Pan Africanism : Can Africa be united without war?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by kemetkind, Jun 18, 2006.

1. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I'm seeking input on this one.

If we look at the condition of black people in the diaspora and in Africa, the problem always comes back to the lack of any black nation which truly controls its resources enough to act in the interests of its people.

There are many black nations that have theoretical independence, but foreign governments still control most of what really makes those nations run.

It appears in most cases a few wealthy black folks in positions of power, both in African leadership and the diaspora, are too blinded by greed to change this situation.

How could Africa become united as a single nation instead of a disjointed bunch of ethnic groups giving away its resources to foreign interests?

If I look at history, I see great nations being forged by charismatic but ruthless and violent leaders. In fact I can't think of any great empire formed by anything other than force.

Is the missing component of panafricanism a militaristic movement that will reject any existing national boundaries and seek to unite Africa by force?

Will black blood need to be shed, by black people, in order for black people to reach their future potential?

Curious what you guys think on this.

2. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Unfortunately...yes..at least in some cases. Since many blacks, via centuries of brainwashing, will fight for the enemy before their own, the use of force will be necessary. However, I would certainly hope that the powers that be would exhaust all forms of social and political pressure/force before resorting to militaristic action. The greatest fight will begin at home, but every attempt should be made to prepare people through education and awareness of what is needed. Otherwise, we risk the efforts being sabotaged and/or run the risk of further abuse of power through unnecessary bloodshed.

3. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    one of these days, somebody (else) will also realize that the only thing that war brings is more war. maybe Africa will be that "somebody" ... some day ... force only begets force.

the only way to "win" this "war" is by an overwhelming individual assertion of Internal Peace within each Human ... but, <sigh>, i suppose it is still much too early to think that Humans are gonna get to that.

Perhaps Africa could be the one that grows up first? ... ...

4. kemetkind

Ratings:
    +61

I hear you AnAfrican. But it appears to me the only thing that prevents war is strength, not weakness.

Look at the animal kingdom for example, animals that have very destructive weapons have evolved higher forms of combat than brute force (snakes and their rituals are one example) .

They recognize that using their full strength would certainly destroy each other. Their potency is a deterrent.

Africa's condition now seems to ATTRACT war and death, like a magnet. That weakness entices.

If African governments remain in their current condition 50 years from now, won't blacks be pawns waiting to find out whether we get an Asian master or a Euro one?

If NATO and the SCO got together tomorrow and decided to call a truce and divide up Africa...again...and enslave the whole continent....who would stop them?

Please keep in mind I'm not advocating violence, I'm just questioning philosophically whether there's a way black people can acquire a true independence and global strength without it.

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Has any nation in the history of the world obtained true independence and global strength without violence? The answer to that is the answer to this question.

6. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    what do we know about "the history of the world" except that which is written by those that would/do have a stake in maintaining a certain position? the answer to that should be as clear as the nose on the Sphinx, no?

also, "historically speaking" has differences at (for example) 6 yrs old, 15 yo, 35 yo and 90 yrs old, eh? that is to say, knowing that "history" has been mangled, someday (i "pray") we'll have grown beyond all this apparent "need" for fighting/war and look back at our current "now" and shake our heads sadly.

but, yeah; that's tomorrow - today it looks as bad as is being considered here.

on the other hand "The African Race is like a rubber ball; the harder it is thrown down, the higher it rises up!"

(and then we get to another hand: are we talking about Africans or are we talking about "black people"? would not "black people" include those other non-African groups that appear to be "black"? pardon my american education but i think i'm referring to, for example, west indians? truth, the title of this thread specifically refers to Africa, but the body of the thread speaks of Africans and "black people" ... )

7. kemetkind

Ratings:
    +61
    I feel you on this brother. I mean I think about this and keep searching for some scenario where we all wake up and decide to unite for our own good.

I should qualify I'm talking about Black people worldwide.

On the one hand it seems like pan-africanism and this yearning for a united Africa is coming mainly from those displaced in the diaspora.

I would imagine continental Africans would consider it arrogant for us in the diaspora to suggest Africa must be united under one nation.

I can see the argument now....Germany and France and Britain and Russia are not one nation - why should black Africa try to be?

I'm interested to know how Ibrahim, militant, and any of the other African members feel on this.

Is it realistic to expect Africans to ever DECIDE to voluntarily rewrite their own boundaries?

8. militant

militant Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Alot of people delude themelves by saying Africans consisted or warring tribes are never practised Pan-Africanism. However, these people need to go back and read history as they forgot about the special case of West African "Pan-Africanism" under the empires of Mali, Ghana, Oyo and likewise. This regional Pan-ism forms the basis of my thought process.

I dont delude myself with some fantasy of a big African Federation where everyone lives side by side under one country ANYTIME SOON. The internal resentment among some African countries is simply not overcomable. If you doubt me, attend any recent African "union" meeting and watch the wonders of African resentments.

I prefer to stick to regional integration AT THE MOMENT. The region where I am from, West Africa is twice the size of Europe, having a population of 250 million and will be having the population of Europe by 2030. At present, our population size and land mass is comparable to America's. We also are the third most integrated region after the EU and ASEAN region. We currently have a common passport, and eventually a common curreny by 2009. I think Brother Ibrahim will bear witness to the fact that alot of Senegalese, Liberians, Nigerians are in his country without any harrasment from Ghanaians, likewise alot of Ghanaians are in these west african countries. On the other hand these people cannot go to say South Africa or Kenya without being visciously maltreated. When liberian police was cracking down on foreigners, the West Africans were able to mobilize a protest, and made an appeal to the Liberian and ECOWAS court because it went against the principles of a united West Africa. In effect, West Africans got Pan-Africanism practised to a "P", while many other regions are still territorial.

There is an economic future for west africans if AT THE MOMENT, we dedicate ourselves to a west african pan-ism, instead of chasing the futility of some idealistic Pan-africanism. The internal competition between African countries is just simple unreal. Firstly, South Africans and East Africans remain largely hostile to West Africans particularly Nigerians. Southern Africans in particular cannot openly accept black african immigrants into their country, rather chosing Europeans and Indians. Libya is trying to bring Africa under the rule of Ghadarfi. It is one circus I must say.

I say, each region (West African, East Africa, e.t.c) work with people they can get along with. Once we form larger nations with our regions, then these larger nations can decide if they are able to overcome their resentment between each other to form one larger African federation.

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Brother, in all respect, it was this EMPIRE BUILDING PROCESS, ESPECIALLY IN FORGING THE OYO CONFEDERACY which had a lot to do with how many Afrikans ended up in the "new world"....

likewise, what some are proposing , from OUTSIDE as far as unification, does not take into account the amount of bloodshed and further DE-POPULATION of thhe afrikan continenet that would most likely result if this "unification" was tried by force. This is why I continue to propose that folks who are so adamant about a "united stats of afrika" or any such union actually go there and work towards that goal...

the one organization that i know which probably worked towards that goal from outside was the a-aprp but very very afrikans took the party seriously because while they supposedly were based in Guinea during the presidency of ahmed sekou toure, "the Party" was not organizing peasants and workers in afrika....there attention was focused on college students in THE UNITED STATES...

as a party organizer this i found to be disturbing but what was more obvous was the overall lack of organizng by afrikans on the "mainland" towards this objective and Its my belief that the a-aprp itself damaged not only its reputation but the ideal of pan-african union by supporting the Eritrean people's liberation front (eplf)....This was a crusing blow to the marxist Ethiopian government and the Soviets began to withdraw before its collapse leaving more room for the us and china to maneuver.

so, my question is, practically, who is to spearhead this movement when countries place their own survival over continental union. Furthermore, if so many Black people are opposed to having non-Black "allies" how then does one propse to deal with the "Arabs", Islamic and non-Islamic...does anyone really thik "Black Afrika" has the resoures, technology and manpower to "eliminate" this population which has maintained a increasing presence since the hittites and asyrians invaded around 1600 b.c. and miscegenated with the indigenous population?

10. militant

militant Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Granted my miseducation on the Oyo confederacy, we are saying the same thing. As for your question on some pan-ism organization in African, visit http://www.ecowas.int and all the sites that it linked to.