Black Christians : Can Christians Drink?

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by cherryblossom, Apr 7, 2009.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

What does the Bible say about drinking alcohol / wine? Is it a sin for a Christian to drink alcohol / wine?

Question: "What does the Bible say about drinking alcohol / wine? Is it a sin for a Christian to drink alcohol / wine?"

Answer: Scripture has much to say regarding the drinking of alcohol (Leviticus 10:9; Numbers 6:3; Deuteronomy 29:6; Judges 13:4,7,14; Proverbs 20:1; 31:4; Isaiah 5:11,22; 24:9; 28:7; 29:9; 56:12). However, Scripture does not necessarily forbid a Christian from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. In fact, some Scriptures discuss alcohol in positive terms. Ecclesiastes 9:7 instructs “drink wine with a merry heart.” Psalm 104:14-15 states that God gives wine “that makes glad the heart of men.” Amos 9:14 discusses drinking wine from your own vineyard as a sign of God’s blessing. Isaiah 55:11 encourages “yes, come buy wine and milk…”

What God commands Christians regarding alcohol is to avoid drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18). The Bible condemns drunkenness and its effects (Proverbs 23:29-35). Christians are also commanded to not allow their bodies to be “mastered” by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19). Drinking alcohol in excess is undeniably addictive. Scripture also forbids a Christian from doing anything that might offend other Christians or might encourage them to sin against their conscience (1 Corinthians 8:9-13). In light of these principles, it would be extremely difficult for any Christian to say he is drinking alcohol to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

Jesus changed water into wine. It even seems that Jesus drank wine on occasion (John 2:1-11; Matthew 26:29). In New Testament times, the water was not very clean. Without modern sanitation efforts, the water was often filled with bacteria, viruses, and all kinds of contaminants. The same is true in many third-world countries today. As a result, people often drank wine (or grape juice) because it was far less likely to be contaminated. In 1 Timothy 5:23, Paul was instructing Timothy to stop drinking the water (which was probably causing his stomach problems) and instead drink wine. In that day, wine was fermented (containing alcohol), but necessarily not to the degree it is today. It is incorrect to say that it was grape juice, but it is also incorrect to say that it was the same thing as the wine commonly used today. Again, Scripture does not forbid Christians from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. Alcohol is not, in and of itself, tainted by sin. It is, rather, drunkenness and addiction to alcohol that a Christian must absolutely refrain from (Ephesians 5:18; 1 Corinthians 6:12).

Alcohol, consumed in small quantities, is neither harmful or addictive. In fact, some doctors advocate drinking small amounts of red wine for its health benefits, especially for the heart. Consumption of small quantities of alcohol is a matter of Christian freedom. Drunkenness and addiction are sin. However, due to the biblical concerns regarding alcohol and its effects, due to the easy temptation to over-consumption of alcohol, and due to the possibility of causing offense and/or stumbling of others, it is usually best for a Christian to abstain entirely from drinking alcohol.

2. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    this is true that anything done in moderation is not harmful... it is the afflictions and addictions and attachments that get us into trouble....

what i do have a problem with is when wine is used to symbolize "blood".. vampires drink blood... and ghouls..which is a grave robber and a flesh eater..

most people drank back then because they eat meat... and meat is contaminated with blood.... most jews and muslims eat meat in which the blood has been drained out.....

jesus had pure blood so the whole ritual... breakin bread and drinkin blood ain't workin for me ......

again when u drink blood ur structure changes.... jesus ate fish... and natural things....

on occasion i eat meat because of the way that i've been programmed but hardly ever ....

it's always mind over matter.... but too much ain't never good...

3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

Miss Lady, I posted a thread about that very subject.

NO WHERE in the Bible does it say, "All things in moderation."

That is a man-made expression which many people think comes from the Bible.

The name of the thread is "Concerning: All Things In Moderation."

I'd love to read your thoughts on it.

4. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261

It doesn't matter if it doesn't say that verbatim in the bible...

Poetry is written in order that it may be interpreted for the self...

These are my thoughts on it.... in my words...

A preacher gives u his interpretation of what a scripture means to him..

This is what I know to be true for myself ....

like a scripture that holds meaning for me is..

GOD is a SPIRIT and they that worship him must worship him in SPIRIT and in TRUTH....

and the truth to me is my own interpretation ...

5. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    But if it doesn't say it AT ALL, then there is no "interpretation" which is valid.

This is the ONLY mention of the word "moderation" in the Bible:

Phil.4

[5] Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

All I'm saying is that the expression "All Things In Moderation" is not even a correct "interpretation" of that verse because it doesn't say it isn't there.

6. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261

the idea is that no one has the right to tell someone else what is right and not right in their life....

free will is just that...

like talib kweli said who is king james and why did he need his own version of the bible...

what is says to you is one thing and what it says to me is another... and that's fine ...

i don't wish to change your perception of your faith like i said u have my respect on that ....

i just choose a different path for myself ... well within my birth rites to do so...

nuff respect...

imma leave this one alone at that.

7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Miss Lady, I'm not being argumentativie with you.

I'm not trying to change your views and I don't think you're trying to change mine. I was only speaking to that particular expression and how it has been attributed to the Bible when it isn't in there.

I'm not even talking about "perception of faith" or King James.

I first mentioned the other thread which spoke to that saying/expression.
    You used it yourself in your first post.

But, I respect your stance on it.

8. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    that's all that it's about giving and getting respect..

c i even look at the word "moderation".....

in another thread u asked the brother if he is even a "moderator"...

this my point...

freedom is having the ability to say i don't need the "title" moderator to moderate....

if u quote from a book many of us here look not at the quotes but at the source ... and since king james is the source of most bibles being used today it is very important to overstand he...

we peaceful here and we make it work...

that's it no more no less...

so do your thang ma.. it's all good...

i like when someone stands up for what they beleive in... we can agree to disagree.. we can chop it up and throw ideas out there... but miss lady is always more interested in what ur soul has to say as opposed to a book... that's why a lot of the time u'll find me in the poetry section...

the bible is someone's poetry... but what u write is yours...

hotep

oh ps

the answer is

yes, christians can drink....

everybody can do what they want to do... that's choice.. or free will...

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and the Truth!

"Concerning: All Things In Moderation."

Ladies,

Very interesting back and forth on the issue of moderation going on here, with no real appreciable difference between the two (2) points. On the one hand, the bible doesn’t specifically state “ in moderation,” is indeed truth. While on the other hand, moderation is implicit. If drinking is allowed, and it is, then in order to not become drunk, moderation would certainly be the goal. In fact, without moderation, excessive amounts would be consumed, ultimately leading to drunkenness, in my view.

In cases of sharp disagreements between points of view, such as there is here; often it is the missing element of a little common sense that would make the controversy amiable. And all too often, personal interpretation of scripture minus the use of common sense, simply adds to the confusion. So, after reading both sides, neither is far apart from the other, yet no consensus-based resolution could be achieved, and that to a large degree, is troubling to an outsider.

Consider the Bible's use of the word temperance, as well. Control becomes key and operative not only for Christians, but for all people, hence moderation cannot be far away.

10. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Thanks Clyde for your response.

However, I think the crux of the exchange between Miss Lady and me lay in me quoting the Bible (King James Version or any other).

But, as a Christian, I can not NOT reference the book that is the guiding source for Christians just as a Muslim is guided by the Qu'ran.

So, my side of the debate was about the word "moderation" and what it means in the Bible as it is used there AND how that word has been attributed to the Bible in an expression that MAN invented.

But, yes, everything you've said here is on point. And I think that "common sense" you mentioned is also in the other thread I posted concerning the expression "All Things In Moderation."