Black Education / Schools : Can black English help black children learn better? One educator believes so

Finally, broad sweeping statements made without an ounce of supportive evidence, precludes me from taking you seriously:

I did write, "The research is from 2005, but there has not been any significant improvements since then. Their scores are lower than what our children already achieve. ESL has shown to be a failure for those who actually need it."

lexingtoninstitute.org/repairing-the-nations-education-system-for-adult-english-learners

I still can't create links, so above is the best that can be done. The link is to a July 1, 2013 study conducted by the Lexington Institute.

"• Available government data suggests the adult English as a Second Language system is failing, with only 40% of participants advancing in proficiency each year."

As recent as 2013, a study proves that ESL is failing. I am using far more updated info than you are, considering the fact that MAAT newsletter you link is from 1997.

Your link to the original post.

I've read the Original link you posted. Do you know what that news link does not possess? It does not possess a link to the actual study she has conducted. It does not display any information on tests conducted that demonstrated that using her methods were successful. There is no statistical information that can be gleaned from that site that supports a determination that her suggestions will be viable.

I've also searched around on other sites that mention the same study, and came away again with a dearth of statistical information. So, I searched out the study for myself and found a partial excerpt from it. It is at this partial link:

justinecassell.com/publications/Cassell_HCII09.pdf

As you can see, it is a pdf file. The research was conducted in 2008 and published in 2009. Unfortunately the research excerpt possesses no quantifiable information that can be used to determine if it will actually aid in our students lagging academic achievements.

The link you displayed and the actual research excerpt I've found are unconvincing. I would have to see information on test scores and comparison of test scores. If there is data that shows her methods do help close the achievement gap, then I would be willing to reconsider my position. No data is shown and I simply do not accept arguments made by "An Appeal to Authority".

:facepalm:
Your link back to page 2.

I already pointed out that none of that has any quantifiable data to show that teaching in Ebonics will close the achievement gap. There are no comparison of test scores and no data showing using Ebonics in the classroom increased student proficiency in Math and Sciences as demonstrated via improved testing scores. Your link also points back to that 1997 MAAT paper that I have already pointed out does not have any quantifiable data in it. All your argument does is commit the logical fallacy, "Appeal to Authority."

Well I have made my point and I will end it here, unless you have some real quantifiable information supporting your position.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back