Black People : Can you call the game even?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by workingwhiteman, Oct 31, 2013.

1. SouthsideIrish

SouthsideIrish Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +348
    Destee and I had a short conversation in another thread and it was suggested as new thread material

The background

Basically I flat out said I had more integrity then most of her members.
    She of course called me out on that.
    I mentioned that I refereed a basketball game...against my own kids when a referee didn't show up for the game. My best player fouled out, and that, combined with a disportionate amount of free throws for the other team was the difference in the game.

Now she was correct to call me out on that post alone. I was walking out the door and was just trying to get a thought done.

I have since added my more complete thoughts on this..but again...new thread here.

First question

I asked the question if the members here were to ref a game between black kids and white kids...could/would you guys call the game evenly.

Second question

If destee.com members were in a position of hiring...would race become a bigger qualification then what the worker can bring to the table(would the best person always get the job)

I know where I am at on these questions...the best team will win...the best person will be hired...period..end of story. And my position of higher integrity still stands over the majority of members here.

Now to explain why my thoughts are what they are.

There is a "us against them" undertone(sometimes an overtone) here...why? well its a pro African American website. I wouldn't expect any less if I was asking the same questions at a "pro white" website. I expanded further when I attempted to make this thread via mobile..but really I just don't think its rocket science.

Destee and I also touched bases on politics.. I mentioned that in 08 Obama got 96% of the black vote. She countered by asking what percentage did former white presidents garner of the white vote...Not to sure what to do with that since they had no other race to vote for.....perhaps that was the point.

Here is what I do know. In 08 Obama got 43% of the white vote..That is accually the highest amount of support a Democrat has gotten from white America since 1976.

There is absolutely zero support that would show that Obama lost any votes by whites because of his color.

I could post stats...but no need to clutter.
    Here is the link.
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15297.html

Here is the link.

2. SouthsideIrish

United States
    Ratings:
    +348
    No replies.

Interesting.

3. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399

To me, this part of the post has a subtle implication that either you have more integrity than most Black people or you're saying that on average White people have more integrity than Black people. It's rightly highlighted that in both elections, the majrotiy of White people did not vote for Obama. However, their position is made to appear more thoughtful and exclude any notions of race for some reason. Why is that?

If Black people are so thoughtless how come they didn't fall in line behind Colin Powell, Condelezza Rice, Herman Caine, Alan West, Cynthia McKinney and others? I'm not saying that being Black hurt Obama, but how come his policies or the political/policy positions Blacks typically have now and historically don't get factored into this equation? What about all the Black thinkers (writers, journalist, leadership, etc) that criticize Obama? What about the everyday people that do, especially on this forum?

Here's a link that describes how Blacks have been voting historically:
    http://www.factcheck.org/2008/04/blacks-and-the-democratic-party/

What Black presidential candidate were those Black voters supporting (88%) in 2004?
    Hmm, what might have been going on in 1964? That's a pretty tall blue bar. Was anyone Black running as a democrat for president in 1964?

Random food for thought: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-group_homogeneity

Side note: I could've easily showed some examples of White people not voting for Obama because he was Black and proved the “absoutely zero support” statement false but that seemed like the easy way out.

4. SouthsideIrish

United States
    Ratings:
    +348

5. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    You didn't read the link about historic voting of Blacks and the Democratic party at all.

6. SouthsideIrish

United States
    Ratings:
    +348

7. SouthsideIrish

United States
    Ratings:
    +348
    I am addressing one piece at a time.

8. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Don't be in a hurry to. Take your time to at least look at what I've posted and consider replying to it in a coherent way when you're not on a mobile.

9. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    *96% of Black voters who participated in that election

That's not the same as saying 96% of Blacks voted for Obama.

In 2004, 88% of the Black votes that participated supported a White candidate. How come now the only reason they could've possibly decided to support Obama was because race was suddenly more important than anything else?

This doesn't make sense.

10. SouthsideIrish

United States
    Ratings:
    +348
    The 1964 election had civil rights as an issue. Blacks supporting a white candidate who represents them means little IMO.
    Now 2004, is a great example. So great..that at this time I'd have to say it nullifies what I said in regards to blacks and politics...I will have to think or research a little more.....great point Gorrila.

As far as whites not supporting Obama because he is black...I'd like to see what you have on that....Keep in mind...2012 results mean little to me because at that point he has fd up the country so much I think first elections results are less skewed.
    I voted for him in 08...not a chance in 2012.