Black Education / Schools : Can black English help black children learn better? One educator believes so

Sounds like a great idea to me. Kids are bound to learn better in their own language. My only disagreement with anything was in regard to this sentence:

He Writes in Proper English and Ebonics.

The term 'Proper English' just doesn't sit right with me. It makes it sound as though the two languages, or better, the two varieties of English aren't of equal worth. I'm not saying that was the intention at all but it gave me one of my 'poked with a pencil moments' I get sometimes when reading stuff.

Yes, there is implicit bias within the words you cite, which results from the standard allowing the expression of literary freedoms. Often, we lose cite of the fact that writers convey their thoughts to a target market, and that market excludes, for the most part, the African American community.

Keep on Keeping on!

I too have been experimenting with eubonics in poetry.

_____

We bees Kings
of days yor

my Mammy be sittin'
and keepin' it real

while whitey be talkin' smack
and keepin' it down

Dey don't no smack
To be talkin' so loud

like my mammy, I be sittin'
and keepin' it real

Ebonics? Seriously???? If adult people from Mongolia can learn American English as a second language Black kids can learn it from birth. Nigerians, Chinese and others that are excelling academically are not getting linguistic concessions, why should we? This BS says that AAs are incapable of doing what others can.

No HR person will be speaking Ebonics during interviews...but more than likely they will know Spanish and possibly Mandarin.

Ebonics = would you like to supersize that?

We need to work on making sure that Black kids in lower socio economic school districts have accredited school programs which many in Ferguson do not.

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/hi...-for-racial-equality/55c4e354fe3444429b000278

Last edited:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back