Black Spirituality Religion : Can someone tell me about Voodoo?

Voodoo is a new world word that is correctly called VODUN.

Vodun is an african religion that comes from West Africa. Benin is commonly referred to as the Vodun Capital. Benin was a part of the great classical African civilization of Dahomey. Dahomeans are known for having an extremely strong relationship with God and God's creations.

Vodun is energy. It is God. African religions are best experienced as a participant. Vodun is one religion that is even harder to study via books or movies or the internet, as most of its devotees and priesthood have consciously avoided sharing their culture with non-believers.

Vodun has many new world offshoots, primarily

-Haitian Voodoo
-New Orleans Voodoo
-Mami Wata (a straigtht from african derivative that is now practiced in the U.S.)

visit: http://mamiwata.com and talk to an authentic upright and moral vodun priest to answer you questions more directly. In fact, she has posted on this board before.

Even though I cherish Afrikan Spirituality, I can't seem to NOT approach Vodoo or Vodoun with a non-euro-christian mentality. In other words I can't shake off the concept that Vodoun is wicked. Part of my goal in learning about vodoun is to learn how to approah it from a Africentric mentality. Mental-Decolonization isn't easy my friend...

word. but understand this: most of what we think we know about Vodun was originally put into motion by non-historian, non-blacks.

during various phases of military occupation throughout the caribbean and central and south america there have been american soldiers that wrote for income what was typically exaggerated and made up stories about people of african and native american descent. these same kinds of people were responsible for white believing africans had tails for quite some time.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back