Science and Technology : Can A Folder In Windows Accidently Be Sent To The Recycle Bin While IIt Is Open?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by river, Feb 2, 2006.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I have a project due tomorrow. we are supposed to program five mock robot brains to find their way through a maze.

I started to work on it this morning when I came to class but the teacher wanted us to work on something else. After class I started working on the robots project. But when I tried to shut down to go to dinner the application said it could not find part of the path the project is in. i read what the message box said and found out the project is supposed to be in a folder called assignments. This folder has been missing for a few days now so I don't know how I could have opened the project if that's where it is supposed to be.

I found the folder in the Recycle Bin and restored it but I still could not save the project because it is suposed to be in a folder in the Assignments folder called Robots which was not in the Recycle Bin. I tried to create a folder called Robots but it would not let me save it there.

I don't know how this could have happened by accident since the computer always asked if you are sure you want to delete something. If it didn't happen by accident the only person that could have done it is my teacher because the other students are stone blind and have to use a screen reader which does not come up automatically on my computer.

Could it have happened accidentally?

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    sorry to be so late.

had you created a folder called Robots at any time before attempting to save or during class? was the teacher still in the classroom while you were working "after class"? do you know if any puters had been shut down "after class". i'm thinking it might be possible that your classroom puters are on a network and that your "home folder" might actually be on another computer.

it is possible that you were able to open the project because the app went ahead and created it. however, it might have "assigned" the project to a folder on a different computer (the aforementioned "home folder server"<grin> well, it's actually a "network shared folder" - and down inside it to Assignments\Robots.). when you attempted to save it, "path not found" as in, possibly, lost in the recycle bin, or the path was disrupted by the puter holding the network "share being" down (computer off).

"folder missing for a few days"? you've seen that it's not there? and you didn't do anything to it, previously? sounds most like a network share issue; somehow, for some reason, the network link from your puter to the network computer that actually hosts that folder couldn't be found. but i would think that there would have been some other sort of indication.

on the other hand, yes, it is possible that the folder could have gotten deleted accidently. it is possible that the folder could have been deleted by someone on another computer. it is possible that, at some point, someone could have sat at that puter and played around: are you required to log in before you can begin work? (which should have been asked before speculating on the possibility of a network share issue - in case of need to log in, it could be that you are logging on to a shared home directory/account that belongs to student number "youRiver".)

3. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    sorry im so late as well.. but go to document history if it was in word.. its possible that the folder was accidentally made invisable. go to ctrl panel and folders, and to options.. and clike show all folders, or invisiblle folders.

4. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    "set invisible"?? wha for i wan somebody hide me folder from me??? why is that there? yeah, i know the pr. m$washing another standard ...

my "folders" are only accessible to me, and those with root privileges. don't have to hide them; if you ain't me, or in my group, my folders are not on the system .. as far as anybody else is concerned.

MiniClass: Chroot Jail
    only the root system is actually running on the computer. all other services are running in a so-called "chroot jail": as far as they are concerned, the entire computer is all being used exclusively by "their" process. all users are merely "desktop environment" instance processes, running in "your" home directory). and if/when they drop to the shell (cmd prompt, or dos prompt) all the information that they can figure out about that computer that is telling them everything about that computer is responding a simple mirrored file that report selected bits about that hardware. everything that they do in that desktop environment, and the things that they do while within that DE, do impact their computing environment (they can "crash their computer" or "get a virus") wil all be gone, and have no effect on the puter or any of the the other users that are logged in at the same time on the same machine.

(oops! got lost in time; got a cab due here right now. bye.

5. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Thisi s baffling.

What you are saying could be the answer except the folder and project in question was in My Documents. Could that be on a networ? I do have a folder on the server which I access from my Z drive to turn in my completed projects for grading but the teacher acts like My Documents is on the local drive. I never shut down I just log off.

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Thanks poetic, We will get to the bottom of this

7. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    yes; z drive is mapped to the shared drive on the server that contains the directory structure "...\River\My Documents\" (and there might even be that blah\settings\blah before, after, in the middle of, or where ever microsoft has decided to put that folder this time. but the only thing you know about it is My Documents\YourStuff\). calling it z drive is almost like a tradition for institutional networks as in schools and such. that's the whole beauty of networking .. and the trap that the industry has folks in: it's supposed to act like a local drive and it is treated as a local drive. ... sometimes the duck is a pheasant. <grin>

8. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    besides; student puter labs get weird. there are directories shared all over the building. there are networks and sub-networks and encrypted shares and student networks and and and ... it's a great puzzle!! always weirdness. especially when there are students who just know that they know what the are doing when they try the l33+ tRx ... <whew!> worked a few; built a few. fun! well, I like it!!