African Traditional Religion : Can anybody reference the African Village??

Discussion in 'African Traditional Religion Study Group' started by nixprophet, Aug 13, 2012.

1. nixprophet

nixprophet Psalms 82:6 MEMBER

Young Black Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +357
    Peace to All!!

Recently I have read through The Handbook of Yoruba Religious Concepts and Imoye both by Baba ifa karade.. These books have been monumental for me and a big help..

I grew up around Santeria / Palo and Voodoo but actually shied away from everything as my Family started to focus on Islam / Buddhism while growing up...

As a youth I grew up going to "Misas" and I have been around a lot of practices within the tradition but as I said my family kind of shied away from everything after about the first 12 years of my life... I am now in the position where I have been studying and I have been trying to take care of the "Elegua" that I had as a youth ( My peoples have never thrown away any of our Santos ) that has been un attended due to the circumstances that I have already stated.. Asking around and searching the internet and doing the research I have somewhat learned what my Elegua needs and how to offer to him and dispose of offerings as well...

After reading the above books I have desided that I really do not want anything to do with "Santeria" or Voodoo outside of respecting its existence and the work of our ancestors therein( No disrespects to anybody in fact only plenty much love! but I personally am just seeking Ifa in its purest form that I have found which comes from the "Yoruba" who I am inclined into believing are my Ancestors ) ...

Long story short I am seeking initiation into Ifa or at least SERIOUS study and the closest place to me that I know of is "The African Village" in SC.... I would like to know if anybody has any experience with it or has any knowledge of it and if "The African Village" is trust worthy... Does anybody have any stories, knowledge, reference or ANYTHING to/about it??

Thanks Again...

Peace.. Peace..

2. alycia

alycia Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I wish I could help you. But I just wanted to comment that I know what you mean about calling on the ancestors. I sometimes believe that as things got more intense for us as a people (slavery, wars, etc) we had to get more intense and call on more intense egunguns. Sometimes, we had to go a little higher up the chain, so to speak, and go for the big gun type spirits. lol Once it was seen what spirit could do and did what, they began to be thoroughly respected and called on more and more often, and then the rituals and altars became more and more elaborate and intense. I believe all have their place. I refrain from saying one method is better than the other (I realize you didn't either). It all depends on where people are in their spiritual walk in this life. I realize we are all spirits, except we're encumbered with a body. We have a lot more power than most people know.

3. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I know nothing about them, but I'll call some one who might. Let you know.

4. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
  5. mushee

mushee Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    We as Africans of the (Diaspora) need to reconnect back with nature(neter) if nothing else because we and nature are one!!!! Amen

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Oyotunji.

I can't post the link now.

This is the last pilgrimage I must make here before my passing.

7. nixprophet

Young Black Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +357
    Thats whats up, I know where it's at its just hard to get any solid information about it, but I guess your response says it all...

Thanks for the response brethren, It's greatly appreciated! I guess im going to try to get some more info on it and check it out myself...

Peace.. Peace..

8. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I don't have any experience with The Village but have close friends who have been involved with it on differentR levels. The Village is not what it used to be.

Do you have an effective way to communicate with your Esu, this is critical in determining what it requires. What purpose was it made for you? Do you remember the name of its path?

If you haven't done so, it would be a good idea to have a (Ipele Fa) roots reading done before having Dafa performed to find out IF you're supposed to receive Ifa.

Before doing any of the aforementioned make a concerted effort to study the Yoruba people and culture, including their language.

One last thing, Isese cannot be seperated from Vodun as Vodun is the parent culture of Isese

9. nixprophet

Young Black Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +357

Brethren Thanks for the Response! It is greatly appreciated and I will take heed..

I did not know that about Isese but now I do and I have respected Vodun as I grew up around it, but I was under the impression that it has been synchronized with some foreign elements? I was trying to get to the root source of the tradition but if such is the case then I will make effort into a continued study of Vodun..

Basically your recommendation would be to Learn as much of the Yoruba Language, Culture, History and it's elements before attempting anything?? I can do that...

I actually just speak to my Esu but I will try to ask the family to find out its path and purpose... I will get an "Ipele Fa" reading as soon as the opportunity presents itself.. ( I am going to have to travel for that one )

I appreciate your Response Brethren and thanks again!

Peace.. Peace..

10. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Isese simply means tradition. It falls under the cultural umbrella of Vodun. Voodoo is an american tradition that Africans in the U.S. developed by adding 1st nation shamanism, catholicism to Ba kongo and West Afrikan spiritual systems. Haitian Vodun incorporates just as many if not more Afrikan systems. Vodun is highly secretive and far more exclusive than Isese/orisa. Reading books about Vodun can only teach you so much. You'll need someone to physically teach you.

Try out www.NewAfrikanvodun.com

Rest and draw from the water