Black Spirituality Religion : Can You Get To Heaven Without $$ Tithing?

you're right Destee tithing is the church's hot topic (disregarding other more serious matters of life), but ask any of them where Jesus specifically tells the church to tithe. He doesn't.

and God does not say that he would barr one from heaven for not tithing.
how sick is the church doctrine becoming.

wow ... thank yall for participating in this discussion with me.

What do you think should be the focus of the church ... the topic that should replace "giving your money to the church?" ... the one(s) that are most important?

I think lying and stealing. I think they both speak to the core of a person, requiring them to be true and honest with themselves ... so they can then be true and honest to God and others. Honesty is also the foundation on which most all other things stand, if they are done properly. But of course, I aint no preacher ... so don't mind me. :)

:heart:

Destee

tithing is an act of discipline not a means to getting into heaven. Tithing also involves more than just money but 10% of everything. It is a means to support the church in which you worship. In the Old Testament, the parishoners of such synagogues would bring 1/10th of their grain and wheat to the storehouse which was the place where the priest lived. This was for emergencies as well as helping in sustaining the worko fht echurch. One thing we must be careful of. Tithes are not paid to a pastor but the to continuing work of the church. Also if anyone wanted to pay tithes anf offerings then they must understand that tithed is the 1/10 that constitues discipline whereas offerings is anything obove and beyond tithes, which makes it going above and beyond. Example: If you make $300 a week before taexs and give $40 in the offering plate, then $30 is tithes and $10 is offering.

Hey J'hiah, actually Jesus speaks highly of tithing. As he addresses the Pahrisees he reminds them how they are only tithing in certain areas of their life. His response to them was simply telling them that why tithe in some areas and not all areas. Now He is not directly telling them to tithe only money but He is telling them to tithe in all areas of our lives...

Matthew 23 (KJV)
23 "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law: judgment, mercy, and faith. These ought ye to have done and not to leave the other undone.
24 Ye blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!

Matthew 23:23-24 (New Iving Translation)
23"How terrible it will be for you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest part of your income,[5] but you ignore the important things of the law--justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but you should not leave undone the more important things. 24Blind guides! You strain your water so you won't accidentally swallow a gnat; then you swallow a camel!

Just making clear that Jesus did speak of tithing but not in the formal manner which many would like to use it to abuse the congregation into paying money. Tithing is a discipline and one should not be guilted into it. Jesus was making clear to the Pharrisees that they were so strict and critical of everyone else and yet they could not see that they too are not perfect.

Thanks Dnommo for joining in :)

I'm going to take these words from your biblical quote:

... and have omitted the weightier matters of the law: judgment, mercy, and faith ...

which seems to provide evidence that all tithing is not counted the same. Yet, at most every single gathering of believers (and non believers) ... the opportunity to give money is provided by those who are leading the service. As though it is the "weightier matter."

It seems to be just a fact of "church life," one that is not going to change or be questioned to any great degree, at least, not by those who are doing the giving. To question "giving" to your church, could almost appear blasphemous (I think). When folk live by faith, it makes it easier for those providing the "spiritual food" to take advantage of them.

I kinda smiled Dnommo when I read your "$300 a week before taxes" ... do I tithe on the before or after taxes amount ... I remember "discussing that with God" ... :)

Another issue, that money brings into the church is "who gave the most this week or this month or on the building fund." Those folk are usually lifted up and above the rest of the congregation ... usually appointed to positions of leadership ... as though one can "buy" their spot in heaven. Woe unto the poor folk.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back