Black Education / Schools : Can black English help black children learn better? One educator believes so

Vietnamese, Hispanics, and Those from India who are now speaking English have no mastery of the language. Anyone who say we need to speak properly in order to be accepted in America has it wrong.

Each of those race of people were placed in front for selection for government assistance, jobs and opportunity before they could speak English, half as good as slaves spoke ( Ebonics ) Broken English.

Improving today how our children speak will be just that and that only. They will still not attain respect they deserve. They still not not assail in the work place and in business.
Police brutally will still be unfairly doled out to African Americans regardless of how well they speak.

If we spoke another language and not the tongue of our ancestors oppressors. They would treat us better. Because they would not not know what we are saying and would spend money to then learn what we are speaking.

Vietnamese workers chat and banter about general stuff all day out loud at work. The boss says nothing. He does not know and they will say it was job related, if I briefly speak to my co-worker across the room about the game last night or something. My boss would say. Get to work, no private conversations.

Vietnamese, Hispanics, and Those from India who are now speaking English have no mastery of the language. Anyone who say we need to speak properly in order to be accepted in America has it wrong.

My Hispanic and Indian neighbors speak Standard English. The Vietnamese Urologist I know also speaks Standard English. That also goes for my Caribbean Mother-in-Law and Korean Aunt by marriage. Those people in the groupings you mentioned who do not speak standard English are normally working the same sort of jobs that our own people who do not speak Standard English are relegated to. Most of them are also new immigrants who are fluent in an actual language other than English. You can bet that the ones who desire for their children to do well in this country will have children who can speak Standard English. Those who don't care will have children who speak broken English, relegated to menial jobs and poverty unless they own a business.

As Black Phoenix has pointed out, do we really want to embrace an idea that or children are not as capable as other peoples? We have been here for over 400 years and we are unable to master the language as well as second generation African Immigrants? I know that is not the case, because my entire immediate and most of my extended family are capable of speaking Standard English. Embracing Ebonics would just be an admission of failure on our part, and it would hinder our children from ever learning English correctly. We would condemn our most vulnerable children who desire to rise above their condition to a life of poverty, with their only exits out being entertainment, sports, or criminal activity. We would be doing the white supremacists job for them.

My Hispanic and Indian neighbors speak Standard English. The Vietnamese Urologist I know also speaks Standard English. That also goes for my Caribbean Mother-in-Law and Korean Aunt by marriage. Those people in the groupings you mentioned who do not speak standard English are normally working the same sort of jobs that our own people who do not speak Standard English are relegated to. Most of them are also new immigrants who are fluent in an actual language other than English. You can bet that the ones who desire for their children to do well in this country will have children who can speak Standard English. Those who don't care will have children who speak broken English, relegated to menial jobs and poverty unless they own a business.

As Black Phoenix has pointed out, do we really want to embrace an idea that or children are not as capable as other peoples? We have been here for over 400 years and we are unable to master the language as well as second generation African Immigrants? I know that is not the case, because my entire immediate and most of my extended family are capable of speaking Standard English. Embracing Ebonics would just be an admission of failure on our part, and it would hinder our children from ever learning English correctly. We would condemn our most vulnerable children who desire to rise above their condition to a life of poverty, with their only exits out being entertainment, sports, or criminal activity. We would be doing the white supremacists job for them.

THANK YOU!!!!

Who wants to do this experiment with their kids?

Exactly!!! My kids will be doing fine sounding like the spoiled, entitled brats that expected to command all around them. No lie, my 18 year old dark skinned son was with his friend (white) skidded on ice and mashed up the friend's dad Lincoln in a small town upstate. I got a call from the police at 2AM explaining the situation and also that son DEMANDED they call the Nassau county police department to have them be picked up and return to the Island ( he actually thought they would provide taxi and limo services). I requested they handcuff him to a desk....they declined. Anyway, I got dress and ran out of there with my daughter because I wasn't sure if those people had seen a real live negro before and didn't want to chance my son having an "accident" in police custody. They were very nice and asked if he was on Zanax because he was hyper....it was a very small police station and I think he got a bout of claustrophobia...GOOD. The bottom line is my kids are given much more leeway because of how they speak and present themselves.

I have also had run ins with the police...during a nasty custody battle my ex and his then gf got me arrested after family court for leaving a nasty message on their answering machine ( something about telephone harassment). When I went to the station the cops let me sit at their desk, they gave me pizza one of them had bought and even apologized when the had to cuff me at the desk because a CO had come through. The best part was when my ex and his skank gf showed up she got arrested for the same offense of leaving nasty messages on my phone...dumb bish... They put her in a cell while I chatted at the desk. I had to be sent for county lock up in the morning and court to see the judge which they again apologized for.

The bottomline is if my kids or I spoke Ebonics it would be most likely different stories. I'm not saying that my speech patterns shield me from racists, it does however perplex most of them and gives me an upper hand because they relate to me.

*sigh*
Ebonics was something we invented so massa wouldn't understand what we were talking about. Each generation had a version. But we also knew how to speak standard English

Partly true Kemetstry, however, it is a language. So, let's also expand the definition some and provide a solution rather just cannon fodder:

"Many Black Americans do not speak standard English. They speak Ebonics ("Ebony," meaning "black" and "phonics," meaning "sound") -- a language which evolved in the Americas as a result of the adaptation of English words to an African language system. Since many African Americans do not speak standard English, "it is more than reasonable to suggest that in order to effectively and sussessfully teach the culturally and linguistically different Black child in the urban school the English language, the logical place to begin is with the cultural and linguistic experiences of the Black child. That is, with Ebonics, using a bilingual and bicultural approach."

This is the view of Dr. Ernie A. Smith, a distinguished author, lecturer and professor of linguistics at California State University at Fullerton." ...

http://www.melanet.com/clegg_series/ebonics.html

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back