Black People : Can You Name a Fact that is NOT Based on Opinion? If so, please post it in this thread - Thanks!

speaking of facts, how do we know the words we are typing or saying everyday are really its designation? who decided that these words are what they are? who decided that the "D" word, the "S" word and the other words that were ruled as obscenities. ??? Wow now that I think about it, we have a lot to examine if we all want to get into what are facts and what are not. lol

@ Legit-Write... you can understand what I am writing based on the agreement of what the words mean. This is how language works for the purpose of communication. Like I said in my previous post, clarification can always be made in terms of context.

Some people say poopoo is a bad word... if the context the word is used is in an obscene way, then poopoo is being USED that way. otherwise it is just another word for excrement. Words are objects/symbols that we use to communicate out experiences.

It is always based on agreement of definition for the sake of communication, the purpose of communicative language.

*** Side note: I know that there are words of power/Mantras?Heka-u that do not have definitions, but I am not discussing those...***

Peace all,

I wanted to comment on the example given about a day being from sunrise to sunset and the rebuttal. Just sharing my thoughts inspired by the example.

When we say the word "day," we need to be sure that both the sender and receiver of the information agree on the definition of the word "day"... once that agreement has been made, then the description about what a day is can be determined as fact or not.

Granted you do not know if anyone is experiencing what you are experiencing exactly, but when I point at a thing and tell you this is a "bottle" for the sake of communication you will agree even if you call it something else. That way any time you hear me say "bottle," you will call up the image of the thing I pointed to, i don't know if you see the bottle as i do, but when i say bottle, you know the thing i am referring to. This is how we all learn language no?

Back to the example. If day is defined as from sunrise to sunset, and this is what has been agreed upon for the English language to represent the actual perceivable event of the sun rising and setting, then it is a fact that a "day" is sunrise till sunset. If someone come along and says a day is 598948539 years, then clearly he is not using the word to refer to the even that i am talking about when i say day... thus, clarification on my part would be made as to what I call day.

Math and Science use languages to communicate observable and experienced events. Without agreeing on the language used in math or science or physics, etc... there would be no way to verbally communicate mathematical principles.

Given this is written forum, words are the dominant means of communicating (aside form pics and vids), so I would say that once defintions have been decided upon, then we can go into dealing with facts. You understand this sentence due to the agreed meaning of the words (as in the English language) I am using to explain my point. To verify that you understand you can ask questions to be sure that we agree on the definition and context of my words...

This is why gestalts like periodic tables and dictionaries are created... and the efficiency of these gestalts are tested everyday in conversation and chemical experiments.

I truly hope that i delivered my message across clearly...?

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......Welcome back Rokksteady, its good to read you again:

What you've clearly described, if implemented in daily conversations, would certainly eliminate mis-communication between individuals. To agree upon word definitions before going into dialogue would tend to solve that problem.

Should such agreement be expected to occur, or does its failure to occur create the terrible disagreements we experience, as this thread provides in evidence of differentiated opinions about a thing. One would think the former over the latter; but the discipline required to reach agreement before discourse seems to be cumbersome, and a slight degree of programming is involved. Whereas spontaneous conversation appears to be a bit more human in nature, especially when compared to the required discipline of Math and Science.

Outside of using dictionaries(gestalts), how would it be humanly possible to have all agree on word definitions before deeper or spontaneous communication happens?

Peace In,

Well... lol...

Considering the poor state of communication and its disastrous results, it is vitally important that we get down to the nitty gritty of fixing communication.

The prob I have come to understand in my short time as me, is that people assume too much for one, two, we are not really educated on how and WHY words are chosen to represent their respective realities (definitely not the norm in the school systems, if at all), three most of us do not know or even understand that there is a difference between the subjective use of a word and the objective use of a word.

I think the very core of western society's over emphasis on the individual, and the general selfishness and lack of holistic thinking bred in western mentality plays a major role into why we tend to speak more subjectively than objectively in the wild west.Self importance is a nasty disease fu real... the ego has no place in honest conversation... especially given that a conversation involves two parties (or one party taking on two different roles), one being the sender and the other being the receiver... "then exchange clothes, as we go"

It seems hard because of where we are currently standing, but educate just one generation better on the use and purpose of language and natural conversation will flow from those premises as opposed to the lack of understanding of language currently among the masses. The effort falls more so on us... my generation (I am 26) and before that are still around who have to detox the old way of thinking and yes reprogram our psyches...

Also, and I'm sorry I forgot to mention this before, English is so left brained it retards and prolongs communication unnecessarily. Not enough balance. I think this is the reason for the heavy use of slang as well(especially ala Hip-Hop culture, birthed from the minds of historically right brained people).

English is the only language i can speak fluently... so i make it a point of duty to use it well.

And I also try to speak in a manner appropriate to the setting and audience. I am sure if you saw me gettin it in with some of my peers, you would not recognize me.

Intent and clarity of the message trying to be delivered are the two most important aspects of communication, and conversation is most definitely and art form...

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......Well said Rokksteady, well said indeed. On the forward thinking solutions you've outlined toward fixing combative back and forth discourse, we touch and agree.

Peace In,

Well... lol...

Considering the poor state of communication and its disastrous results, it is vitally important that we get down to the nitty gritty of fixing communication.

The prob I have come to understand in my short time as me, is that people assume too much for one, two, we are not really educated on how and WHY words are chosen to represent their respective realities (definitely not the norm in the school systems, if at all), three most of us do not know or even understand that there is a difference between the subjective use of a word and the objective use of a word.

I think the very core of western society's over emphasis on the individual, and the general selfishness and lack of holistic thinking bred in western mentality plays a major role into why we tend to speak more subjectively than objectively in the wild west.Self importance is a nasty disease fu real... the ego has no place in honest conversation... especially given that a conversation involves two parties (or one party taking on two different roles), one being the sender and the other being the receiver... "then exchange clothes, as we go"

It seems hard because of where we are currently standing, but educate just one generation better on the use and purpose of language and natural conversation will flow from those premises as opposed to the lack of understanding of language currently among the masses. The effort falls more so on us... my generation (I am 26) and before that are still around who have to detox the old way of thinking and yes reprogram our psyches...

Also, and I'm sorry I forgot to mention this before, English is so left brained it retards and prolongs communication unnecessarily. Not enough balance. I think this is the reason for the heavy use of slang as well(especially ala Hip-Hop culture, birthed from the minds of historically right brained people).

English is the only language i can speak fluently... so i make it a point of duty to use it well.

And I also try to speak in a manner appropriate to the setting and audience. I am sure if you saw me gettin it in with some of my peers, you would not recognize me.

Intent and clarity of the message trying to be delivered are the two most important aspects of communication, and conversation is most definitely and art form...

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back