Black People : Can Black People Afford To Do Without Money?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by kemetkind, May 8, 2007.

1. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    This question is stemming from a recent discussion in the IT Project Interest thread, but I've wondered about similar sentiments I've heard for a while now.

Some of us make a conscious decision to not deal with corporate america, start our own business, or engage in "legal" business of any kind.

Typically these folks still value $$ though, they just choose to get their hustle on by some other means, whether that involves an "illegal" enterprise or leaning on someone who does go up into the system to support themselves.

This new sentiment of we don't need $$ and won't do anything to acquire them is popular with wealthy euro liberals, but it apparently there are more black people starting to latch on to it.

Now I'm not asking about capitalism and whether it is the best economic model...most of us are aware of its destructive impact as currently implemented on the world stage.

My question is what are viable tactics for the black man and woman to get from A to B in a capital driven world.

Is it realistic for black people to join together and decide money has no value and flourish by trading skills & services amongst each other?

Or is money here to stay, seeing that the historical evolution of human economics for hundreds of years has kept the concept alive?...(i.e. before the dollar/pound/rupee/yen there was gold/silver and before that were cocoa beans and cowrie shells).

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother Kemetkind ... i don't think we can make it without money.

I spoke a little about this Sunday, in Class with Destee.

I believe it is because of money, or our collective reluctance to use it with each other, that hinders our forward progress.

Everything costs something. If we're not paying with money, we're paying with something.

It's hard to do what we need done collectively, without money, it is probably impossible.

I was speaking Sunday on what i would have as a STOP for Black People. This being inspired by Mr. Neely Fuller's Ten Basic Stops That Victims of Racism Should Practice in Speech and/or Action. While i don't have 10 of my own yet, the first one that came to my mind was ... STOP EXPECTING A HOOK UP. We devalue each other, and our expertise, contribution, etc., by expecting to get it for free or less than a fair and equitable exchange.

This has become a mantra it seems, in our communities ... but it's wrong, and speaks volumes in my opinion.

We don't go to Walmart or anywhere, asking them to reduce their price for us. We only do this to each other. It's really sad how we devalue each other. As though the Sister or Brother offering the service or product, isn't as deserving as the white, oriental, indian, or arab. It's just wrong. In addition, it keeps us from being able to put any real economic momentum under us. If you deny the Sister or Brother fair exchange for what they've invested their life into learning or providing, you hurt them ... and us ... because they don't have the money to give back. I suggested in class, rather than asking for a dime off, give them a dime more! Gosh.

Also ... because we don't use this resource (money) effectively with each other, we have essentially discouraged any of our young people from wanting to dedicate their life to fighting for us. What's in it for them, besides hunger and homelessness?! Why would any young person have hopes and dreams of working for the collective good of Black People, when Black People (collectively) don't wanna pay for a job well done?! I started this thread, Benefits Package For a Revolutionary, last year. It isn't even just our young, those before us, those who have already dedicated their lives to us, must live in meager, non-sufficient manners, as a result of their choice to fight for us. It's ridiculous. It's krazee.

I've heard we have billions of dollars that go through our collective hands each year, yet there is not one national / international organization, where a Sister or Brother can go ... if they're hungry ... to be fed by Black People.

We are really hurting ourselves, in so many ways.

But ... i think i have digressed ... :)

While some things can be done without money, it's very very very hard to do. I'm a living witness. Without money, pressures come to bear that put the entire effort in jeopardy. Things that really have nothing to do with the effort directly. For example, you just get tired of struggling. You get tired of working for a people that are not collectively inclined to give back. You are disheartened and discouraged all along the way. You must keep yourself focused and steadfast, in spite of the lack of financial help. It's hard, and it doesn't have to be.

My concern is for our future, the youth yet to rise up, and our glaring track record of leaving those like them, destitute.

With this being the case ... us not taking full advantage of what money can do ... we're probably doomed.

:heart:

Destee

3. mrron

mrron Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Given the economic system we have, there is no way to do without money. We can and do, do without currency. But money is a medium of exchange and if it is issued by the government, it is legal tender for most purchases, material, services and utilities.

Even if you didn't actually get paid in cash money, the IRS could still tax you based on the estimated value of the goods and services you bartered for, and they won't except anything but legal tender.

We would also find it very hard to help other's with what they need without it, because in most cases that would be something one cannot produce on his own. So we definitely need money and the more the merrier.

4. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Sister Destee,

For once I AGREE with you 100+%!

:kiss1:

For the last two years I have been learning this lesson the hard way and if I continue to provide educational, publishing and consulting "services" to "my People" any longer without financial compensation I will soon lose everything (materially) and homeless unable to pay my mortgage, unable to contribute to my daughter's law school tuition (Columbia aint cheap) while still having to pay a tax audit to the irs for making too much in previous years while having to pay rising health care costs which I must pay privately as a "sole proprietor".

I did not respond to the IT thread because I was reading and following along and did not want to muddy the water any further. However, as an "educational service provider" who has for years provided FREE web design, counseling and mentor services as a VOLUNTEER, I find that some folks would laugh at me if I , for example, provided tutoring or career/college prep counseling and asked my "professional rate" ($25 ph) and would expect less but this is below my $41.50 earned as a classroom teacher.

So, I am practically forced to return to the public system because of lack of "support" (i hate saying this), privately. Which is more "cost effective" when one has familial responsibilities?

Furthermore, I was in engineering for 5 years before switching to teaching and the company I worked for (hayakawa Associates) was one of california's major consulting engineering firms, and my experience early on in the 80s gave me insight (my Dad was a senior project manager) in IT development (I was a CADD "ojtrainee") and used this background to emerge among the math/sci/IT LEADERSHIP in southern california as this technology (pre-Internet) was emerging.

Do folks expect me 25 years later to CONTINUE working without compensation?

Well....I will not expect my daughter to continue doing so, paying her way through school (with some parental support), while running BLACk student newspapers and organizations, working various internships, staffing Black political campaigns all while having to matriculate through a graduate/law program.

While I may end up "destitute" and "homeless" (as I was 20 years ago) after dedicating my entire adult life to "the struggle", I darn sure dont expect my daughter (or my nieces) to follow suit.

One Love!
    :peace:

5. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Brother Omo please make comments to the IT Project thread, any opinions, ideas or concerns are welcome.

6. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

I will contribute when ready. Presently working on the design of my personal website (business) and an "e-learning community".

Peace!

7. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Economically, I as.sume?

I definately feel we ought to ONLY invest our money into unattainable goods such as cars, houses, land, etc. Necessities that hold their value with a good resale value. We ought to enact a barter trade for necessites like electronics, food, clothes and other perishable or easily-depreciable items. There's no sense in squandering your finances on easily attainable goods. This way our dollars could recycle themsleves much longer in our communities.

The only downside to a community-based bartering system is that many of us are too individualistic, and leery of one another. In the event, and until we rebuild our collective trust amongst ourselves, we'd need a notary of sorts; as proof of receipt.

Peace

8. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    On the HIGHEST Level of Afrikan Spirituality, we can DEFINETLY make it without money. However, when you are in a World where White Supremacy is operating alive and well, you sure will need money.

MK

9. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    typical "chicken/egg" issue: continue chasing the dollar, supremelunacy flourishes with your help. stop chasing the dollar, it crashes.

it's gonna take a LOT of critical thinking!! too bad there isn't some sort of system in place that triggers such thinking, eh?

10. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Money precedes white supremacy so there's probably more to it than that.

Money in and of itself is nothing but a more efficient means of exchanging goods and services than bartering.

If we don't graduate from bartering, I have to want what you have to sell and you have to want what I have to sell...usually at the same time.

If the service you provide is worth a whole lot more than the service I provide then it will be tough for us to orchestrate a fair exchange...you will take a loss or decide it's not worth it and I will go without.

Here is a group that is trying to improve upon the barter concept.

http://www.geocities.com/theskillspool/index.html

It's an interesting note that even they are requiring dollars for entry into the pool.

It would be a serious power move for black people to develop our own monetary exchange system....crippling the dollar's impact over us.

But IMHO trying to do without money and going back to bartering doesn't represent progress.