Black People : Can we BOYCOTT by buying Black?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Natinr, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    What would be the effect, if 75% of us
    used only;?
    1, Black owned ISPs
    2. Black owned gasoline and distibutors
    3. Black owned telephone services
    4. Black owned electricutility
    5. Blckowned gas utility and home heating oil

2. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    We would could effectively end most of the problems we are currently suffering from within a decade or so.

Maybe less.

The only significant obstacle would still be the justice system. But we could fund our own education system. You know, like Jewish folk.

3. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    :lift: :lift:
    :lift: :lift: :lift:
    Now we are talking Black power for real, this can be a solution and i hope more folks give some input

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    This has been on my mind...

In the 80s protest of apartheid South Africa student activists organized a cultural boycott.

In fact at Cals State Northridge we organized a boycott of the University foundation in 1976 after the Soweto Uprising. Instead of buying our textbooks from the student store we purchased what we could from independent Black bookstores. This boycott was assisted by the Pan African Studies department.

At UCLA this was a more difficult task but there were some African Studies and Black studies professors who also assisted us by ordering their texts through independent black bookstores. The students boycotted the ASUCLA foundation and organized students to boycott ASUCLA because of not only tis investment in corporations doing business in south africa, but also direct investment in the state of Israel. The result. Divestment of $51 million dollars in 1980 or 81 [dont remember the exact year].

The students also shut down a Board of Control meeting [the organization which allocated funding for all student government councils and programs] and from that point we organized a "Third World Coalition" which removed the zionist-funded organizations and took over student government. From that point we then started taking over student relations offices, community programming and events planning councils that were run by the university outside of student government. From that point we initiated a takeover of certain academic departments such as various laww schoola nd urban planning programs. This led to takeover of Murphy Hall [administration building] resulting in changes in the vice chancellor's office and various programs affecting affirmative action and graduate programs, which resulted in establishment of the GAO office, Gap Program, which resulted in the university developing graduate fellowship programs for minority graduate students....

Get the picture.

From there, the community programs we instituted created community service programs, and I initiated one kniown as the African Education Project, in 1981, which now conducts a Saturday School in the Wilmington Arms Project in Compton. The CPO is now part of the university structure, run by students, funded by students, all in spite of the elimination of various affirmative action programs.

So, there is nothing impossible of the idea of a cultural boycott of say, white banks, as we did 30 years ago. Take your money out of BOA, Chase, etc and bank with black owned banks such as Broadway Federal.

Change your internet service providers and find black owned companies that service your area. If you gotta go to starbucks or 7-Eleven only shop at black-owned franchises.

If that $800 tax rebate comes in the mail BUY Black. Or try to save that money and invest in a black owned corporation. Go to a black owned bank and start an IRA account.....

and on and on...

5. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    :toast: :toast: :toast: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:
    :number1: :number1: :great: :great: :great:
    Your past experience, and wisdom is of infinite value to all Black folks on this planet.
    Let us see how we can get this out to a
    broader audience, and also get some input from some of the sisters.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Im working on it

I have material written that needs to be published.

I have a podcast site. I have blog sites.

All these need financial support.

We can all start by supporting Black owned websites. Black owned podcast sites. Black owned alternative and independent media. Black owned educational insititues such as the Marcus Garvey School, and Omowale Ujamaa in Pasadena, California. Black owned bookstores such as Eso Wan.

This hurts me because in the los angeles riots of 1992 two long standing Black institutions were burned to the ground. Dotson's Market and my spiritual center, the Aquarian Bookstore. I used to have accounts at two Black owned financial institutions. Family Bank and Broadway Federal Savings.

I used to work on development issues with my aunt who was a president of the Leimert Park Village Merchant's Association. Had another aunt who worked for Marla Gibbs' Crossroads academy across the street from my aunt's art gallery in Leimert Park. Used to attend workshops and perfomred in jam sessions at the World Stage and 5th Street ****'s owned by Richard Fulton. Worked with Brian Breye who owned the Museum in Black.

Some of these no longer exist. Black people more interested in bringing in Walmart and Starbucks instead of Buying Black. Instead of Recycling Black Dollars most of us get paid and shop at white establishments. In some cases we live in areas where black enterprises don't exist except for black churches and black owned liquor stores. We don't have national Black owned food chains. We dont have national Black owned energy and petroleum companies. Even though we have thousands of black "moguls" and CEO's of white corporations. We have Black women heading some of the wealthiest major media corporations but no Black owned, national film and television distribution chains.

A few years ago jesse Jackson proposed an economic boycott against specific corporations. Some siad he tried to use leverage in another presidential bid.

If the us governemnt can impose sanctions against china, argentina and iran, we can and must impose sanctions on white corporate america.

Latinos have proven effective in this when they have days of protest where nationally they stay at home to protest immigration reform.

More of us need to do the same.

7. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I hope we all, here learn to support you.......

with our hearts, minds and dollars,
    please create a thread,
    or let us know, how we can help, by any means necesary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!