Black Relationships : Can you find romance online?

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by NNQueen, Mar 17, 2004.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Many of us have either heard stories or experienced it. People have found romantic relationships online. Yes, including Black people.

Research has been done and according to one such study, they contend that the oldest ritual in the world is the courtship of man and woman. In researching some of the largest websites catering to Black people (~35,000 members), even though "demographically speaking, the majority of members in the dataset were male, compared to the millions of online users on this popular service, there was a higher percentage of females in the Black section than were present on average in more than a 1000 non-Black oriented areas surveyed."

The study goes on to point out that "love can be found in cyberspace. No doubt that computers once were considered "toys for the boys" but that has been rapidly changing year by year." "Going online to a place where you can chat with anyone you want to in private or public areas is a big draw for both sexes. You don't have to use your real names and no one knows exactly where you live."

Most interesting I found reported in the study was that "Black women who meet men online for the first time have married them in real life." Wow! But it goes on to say that, "It cuts both ways. Men like being there too and they become rapidly bored if only there were men in the chat channels.

So I guess as the old saying goes, "don't knock it until you try it!" :)

Anyone have an experience like this?

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

Source: http://www.blacksoftware.com/html/rituals.html

2. LibertyLady

LibertyLady Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker...
    Ratings:
    +9
    verry good question.. sister...

one of my old groupmembers found her Love .....Online...
    and is still with him...

i guess it work for some and for some not...
    only god brings love to people and makes it happen...
    how
    in manny ways.. ways

i will come back another time to respond more on this...

i was online to long now and my time is up now....

Love libertylady:heart:

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I can say with great certainty that it is possible to find love on-line. However, it isn't as likely to have a relationship on-line. In otherwords there are a lot of nice people on the internet (many of them are on this website). :wink: However, to have a successful relationship, people need to meet and get to know each other in person. Although the possibility for deceit is greater through the internet, there is a chance of deception in any type of social setting (school, work, church, clubs, etc.) Also one can't find true love without risks, so why not take a chance?

4. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I personally know of a few people who have met on-line, developed an off line relationship and have married. My best friend is currently involved with a really decent man that she met on-line. They have been a couple for a year off-line and it looks like things will become permanent soon.

I know I have met a lot of really good friends on-line, I havent exactly looked for an on-line relationship that would be one that is considered "more than friends". My experience has been that men on-line rush just as much as men offline. I like taking my time to get to know someone and any time I feel rushed I back off.

I wouldn't knock it though...I'll just let love find me where ever it may.

5. SOULSTAR

SOULSTAR Active Member MEMBER

Ba Film and media @ uni
    Ratings:
    +0
    You sure Can!...

I must say it is possible to find love online and it is common.
    Even if you dont find love you will definately meet some trully wonderfull people like i have!..

This thing called the World Wide Web is truly amazing, Being British born Nigerian i tend to frequent alot of Nigerian sites and i have met so many nice people of Nigerian desent here in London and in Nigeria!..
    And when i go to Nigeria for holidays it is always fun meeting these people you have been talking on the net for god knows how long...it can be very exciting!!....

It's so funny cos you never know who your are talking to and i have ended up meeting alot of Nigerian people whom we have friends or friends of friends in common....
    And with this assurance that the sites i go to are relatively safe, i can say one can find love and true good friends for life from the internet!...

One of my closest friend to date i met on the internet 3yrs ago and our friendship has gone from strenght to strenght and i even forget that i met him on the internet at all!, i also have a few more friends like this where we have become so close and it feels natural i have forgotton i met them on the Net..!...lol..:)

Just remember be Safe because the net is also filled with loads of weirdos like we all know...lol..

One....xxxx

6. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I really don't know if I could find love online. I mean, one thing that I've realized is the more you look for love, the more it tends to hide. At least for me. I would think that if I tried to hook-up online it probably wouldn't work out. I never tried it but I have my doubts as far as myself is concerned. I tend to have more luck finding someone by chance. Like running into someone or hooking up with someone I've known for a little while. Just my opinion. Maybe others have better luck with different ways of meeting people, I just don't think this would be mine.

7. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    In answer to this question, a very resounding yes :heart:

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    YESSSSSSSSSSSS
    you can fine your true mate & love on line i know many who have
    it's true you would have to meet feel the other person and know
    anytime one step out and into a new relationship is a chance and
    sometime their are many nice sounding people on the net yet are
    very deep and seeking of a devil we have all kind on the net these
    day's but in some case true love is a click away and a resounding one too
    I will say yes you can fine happiness from your PC and a beautiful relationship
    more blacks are connecting then any other now days women finding soulmates
    men search is over from a computer it's no different then an blind date which
    many still go on at lease from the computer you talk more feel each other out
    even have a few chat over the phone before personally meeting it's where you
    want to go with it or feel about it so many will never try it but why knock it !
    all about heart & romantic feelings before loving ....peace

9. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    I say you can for sure!! I dont believe in what they call "online dating" where you are in a relationship with someone you never seen, but for meeting people and breaking the ice, the net is great.

I have never been able to make connections with black women till I joined the online world a year ago. You can discuss with anyone and cant see each other. There is no shyness or social phobia on line. I have made friends with many women message boards and talk to some of them outside those message boards. One I speak to often on the phone and we have met and hung out a few times. That is a relationship that has SERIOUS potential too.

You cannot get to know anyone for real on the internet, but it is a superior meeting place, and a great place where people give you free advice on real world situations in relationships.

MrBlak

10. sistahisis

sistahisis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    there is romance wherever you are meant to find it. i met my boyfriend online 5 years ago. neither one of us were looking for someone else, but we still ended up finding each other. my suggestion: don't go looking for someone. you'll meet each other when the time is right.