the world" and the old time classic "there is no racism anymore, blacks are better off than whites now!!"
or columbus discovered america... which is definitely far from fact, but people keep on saying he discovered it.

Peace all,

I wanted to comment on the example given about a day being from sunrise to sunset and the rebuttal. Just sharing my thoughts inspired by the example.

When we say the word "day," we need to be sure that both the sender and receiver of the information agree on the definition of the word "day"... once that agreement has been made, then the description about what a day is can be determined as fact or not.

Granted you do not know if anyone is experiencing what you are experiencing exactly, but when I point at a thing and tell you this is a "bottle" for the sake of communication you will agree even if you call it something else. That way any time you hear me say "bottle," you will call up the image of the thing I pointed to, i don't know if you see the bottle as i do, but when i say bottle, you know the thing i am referring to. This is how we all learn language no?

Back to the example. If day is defined as from sunrise to sunset, and this is what has been agreed upon for the English language to represent the actual perceivable event of the sun rising and setting, then it is a fact that a "day" is sunrise till sunset.If someone come along and says a day is 598948539 years, then clearly he is not using the word to refer to the even that i am talking about when i say day... thus, clarification on my part would be made as to what I call day.

Math and Science use languages to communicate observable and experienced events. Without agreeing on the language used in math or science or physics, etc... there would be no way to verbally communicate mathematical principles.

Given this is written forum, words are the dominant means of communicating (aside form pics and vids), so I would say that once defintions have been decided upon, then we can go into dealing with facts. You understand this sentence due to the agreed meaning of the words (as in the English language) I am using to explain my point. To verify that you understand you can ask questions to be sure that we agree on the definition and context of my words...

This is why gestalts like periodic tables and dictionaries are created... and the efficiency of these gestalts are tested everyday in conversation and chemical experiments.

I truly hope that i delivered my message across clearly...?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back