Black Spirituality Religion : Can someone tell me about Voodoo?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Pharaoh Jahil, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Im trying to get a good foundation on it and how does voodoo work with the Creator?

2. ifasehun

ifasehun Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Voodoo is a new world word that is correctly called VODUN.

Vodun is an african religion that comes from West Africa. Benin is commonly referred to as the Vodun Capital. Benin was a part of the great classical African civilization of Dahomey. Dahomeans are known for having an extremely strong relationship with God and God's creations.

Vodun is energy. It is God. African religions are best experienced as a participant. Vodun is one religion that is even harder to study via books or movies or the internet, as most of its devotees and priesthood have consciously avoided sharing their culture with non-believers.

Vodun has many new world offshoots, primarily

-Haitian Voodoo
    -New Orleans Voodoo
    -Mami Wata (a straigtht from african derivative that is now practiced in the U.S.)

visit: http://mamiwata.com and talk to an authentic upright and moral vodun priest to answer you questions more directly. In fact, she has posted on this board before.

3. Pharaoh Jahil

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanx brotha.....

4. Pharaoh Jahil

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Even though I cherish Afrikan Spirituality, I can't seem to NOT approach Vodoo or Vodoun with a non-euro-christian mentality. In other words I can't shake off the concept that Vodoun is wicked. Part of my goal in learning about vodoun is to learn how to approah it from a Africentric mentality. Mental-Decolonization isn't easy my friend...

5. ifasehun

Ratings:
    +19
    word. but understand this: most of what we think we know about Vodun was originally put into motion by non-historian, non-blacks.

during various phases of military occupation throughout the caribbean and central and south america there have been american soldiers that wrote for income what was typically exaggerated and made up stories about people of african and native american descent. these same kinds of people were responsible for white believing africans had tails for quite some time.

6. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Ifasehun

Hotep Brotha, I want to thank you for your concise history and mis-understanding of vodun.

A member on Destee, made a very ignorant remark about Vodun, and that it was, in fact spread and propugated by whites, to the slave population in the south.

Ofcourse that would have been a self-defeating campaign on the part of Massa lol... to say the least.

So thank you once again brotha, for putting out this information

7. ifasehun

Ratings:
    +19
    glad to do so. it worries me that black people continue to be led into ignorance by the ignorant.

-black preachers speaking against african religion?
    -journalists and fiction writers educating about vodun?
    -people that cant count the number of history books they have read by Black authors on one hand speaking on africans?
    -people that practice the religions of invaders trying to espouse to "black pride"

nonsense to say the least.

8. ANGELIC SOUL

ANGELIC SOUL Well-Known Member MEMBER

I gotta a job while I chase my dream
    Ratings:
    +2
    Very Good

I am glad to see a post like this, did anyone know that Voodun is also of the west africa yoruba? It can be accessed through books and such, its just a different way of practicing it. Did anyone know it is a religion?? AND that it involves the practice of magick? Casting spells?

Lady Bastet

9. AUM

AUM Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    Hotep. While I'm not an Vodun initiate, I did grow up in the "...Garden of Good and Evil" (Savanna(h), GA). From my research, Vodun in its purest form is not a RELIGION but rather a way of life. As far as the Magick and casting spells goes, that's not the ultimate GOAL of the spiritual practice. Let's not Euro-manticize the whole idea. It's not about Spooks and Hocus Pocus. It's being IN TUNE with nature and the cosmos to a degree in which you can use your divine qualities for your benefit and survival on a higher level. The rituals practiced seem "primitive" to the Euro-pee-on because they lack the capacity and the universal intellect to connect with their higher self and real-eyes what the rituals are representing on the spiritual plane. In other words, They cannot see the forest for the trees. All they see is cutting up chickens, "odd" dances set to rhythmic drum patterns or "jungle music", ceremonious respect for the ancestors or "worshipping dead people", and a lot of chanting or "mumbo-jumbo". So you can see what the effects of a CALCIFIED PINEAL GLAND can do when left up to them to tell OURSTORY in hollywood. Fact is, Black People are now more afraid of "Voodoo" than Whites. The ignorance of being AFRAID OF THE DARK(side) is what is keeping the white foot firmly on blacks back. We are afraid of our own ancient spirituality which would :flamet: DARKNESS of ignorance. Whites have been successful at keeping our spirits bound to the flesh by DEMONIZING our ancient spiritual practices and beliefs. Got us scared of some fake Devil under the ground and in love with the Devil on top of the ground! And that devil is studying and practicing OUR stuff whether it be yoruba, santeria, voodoo, hoodoo, obeah, Wicca, Yoga etc. Dressing up in all BLACK (I guess God "forgot" to melanize these fools) trying to be "in tune"... I'll stop there. Hope some of you awoke during this message. Ase.

10. ANGELIC SOUL

ANGELIC SOUL Well-Known Member MEMBER

I gotta a job while I chase my dream
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok

QUOTE: "From my research, Vodun in its purest form is not a RELIGION but rather a way of life. As far as the Magick and casting spells goes, that's not the ultimate GOAL of the spiritual practice. Let's not Euro-manticize the whole idea. It's not about Spooks and Hocus Pocus. It's being IN TUNE with nature and the cosmos to a degree in which you can use your divine qualities for your benefit and survival on a higher level."

Ok maybe not a religion in the sense of the "white man" but it is practiced daily and with spiritual intent. No magick is not the ULTIMATE goal, but magick is not the ULTIMATE goal of ANY earth based religion. It is however a potent "flavoring" so to speak. It gives the spiritual sense of being in control of our own destinies. As far as the "hollywood" version, spooks and hocus pocus. I never thought that voodun was anything like that. I have a friend who practices it and she looks upon like her "religion", her way of expressing her truest sense of self.

Most Earth based religions purpose's are just what you stated in your last sentence. Good post, and yes the white man doesn't seem to have a "third eye" and has brought his ignorance into the many of the practicing of any earth based religion. Unfortunate but knowledge is power!

Blessed Be
    Lady Bastet