Black People : Can You Name a Fact that is NOT Based on Opinion? If so, please post it in this thread - Thanks!

Chevron Dove

May 7, 2009
Peace and Blessings Family,

Can you name a fact that is NOT based on opinion? If so, please do so below.

I'd like to better understand what exactly a fact is ... and having these examples will help toward that end.

Thanks a Bunch!

:heart:

Destee
*The earth moves-
*The moon is illuminated-
*The moon has phases-
*The planet Saturn has rings

*In 2006, I think it was that date, the tomb of Herod-the-great was excavated-
*The Roman Empire was a system that formed about 2000 years ago-
*The Roman Coliseum was constructed around AD 80-
*The Roman Coliseum still stands today-
*There were books written then and now that confirm gladiatorial fights and until I get the names of the authors, this could be considered AN OPINION or an accepted fact! I could just site wikipedia, and then it would be backed up by references.
*Masada occurred in which many Pharsaic Jews became persecuted

*We just had a presidential election in 2008
*We live in an age where we have cars, trucks, buses, tranes, airplanes
*the death process is still a reality

*most dogs bark

Chevron Dove

May 7, 2009
*i can swim [fact]
*I might need to swim much more if I want to tone better [maybe a fact, maybe opinion?]
*9 months is the normal amount of time it takes in pregnancy to have a baby for humans
*21 days is the gestation period for chickens to hatch
*dormancy is definite for humans [we have to sleep]

*racism exist

Ankhur

Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns

I'd like to better understand what exactly a fact is ... and having these examples will help toward that end.

Thanks a Bunch!

Destee
Is this a trick question?

MsInterpret

Apr 21, 2007
Washington

Thanks a Bunch!

Destee
Fact...The world is round
Fact...I'm 5'6
Fact...I have a daughter

cherryblossom

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
Okay Yall ... :lol: ... i'm gonna need you to name facts that folk might actually debate ... :look: ... :lol:

This is getting deeper than i thot ... (insert pulling hair out smilie) ... my mind thinks deep ... and it just went over a cliff ... :lol:

i miss my mind ... :bye:

I'm listening and will respond ... i don't want to make this more confuzzled than it has to be ... so i'm gonna think before responding ... :thinking:

Love You! :kiss:

Destee
If it's truly a "fact" and not "opinion," how "debatable" will it be?

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Okay Yall ... :lol: ... i'm gonna need you to name facts that folk might actually debate ... :look: ... :lol:

This is getting deeper than i thot ... (insert pulling hair out smilie) ... my mind thinks deep ... and it just went over a cliff ... :lol:

i miss my mind ... :bye:

I'm listening and will respond ... i don't want to make this more confuzzled than it has to be ... so i'm gonna think before responding ... :thinking:

Love You! :kiss:

Destee
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......Please slow down.

Peace In,

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Okay Family ... since posting this thread last year, and thinking on this more, i'm convinced ... there is no such thing as a fact.

I'm not sure why that word was even created, except to more easily convince us that what is being presented is truth.

So a person prefaces their comment with ... this is a fact ... as if that alone adds validity to what they are saying.

It's been proven time and time again, that what was presented as fact ... turned out to be not true.

For example ... it was fact for a very long time ... to some ... that the earth was flat.

That stopped being a fact, when newer opinion / evidence was presented that convinced folk otherwise.

Even in a court of law ... the so called facts are that ... because someone believes the opinion being presented.

Usually ... in the case of a jury ... if 12 people believe the evidence ... then the evidence becomes fact.

But ultimately it's still only the opinion of the 12 jurors ... not fact at all ... just opinion.

Even so called expert opinion ... often taken as fact ... is presented as opinion.

I've come to the conclusion that a person can claim anything to be a fact ... if they believe that's what it is.

Making facts no more than glorified opinions.

Destee

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
Okay Family ... since posting this thread last year, and thinking on this more, i'm convinced ... there is no such thing as a fact.

I'm not sure why that word was even created, except to more easily convince us that what is being presented is truth.

So a person prefaces their comment with ... this is a fact ... as if that alone adds validity to what they are saying.

It's been proven time and time again, that what was presented as fact ... turned out to be not true.

For example ... it was fact for a very long time ... to some ... that the earth was flat.

That stopped being a fact, when newer opinion / evidence was presented that convinced folk otherwise.

Even in a court of law ... the so called facts are that ... because someone believes the opinion being presented.

Usually ... in the case of a jury ... if 12 people believe the evidence ... then the evidence becomes fact.

But ultimately it's still only the opinion of the 12 jurors ... not fact at all ... just opinion.

Even so called expert opinion ... often taken as fact ... is presented as opinion.

I've come to the conclusion that a person can claim anything to be a fact ... if they believe that's what it is.

Making facts no more than glorified opinions.

Destee

I will not argue the point with you on this one because I have come to a similar, if not identical, conclusion, as you stated, "if they believe that's what it is". Which is why, since you posted this thread, I have tried not to insist folks "show and prove" FACTS, while at the same time it makes things easier for me to ignore such demands to provide "evidence" and this has saved me alot of wated time arguing with or against such demands.

I have to constantly remind myself this is a discussion forum in which there is no requirement to adhere to scientific method or legalistic proof but keeping as paramount the matter of RESPECT whether I agree or disagree with the perspective/opinion of others.

Peace and Thank You for providing US with a Home in which to engage in such interactions.

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
I will not argue the point with you on this one because I have come to a similar, if not identical, conclusion, as you stated, "if they believe that's what it is". Which is why, since you posted this thread, I have tried not to insist folks "show and prove" FACTS, while at the same time it makes things easier for me to ignore such demands to provide "evidence" and this has saved me alot of wated time arguing with or against such demands.

I have to constantly remind myself this is a discussion forum in which there is no requirement to adhere to scientific method or legalistic proof but keeping as paramount the matter of RESPECT whether I agree or disagree with the perspective/opinion of others.

Peace and Thank You for providing US with a Home in which to engage in such interactions.

Thanks Brother O ... i'm open to correction ... for i know a whole lot less than most ... and willingly admit it.

Oftentimes, when folk are presenting "facts" ... it's just the stuff that lends credence to their position.

Usually ... there is a plethora of "facts" contradicting their "facts" ... but they don't usually present that.

Even then ... the "facts" ... are rarely personally witnessed events ... but their belief in the bearer of the facts.

We've been so hoodwinked, bamboozled, and led astray ... i think it's time out for accepting facts as facts without scrutiny.

We're so gullible it seems ... all one has to do is say it ... get 15 other people saying the same ... and it's a fact!

Aint witnessed nuth'n ... don't know if any of what is shared even exists ... but we'll argue it as if we saw it with our own eyes.

Amazing to me.

Love You ... and thanks for sticking with me all these years ... i know it aint been easy ... :love:

Much Much Love and Peace! :grouphug:

Destee

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

sekou kasimu wrote on willa's profile.
What exactly is your ideology?!
I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.