Black People : Can You Make The Connections?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by happy69, Apr 16, 2004.

1. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    http://www.africana.com/articles/daily/mu20040414tipdrill.asp

Black News, Entertainment, Style and Culture - HuffPost Black Voices

Get Black entertainment and politics news, money and beauty advice, and discuss the issues that matter most to the African American community.
    huffingtonpost.com

Which is the greater good? Spellman ladies were right in my own opinion. This connects to "Does Race Matter in Rape" thread in the women's section; and how I had stated that sometimes We put historical racial perspectives (past and present); on how We deal with those who "hurt" Us.
    So, because Nelly was there for a wonderful and great and needed reason; should the women have made that paramount over the disgusting, degrading images that He portray of black women-- which I suggest hurts the majority of Us even more?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I also agree, and it is time that positive minded blacks took a stand against these images. In fact it has been about 10 years since I have followed rap or music videos, because I didn't like the images being shown. Sadly though I applaud the message sent by the ladies of Spellman, I doubt thier protest will make a difference. With the rap buying audience being 90% white, it is no coincidence that more positive hip hop like Public Enemy, Dead Prez, Mos Def, Common, KRS-1, etc. doesn't sell that well.